What to do about the NEAQ?

TheRifleman

Banned
Reaction score
Re: Aquarium Parking Garage Redevelopment | Waterfront | Downtown

New England Aquarium a viable tourist attraction accessible by by car. Without the garage the New England Aquarium has to move.

Good.... I hope the Aquarium closes down. Its like walking through a giant Toilet bowl.

Also I don't believe its healthy for God's creatures to suffer in this shitbowl of a place they call the Aquarium---
These SeaLions, Penguins and other sea creatures should be free in the ocean.
I would love to know the executive compensation from these Aquarium Executives to justify this.

Turn the TV and watch the nature channel if you want to see Sea creatures on Galapagos islands special.

Good.... I hope the Aquarium closes down. Its like walking through a giant Toilet bowl.

Also I don't believe its healthy for God's creatures to suffer in this shitbowl of a place they call the Aquarium---
These SeaLions, Penguins and other sea creatures should be free in the ocean.
I would love to know the executive compensation from these Aquarium Executives to justify this.

Turn the TV and watch the nature channel if you want to see Sea creatures on Galapagos islands special.

^Finally, someone speaks the TRUTH about the Aquarium! It really IS a giant toilet bowl. I saw the Tidy-Bowl guy swimming around cleaning the tank AND feeding fish!...(definitely not union represented). I've seen more interesting aquariums in friends' living rooms....I went once, then I went again 30 years later, and I swore I must be dreaming because everything seemed exactly the same....except for the overpriced admission...... The Aquarium and the Harbor Towers should be embracing the idea to make the area better with a quality development by Mr. Chiofaro.

Are you people seriously advocating a fairly well respected museum / low-cost public amenity so you can have a tower? I get it, the Aquarium isn't cutting edge, but it's still extremely popular with kids and more importantly families.

Not sure what is more welcoming the inside of Harbor garage or the Aquarium.

Honestly the Executives of the Aquarium should be under scrutiny at this point.
How much money they swindle from the working class charging insane prices for this shithole?

How can anybody think that those SeaLions are happy swimming in a box wrapped around fiberglass.

Please release the salaries to the Aquarium Executives and lets get the truth out there.
These lazy assholes have done nothing to improve that area.
But complain that a developer wants to redevelop a concrete block on the edge of the Greenway.

Why didn't the executives get off their ass and try to raise the money for the garage?

How can anybody think that those SeaLions are happy swimming in a box wrapped around fiberglass.

I'm going to derail this thread because of the above comment.

It is a scientifically proven fact that these creatures, in most cases, have issues in captivity. That being said, zoos, aquariums, etc. provide are not simply prisons. They expose children to creatures they've only seen in photos, teach them what their ecological functions and values are, and why their conservation is important. In some cases, zoos take on orphaned animals, those who have been mistreated, either as pets or in circuses. They are also involved with important research initiatives and breeding programs for rare/endangered species...the list goes on. Obviously, this is not the case for EVERY zoo/aquarium (I don't know much about the NE Aquarium's programs), but we shouldn't necessarily view them all as one-trick ponies. As humans, we are obligated to continually strive to improve our stewardship of the environment. If these institutions allow us to achieve that goal, sign me up.

I'm going to derail this thread because of the above comment.

It is a scientifically proven fact that these creatures, in most cases, have issues in captivity. That being said, zoos, aquariums, etc. provide are not simply prisons. They expose children to creatures they've only seen in photos, teach them what their ecological functions and values are, and why their conservation is important. In some cases, zoos take on orphaned animals, those who have been mistreated, either as pets or in circuses. They are also involved with important research initiatives and breeding programs for rare/endangered species...the list goes on. Obviously, this is not the case for EVERY zoo/aquarium (I don't know much about the NE Aquarium's programs), but we shouldn't necessarily view them all as one-trick ponies. As humans, we are obligated to continually strive to improve our stewardship of the environment. If these institutions allow us to achieve that goal, sign me up.

Then maybe the executives should raise the money and build the SeaCreatures a much more positive atmosphere. The Aquarium development is garbage for these seacreatures.

Maybe at this point the Aquarium Executives should get off their butts and start raising money from our Eductation Institutions around the area. There is no reason why BOSTON should not have a 1st class Aquarium in the region with the amount o money made from Education around the area.

WAKE UP.

The garage would be closed during construction and the NEAQ is concerned that the drop-off in visitors during that period would put too much strain on their finances.

Probably more worried about their executive pays. I would love to know what these people make.

The NEAQ employees make garbage but it cost so much money to go to the Aquarium.

How much are these executives making off these seacreatures each year. They are more worried about losing their bonuses.

I would have no problem if these executives were hustling trying to make an awesome environment for the animals but they haven't done anything to make this development 1st class. Hasn't really changed since the 80's (some upgrades)

Probably more worried about their executive pays. I would love to know what these people make.

The NEAQ employees make garbage but it cost so much money to go to the Aquarium.

How much are these executives making off these seacreatures each year. They are more worried about losing their bonuses.

I would have no problem if these executives were hustling trying to make an awesome environment for the animals but they haven't done anything to make this development 1st class. Hasn't really changed since the 80's (some upgrades)

Wow you really do hate the Aquarium.

I guess all those kids will just have to really love hanging out in that really cool atrium while their moms buy $600 dollar purses and drink their lattes in that boutique indoor mall.

^Finally, someone speaks the TRUTH about the Aquarium! It really IS a giant toilet bowl. I saw the Tidy-Bowl guy swimming around cleaning the tank AND feeding fish!...(definitely not union represented). I've seen more interesting aquariums in friends' living rooms....I went once, then I went again 30 years later, and I swore I must be dreaming because everything seemed exactly the same....except for the overpriced admission...... The Aquarium and the Harbor Towers should be embracing the idea to make the area better with a quality development by Mr. Chiofaro.

Lapradetom -- HUH?? -- you apparently somehow shoehorned your two visits into the time window between the original Aquarium and the rebuild of the center tank as a Caribbean Reef plus the addition of the Imax theatre and other major work outside of the original structure

Just to jog your memory highlights from the wiki article on the Aquarium:
  • 1970 The Giant Ocean Tank opened -- at the time was the largest circular ocean tank in the world
  • 1998 The new West Wing by Schwartz/Silver Architects -- The glass and steel addition includes the harbor seal exhibit on the public plaza, ticketing booth, changing exhibit galleries, gift shop, cafe, and new entry lobby.
  • 2001 -- The 428 seat Matthew and Marcia Simons IMAX Theatre -- separate building designed by E. Verner Johnson and Associates
  • 2009, the New Balance Foundation Marine Mammal Center opened with Five Northern fur seals and two California sea lions are on exhibit behind the Aquarium on the harborside terrace, with views of Boston Harbor
  • 2013, the Aquarium reopened the Giant Ocean Tank after a ten-month renovation. The new Giant Ocean Tank features a new reef designed to represent a pre-Columbian Caribbean reef, new lighting with the reflective dome, and better views with the new viewing windows along the tank. Additionally, the number of fish in the tank has increased from 800 to 2,000 and number of species has increased from 90 to 140.

Sounds like quite a bit of change and innovation-- of course you might say that the MFA looks the same as well -- visiting it once in 1975 and once today, and somehow missing the Art of the Americas Wing and the other work by Norman Foster & Partners

I dunno, some visitors seem to like it.

Ted+Movie+Ted+and+Johnny+Mark+Wahlberg+at+Aquarium1.jpg

Massachusetts is the only state in the entire country having it's capitol directly on the ocean. That alone should make Boston strive to have a "destination" Aquarium, you know something that makes people WANT to go there.

Ah.... What about New York City?

The Capital of New York State is Albany, not NYC.

capital of NY is Albany last time I checked.

(beat me to it, Reznor)

Annapolis is a beautiful port town too. The built part of Juneau sits next to a long fjord, but that's still Pacific Ocean water.

Fun fact I just learned from Wikipedia: Juneau is physically larger than both the states of Rhode Island and Delaware.

Providence, Rhode Island

^I have to disagree. With Boston's long and rich maritime heritage, the Aquarium's an embarrassment.....Of course the kids like it, kids like anything. It's just torture for everybody else. Massachusetts is the only state in the entire country having it's capitol directly on the ocean. That alone should make Boston strive to have a "destination" Aquarium, you know something that makes people WANT to go there.
Back on thread, there's NO reason why the Aquarium and Harbor Towers should be allowed to prevent Mr Chiofaro from building a beautiful building, make a return on his investment, open up the waterfront better, which then benefits us all.

The only way we're going to get a state of the art, top tier aquarium is if they find more space somewhere else in the city and build a brand new facility.

The only way we're going to get a state of the art, top tier aquarium is if they find more space somewhere else in the city and build a brand new facility.

Mass -- Not going to happen -- they already tried to move to Charlestown and -- meanwhile 1.3 Million people visited last year

Lapradetom -- HUH?? -- you apparently somehow shoehorned your two visits into the time window between the original Aquarium and the rebuild of the center tank as a Caribbean Reef plus the addition of the Imax theatre and other major work outside of the original structure

Just to jog your memory highlights from the wiki article on the Aquarium:
  • 1970 The Giant Ocean Tank opened -- at the time was the largest circular ocean tank in the world
  • 1998 The new West Wing by Schwartz/Silver Architects -- The glass and steel addition includes the harbor seal exhibit on the public plaza, ticketing booth, changing exhibit galleries, gift shop, cafe, and new entry lobby.
  • 2001 -- The 428 seat Matthew and Marcia Simons IMAX Theatre -- separate building designed by E. Verner Johnson and Associates
  • 2009, the New Balance Foundation Marine Mammal Center opened with Five Northern fur seals and two California sea lions are on exhibit behind the Aquarium on the harborside terrace, with views of Boston Harbor
  • 2013, the Aquarium reopened the Giant Ocean Tank after a ten-month renovation. The new Giant Ocean Tank features a new reef designed to represent a pre-Columbian Caribbean reef, new lighting with the reflective dome, and better views with the new viewing windows along the tank. Additionally, the number of fish in the tank has increased from 800 to 2,000 and number of species has increased from 90 to 140.

Sounds like quite a bit of change and innovation-- of course you might say that the MFA looks the same as well -- visiting it once in 1975 and once today, and somehow missing the Art of the Americas Wing and the other work by Norman Foster & Partners

^A few tweaks do not a great Aquarium make....Why did adding an IMAX theater make the Aquarium better? Answer: Because the Aquarium sux, so we may as well go watch a movie instead.

I dunno, some visitors seem to like it.

Ted+Movie+Ted+and+Johnny+Mark+Wahlberg+at+Aquarium1.jpg

Perfect example of perception. This specific picture makes the Aquarium have a warm & Cozy feeling about it.

Too bad TED or this perception does not actually exist.

I have never felt like that being at the Aquarium.
The actual feel is more like being stuck in a crowded leaking German submarine with windows like the movie U-571.

Great pic thou

Back