Why are there Route 1 signs up on Storrow Drive

Roslindale

Reaction score
Why are there Route 1 signs up on Storrow drive at the Fenway exits in Boston? The signs look fairly new and Route 1 was rerouted in 1989 to its existing location (up the southeast expressway).
Route 1 used to enter the metro Boston area from Norwood (South of Route 128) and then travel through Dedham (Providence Highway), then continue through West Roxbury (VFW Highway), up the Jamaicaway to the Fenway area.
Recently a another Route 1 sign went up on Centre Street in Roslindale directing cars onto the VFW??? Who's in charge here of these signs? No wonder we all get lost and still proclaim our businesses in Dedham to be on Route1!!!
Does anybody have info on this. You can contact me directly at
Bob@BobdWard.com
thanks

Come on, it's a time honored Boston tradition to have bad signs, crazy directions and confusing streets. Like you say, even the new signs are wrong and outdated the day they go up.

ha ha ha

you mean this one ?

yeah the DCR musta been drinking when they put this one up.
I thought MDC signs were bad ...

rte1-2008-05-07.jpg

Either the state is getting ready to put Rte. 1 back on its proper path along the Arborway/VFW Parkway or somebody has been inhaling too many paint fumes at the Department of Conservation and Recreation sign shop. How else to explain this sign, which recently went up where Centre Street turns into the VFW Parkway in Roslindale - 19 years after the state decided Rte. 1 was going to go south via 128 North?

Thanks to Bob Ward for the tip.

http://www.universalhub.com/node/14424

I beleive that the state switched the official Route 1 to I-93 between the Leverett Connector and Dedham in order to keep trucks off of Route 1 along the Parkways stretch between the VA in West Roxbury and Storrow Drive.

And that's a good thing, given the presence of a very low railroad underpass on VFW Parkway in West Roxbury. Still, I wish they'd renumbered the former Route 1 to Route 1A, for continuity's sake, so that people still had directions on how to drive from downtown Boston to Dedham.

Back