What is this, a city for ants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you posting the same pics in multiple threads?

Cut 62 pics down to 14, posted across 7 threads, 0 repeats. Maybe 3-4 looked quite similar but with up to a 50x zoom they focus on slightly different subject matter or otherwise aren't zoomed to the same size.

In this case I also happened to repeat the same hike I took a few weeks ago. Again, similar, but no reposts. No "same pics." None. Not my style.

Couple of counterpoints....
1. Since all photos are linked, it's very easy to see that they were not actually the same pictures. In fact, over 77% of the photos taken went unposted.
2. When you don't find things interesting, the polite thing to do is ignore and scroll by. Not everything is interesting to everybody.

Here's the photostream screenshot. It's very easy to see that none of these are the same. I'm sure it took me a lot more time to cut the 62 down to about 25, edit them all, and then cut that 25 down to 14, than it would take you to just scroll past it instead of making some snarky comment. (or to even "do the research" by simply clicking into my photostream)

1682362023573.png

Cut 62 pics down to 14, posted across 7 threads, 0 repeats. Maybe 3-4 looked quite similar but with up to a 50x zoom they focus on slightly different subject matter or otherwise aren't zoomed to the same size.

In this case I also happened to repeat the same hike I took a few weeks ago. Again, similar, but no reposts. No "same pics." None. Not my style.

Couple of counterpoints....
1. Since all photos are linked, it's very easy to see that they were not actually the same pictures. In fact, over 77% of the photos taken went unposted.
2. When you don't find things interesting, the polite thing to do is ignore and scroll by. Not everything is interesting to everybody.

Here's the photostream screenshot. It's very easy to see that none of these are the same. I'm sure it took me a lot more time to cut the 62 down to about 25, edit them all, and then cut that 25 down to 14, than it would take you to just scroll past it instead of making some snarky comment. (or to even "do the research" by simply clicking into my photostream)

View attachment 36913
I personally get disappointed when I see a thread has a new post and then find out it's some blurry zoomed in shot from 25 miles away. But that's just me

I personally get disappointed when I see a thread has a new post and then find out it's some blurry zoomed in shot from 25 miles away. But that's just me

Most of what I'm posting isn't blurry, ie the 50x OPTICAL zoom. I see plenty of shots here more blurry from 2 miles away than I'm posting from 20 miles away. None of my pics have the pixilation that plagues some of the users here. Also I post most of my shots in 1600x1200 compared to many people who post full size behemoths for closeups. Instead of complaining about it, I figured out a workaround (ie click into it, or open pic in new tab to just see it full screen).

I get really disappointed when I see a thread has a new post, but there aren't pics OR information, yet I'm still less rude about it than people are to me. I'm also disappointed when I click in and see that an interesting project has been VE'ed into something that is no longer interesting, attractive, or deserving of the plot of land it's going to be built on. I'd say the lack of good upcoming projects is going to be a much bigger issue than not liking every picture posted of the few remaining showstoppers.

Last edited:
Most of what I'm posting isn't blurry, ie the 50x OPTICAL zoom. I see plenty of shots here more blurry from 2 miles away than I'm posting from 20 miles away. None of my pics have the pixilation that plagues some of the users here. Also I post most of my shots in 1600x1200 compared to many people who post full size behemoths for closeups. Instead of complaining about it, I figured out a workaround (ie click into it, or open pic in new tab to just see it full screen).

I get really disappointed when I see a thread has a new post, but there aren't pics OR information, yet I'm still less rude about it than people are to me. I'm also disappointed when I click in and see that an interesting project has been VE'ed into something that is no longer interesting, attractive, or deserving of the plot of land it's going to be built on. I'd say the lack of good upcoming projects is going to be a much bigger issue than not liking every picture posted of the few remaining showstoppers.

It's a lot of work to take, edit, upload, only to be dragged for it, and from people whose contributions are next to nil. For someone like me who drops into Boston 5-6x a year, I like the differing vantage points from up close and afar. So.. keep on. To the rest complaining, go get your own damn pics and post them.

It wasn't a personal attack, just an opinion towards those types of pictures as a whole. Maybe there could be a thread for skyline shots unless there's one already

It's a lot of work to take, edit, upload, only to be dragged for it, and from people whose contributions are next to nil. For someone like me who drops into Boston 5-6x a year, I like the differing vantage points from up close and afar. So.. keep on. To the rest complaining, go get your own damn pics and post them.

I don't get this. Why does it have to be all or nothing?

DZ, I think your skyline shots are great but they don't add a ton of value to individual project threads, even using optical zoom. That's not a criticism, that's just an opinion that many members on here share. Why not just post the distance shots in the "Boston Skyline Photos" thread and don't worry about zooming in on specific buildings? That would save you a ton of time and the forum would still benefit from an awesome collection of skyline perspectives.

I also know you take many great photos of individual projects from street level or close enough not to need any optical zoom. Those would still be more than welcome in individual project threads.

Just my two cents. No need to be rude about any of this.

DZ, I think your skyline shots are great but they don't add a ton of value to individual project threads, even using optical zoom. That's not a criticism, that's just an opinion that many members on here share. Why not just post the distance shots in the "Boston Skyline Photos" thread and don't worry about zooming in on specific buildings? That would save you a ton of time and the forum would still benefit from an awesome collection of skyline perspectives.

Actually that's the hardest part. Look at this screenshot again. The first 3 out of 14 went into the skyline thread, but the 2nd and 3rd pics in particular were cut from about 15-20 similar ones. Next 2 went into Winthrop, and I'll admit one of them was slightly redundant but I already deleted too many ones I liked and figure 2 pics isn't flooding any particular thread. From there it's much easier, as South Station was just finding the straightest one out of 4-5 (none of them were perfect), State Street had way less to cut from, and then even less for Parcel 12, Seaport, and Raffles threads. When it comes to the far off shots it's too easy for them to all end up crooked, so I have to take an excess amount in order to find straight (enough) versions. Then I'm literally zooming in on those comparing the tilts, often of 6-10 separate pics which will end up being cut down to 1-2.

It is a pain, but I also try not to flood threads the way I would have in the past, where say those 62 pics would have been posted as 25-30 instead of 14. In the below case, beyond the top row they're all pretty obviously focused on certain projects and not just plain skyline shots.

Also, I'd like to get into the city more often for more daytime closeups, but that can be a pain. My best bets are over the weekend, particularly Sundays, and I often have prior commitments with people who don't share my fervor for going into the city. Otherwise most of my visits are for walks at night and that's not where my camera excels. So I take what I can get, and from my perspective I'd rather people post (clear) shots that I think are kind of meh, than not post any pictures at all. Considering I'll often see pics pixilated from literally right across the Charles River, how many people here are posting clear zooms from 10-20+ miles away?

1682366750934.png

Provide the clearest shots from far away of any regular user on the forum and get criticized. Post the same cellphone pic at night looking directly up this building and the forum will put you on their shoulders and parade you down the street like you cured cancer. (even my crappy version of that picture got a ton of likes) I'm not a politician looking for votes, so am just going to keep doing what I'm doing. I already cut back substantially and at this point I have nothing to apologize for when it comes to posting pictures.

People who don't put the work in demanding any sort of apology or concessions from the people who do put the work in need to look in a mirror. If you want better updates, take it upon yourselves to provide those better updates. Nobody who isn't a moderator is getting paid to be here.

I appreciate this perspective and for a building like South Station Tower, who doesn't love to see the guts of that thing as it goes up?! That said, I think these have relevance too, giving us a bigger perspective of how the skyline as an amorphous blob evolves as a new tower takes its full form.

I also think it's pretty neat to pick up on buildings that "surprise you;" case in point: State Street Tower peering from behind/above 1 Beacon. I never would have guessed it would do that and appreciate that this was captured.

my $0.02

Actually that's the hardest part. Look at this screenshot again. The first 3 out of 14 went into the skyline thread, but the 2nd and 3rd pics in particular were cut from about 15-20 similar ones. Next 2 went into Winthrop, and I'll admit one of them was slightly redundant but I already deleted too many ones I liked and figure 2 pics isn't flooding any particular thread. From there it's much easier, as South Station was just finding the straightest one out of 4-5 (none of them were perfect), State Street had way less to cut from, and then even less for Parcel 12, Seaport, and Raffles threads. When it comes to the far off shots it's too easy for them to all end up crooked, so I have to take an excess amount in order to find straight (enough) versions. Then I'm literally zooming in on those comparing the tilts, often of 6-10 separate pics which will end up being cut down to 1-2.

It is a pain, but I also try not to flood threads the way I would have in the past, where say those 62 pics would have been posted as 25-30 instead of 14. In the below case, beyond the top row they're all pretty obviously focused on certain projects and not just plain skyline shots.

Also, I'd like to get into the city more often for more daytime closeups, but that can be a pain. My best bets are over the weekend, particularly Sundays, and I often have prior commitments with people who don't share my fervor for going into the city. Otherwise most of my visits are for walks at night and that's not where my camera excels. So I take what I can get, and from my perspective I'd rather people post (clear) shots that I think are kind of meh, than not post any pictures at all. Considering I'll often see pics pixilated from literally right across the Charles River, how many people here are posting clear zooms from 10-20+ miles away?

View attachment 36928

Provide the clearest shots from far away of any regular user on the forum and get criticized. Post the same cellphone pic at night looking directly up this building and the forum will put you on their shoulders and parade you down the street like you cured cancer. (even my crappy version of that picture got a ton of likes) I'm not a politician looking for votes, so am just going to keep doing what I'm doing. I already cut back substantially and at this point I have nothing to apologize for when it comes to posting pictures.

People who don't put the work in demanding any sort of apology or concessions from the people who do put the work in need to look in a mirror. If you want better updates, take it upon yourselves to provide those better updates. Nobody who isn't a moderator is getting paid to be here.

A lot of members post regular updates to threads. I contribute where I can also. However i dont feel the need to update 20 threads in this forum with 100 very similar looking pictures that can easily just be posted into the Boston skyline threads.

If I suddenly started using the 100x zoom on my camera from the same vantage point taking 100 similar looking pics and posting them to all of the current threads in the forums you would feel the same way.

Also for an efficiency standpoint, you could literally just take one skyline picture and then use an imaging program to cut and zoom onto the buildings to make other pictures rather than laboriously trying to take individual pics and deciding which ones to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back