Which three towers are on hold?

stellarfun

Reaction score
I could start a poll, but won't Here is the headline from the current Banker & Tradesman. An image that might have given a clue to at least one won't display, at least on the tease page for freeloaders like myself.

TOWERS IN TURMOIL
By Thomas Grillo
The credit crunch and a lack of office tenants have stalled a trio of major development projects in downtown Boston, according to commercial real estate sources.

My guess:

SST,
Tommy's Tower
Chiofaro's Aquarium Garage

I'm guessing Columbus Center is not exactly downtown.

The images that posted with the article show and mention 3 towers, Tommy's, Filenes, and SST. Is there something going on with the financing of One Franklin that we haven't heard of yet?

Filene?s, South Station Projects, Mayor?s Skyscraper Stalled Due to Lack of Financing
By Thomas Grillo, Banker & Tradesman

The credit crunch and a lack of office tenants have stalled a trio of major development projects in downtown Boston, according to commercial real estate sources.

At stake is $2.5 billion in construction deals that would add more than 3 million square feet of office space, 480 hotel rooms and 316 luxury condominiums to the downtown. Among the projects are the South Station Transportation Center, One Franklin St. and a glass tower at Winthrop Square.

?We have taken potential tenants to these projects, and it?s common knowledge that those three developments do not have financing,? said David Fitzgerald, executive vice president at CB Richard Ellis. ?As a tenant, you can?t make a deal with a developer until the financing is set.?

Construction was expected to commence earlier this year at South Station, according to Hines, the Houston-based developer. But the project has yet to break ground. David Perry, a Hines vice president, did not return a call seeking comment.

So far, plans for the 75-story Winthrop Square skyscraper championed by Mayor Thomas M. Menino have stumbled. Steven Belkin, chairman of Boston-based Trans National Proper-ties, parted ways with the project?s architect, Renzo Piano; the development team and the city have yet to agree on a price for the city-owned parking garage where the building would be constructed; and The Boston Globe recently reported that the Federal Aviation Administration had concerns about the tower?s height.

A spokeswoman for Trans National Properties said the development team is having ?conversations with funders, and we know that we are able to finance this building, but how can we have financing in place for a project that isn?t permitted yet??

Trans National Properties has not yet filed a project plan with the Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA).

The third project, One Franklin Street, got under way last fall. The BRA approved the mixed-use project, and the development team of Vernado Realty Trust and Gale International began demolition work last fall with an anticipated completion date of January 2011.

Russell DeMartino, vice president of development at Vornado Realty Trust, a partner in the One Franklin project, said of rumors about the project?s inability to secure financing, ?I can?t comment one way or another on that.?

Still, Roger W. Breslin, a Colliers Meredith & Grew vice president, said while these projects are important to the city, they appear to be delayed. ?It?s a Catch-22, but the reality is that no one will get financing until they get tenants,? he said. ?The South Station project or the mayor?s 1,000-foot tower is not going anywhere until they get a lead tenant to commit or get their financing ? which neither has.?

Casimir Groblewski, managing director at Fantini & Gorga, a Boston-based real estate financer, said despite the fact that these projects have very good fundamentals, financing is a challenge nationwide.

?Lenders perceive that the residential market nationwide is very weak and they are tending to be more cautious,? he said. ?And retail and hotels are also harder to finance. Developers know they need to put more of their own cash in, but even their equity sources are scarce.?

Financing is tougher than it has been in 25 years, brokers said, despite the fact that Boston?s luxury condominium market has held its own this year and the city?s office vacancy rate is in the single digits.

?We do have a low vacancy rate in the office towers, but developers need a major tenant or two seeking 200,000-300,000 square feet of space before they can line up all the financing,? Groblewski said. ?They will be hard to find.?

Still, Groblewski said each of the development teams will succeed, but it will take longer.

?These are very strong, financially sound and patient developers and they will pull it off,? he added. ?It may take longer, up to five years, but they will get done.?

Jessica Shumaker, a BRA spokeswoman, insists that Boston? economy is strong based on the number of projects filed with the city?s planning agency. ?We have 65 projects under construction valued at $4 billion, and another 250 in the pipeline worth $12 billion. That?s huge.?

So they're just pretty much speculating that One Franklin is on hold, when there's absolutely no evidence for it. Pure bad journalism, trying to make it sound more dramatic with "3" towers on hold when its actually 2 that haven't started construction yet (not on hold, on hold means construction stopping after it started, i.e. columbus center :()

this scares me a bit - is it possible that instead of a new tower, we'll end up with a parking lot in downtown crossing?

The possibility of Downtown Crossing lingering indefinitely in its current disastrous state is completely unacceptable. The mayor should make this crystal clear to these developers.

Maybe demolition permits should be contingent of full financing or some other guarantee?

Well, isn't Kensington Palace, I mean "Place" a high-rise, too, or was the article only about office space?

Also, it's a well-known fact you have to have "threes" in order to make a point, or to be funny. Or, ironic. Four, if you want to just be an embarrassment.

Gee all the jobs Fidelity are adding outside of Mass sure would go a long way to helping add demand to the downtown office market.

this scares me a bit - is it possible that instead of a new tower, we'll end up with a parking lot in downtown crossing?
Why not? They seem to loiter up and down Washington Street. Been doing it for decades.

Quick question. When was the last parking lot created in Boston proper? I can't think of one.
Kensington is an empty lot but, according to latest reports, there are no plans to convert it to parking.
It seems to me there is a hell of of a lot more infill of lots in Boston lately than creation of them.

Quick answer

A number of years (guessing about 10) -- There was fire in Chinatown on Essex St. -- today -- there is a Parking lot where the former 5 or so story early 20th Century? building once stood

I suspect that there might be a few similar cases in Boston in the aftermath of a fire (perhaps near the Bulfinch Triangle? or in the North End that destroyed an early 20th Century or late 19th Century "forgetta bout it" building

Certainly, I'm fairly sure that there a ballpark of ten or more of vacant lots in the lower South End, Roxbury and Dorchester that housed a building that burned and never were rebuilt with Parking or possibly a community garden as a highest alternative value.

Westy

So if what you are saying holds true, there hasn't been a new parking lot created in Boston proper in the last decade or so.
That's a pretty good streak. Hopefully it keeps up.

Back