What color would Hitler paint his taxis?

ablarc

Reaction score
IMG_0665.jpg
Boston cabs should all be the same color, and I'm pretty sure it isn't white.

Re: W Hotel

^they may all be at least partially white, but they don't all look alike, which I think is Ablarc's point. I think all of Boston's cabs should be sent back to the junkyard from whence they came. There's a reason they were auctioned by the police--because they are no longer fit for commercial service, and they were never fit for passenger service.

True, there is no excuse for them not to be, and coordinated cab colours tend to be the mark of great cities (although there are exceptions - Paris cabs have never been so distinguished). Even in ass-poor Cairo's hideously impoverished hackney corps have had no problem adhering to the black and white stripe pattern the government requires them to follow - and their ratty old Fiats, Ladas, and Dacias manage to look (relatively) smart as a result.

DSCF2331.JPG

On the counter point....I like knowing which cab company is affiliated with the driver that I am getting into. I refuse to take Top Cab unless I'm forced (such as being unlucky in line at Logan) They seem to have a much looser set of standards for cab cleanliness and driver backgrounds. This was my assumption based on mere observation for quite some time, until a Top Cab driver actually confirmed this by telling me he could only get a gig with an owner affiliated with TC, since having his hackney license reinstated after a 10 year suspension for beating some kids with a tire iron that threw something at his cab.

MetroCab is on speed-dial.....5 times out of 10, they'll be better than average

what is this the hilter regime here? who cares what color cabs are. A cab is a cab as long as the thing isn't pre-1990 and somewhat clean whats the big deal...People getting stuck up about cabs... wow.

Since I rarely take cabs, their only real impact on my life is when I see them on the street. Why can't I express an opinion of how much better they'd look with a uniform color ordinance? The building codes of any American city are hardly more "Hitler regime".

If it were up to me, I'd ban the unsightly megapickup trucks that are strangely popular in this country, too.

^^yes, most of them don't have a reason to have a megapickup truck, but many people actually use them to work, so banning them would just inconvenience millions. Besides, they aren't really ugly anyway, at least the new ones (the old ones, yes, but it is because it's function over form).

what is this the hilter regime here? who cares what color cabs are. A cab is a cab as long as the thing isn't pre-1990 and somewhat clean whats the big deal...People getting stuck up about cabs... wow.
Panties in a bunch.

Of all the threads on this board to get Godwin'd I wouldn't have expected this one.

One reason some cities mandate uniform colors for cabs (often yellow) is so that pedestrians can easily identify and hail them.

yes, most of them don't have a reason to have a megapickup truck, but many people actually use them to work, so banning them would just inconvenience millions. Besides, they aren't really ugly anyway, at least the new ones (the old ones, yes, but it is because it's function over form).

Hmm, I don't know how necessary they are for anyone, really. Do people in urban Boston do jobs that people in London or Prague don't do? Because I've never seen a megapickup truck in those cities.

And yellow's a good choice because relatively few people would choose it as the color of their private car.

New York cabs went through a transition when the yellow was usually mixed with a second color, most often red or green. The colors were often separated by a checkered band.

Re: What color taxi would Hitler drive?

Boston hybrid and clean fuel cabs have a giant green strip on them, so that's .... something.

Re: What color taxi would Hitler drive?

^^Of course, that quote now makes zero sense detached from the original thread. *sigh*

First Google image result for "Nazi taxi":

2391225097_b00a057622.jpg

Hmm, I don't know how necessary they are for anyone, really. Do people in urban Boston do jobs that people in London or Prague don't do? Because I've never seen a megapickup truck in those cities.

I disagree. Here in the good 'ol U.S. of A. we like to get a little mud on the tires of our Ford/Dodge/Chevy Gas Guzzling Mega Trucks. The Queeropean countries don't know how to bleed Red White and Blue like we do (even though London and Prague are in countries where the flags are also Red, White and Blue, but as a gun-toting, pick-up driving hick I wouldn't know that). [/ Patriotic/Country Sarcasm]

Point being, the Mega Pickup (which, btw, most of the time you see them they are empty) are a gas guzzling, over-sized mutant version of the light, fuel sipping work trucks found in Europe and Asia. They are absurdly larger and flashier than their European cousins. The difference between the two is usually width of wheel base (narrower in European trucks), 4-6 Cylinders (Euro.) v. 8 cylinders (U.S.) or small diesel engine (euro) v. large diesel (US).

The ones in Europe (and Asia) do the same job with a more efficient, smaller, and economical package. There's no need for the American Super Truck.

Euro/Asian Work Truck:

Edit**

Oh yeah, taxis. I agree a stand-out uniform color would be smart. Two of my most memorable images of cities are seeing the sea of yellow cabs from the top of the Empire State Building in NYC and thousands of green taxis (and Auto-rics) in New Delhi. White just doesn't stand out

Last edited:
Y'all watching too many movies. I've seen a bunch of hybrid cabs white with a brown stripe, never any green ones. They're usually Toyota Camry's.

hack.

Back