What is the exact height of Eastgate Student Housing?

If I wasn't defending / submitting my dissertation this month, I might have time to go to http://web.mit.edu/facilities/maps/archives.html and see if I can find the drawings...

Also, though I moved out in August, I haven't taken myself off the dorm mailing list yet and apparently they're currently replacing the elevators, so there might be some public permit available somewhere describing the replacement that may include the building height. Unfortunately, the elevator replacement is not sexy enough to be included here http://capitalprojects.mit.edu/ (although there are some other interesting things there that I didn't know about).

Thanks for the links. So far this is what I found:

On the Skyscraperpage it is listed as 357 ft. (antenna) and 30 floors.

On Emporis it is listed as 356.96 ft to the tip and estimate full height is 367.2 feet, with 30 floors.

Wikipedia has it as 29 floors, no height.

MIT Campus Planning Book - 30 stories, no height.

I got the 270 feet from looking at the Kendall Square Final Report 2013 (K2C2), page 20 and 21. Listed on that page also is the height of numerous other buildings in the immediate area (like the Green building, listed at 312 ft (including radar dome???)). What I find there is good information, but I'm not sure if that is the height of the highest occupied floor, architectural, overall or for that particular zone.

I'm just trying to figure out what the actual architectural height is, total height (with mechanical/elevator housing) and height with radio tower. Once I can figure this out, I plan on updating Wikipedia, SSP and Emporis with the accurate info, instead of numerous estimates.

Last edited:
The top story is 29 counting the lobby as 0 (which is sort of below grade), so depending on the convention that's either 29 or 30 stories.

i.e. on the elevator it's:

GR (where you usually enter, the lobby and front desk). This is listed as 0 on MIT's restricted floorplans site.
PL (not sure what PL stands for, maye Plaza? It's a daycare possible to enter through a staircase on the side of the building.)
PH (penthouse. resident lounge + study room + bike storage + laundry + rooftop grade + kid's playroom)

There are stairs going up from PH that go to the roof and mechanical, which is listed as 30 on MIT's restricted floorplan site but is not inhabitable.

There IS a floor 13 (I lived on it).

13 is a good number! Hopefully I will get some time in August to come down there to find out what the actual height is. Those records are someplace!

Back