Why do we like tall buildings?

Hubman

Reaction score
Question:

Why do we like tall buildings? Why do so many people on this forum (including I) jump when we hear of a new skyscraper being proposed or the approval of another spire. We all say "Oh, I can't tell you how much I'd love it if that Winthrop Square Tower was built over there! It would be TALLER THAN THE PRU!" But why? Why do we like height so much?

Personally, I just like the density they add. More people= more urban amenities (restaurants, stores, mass transit, etc) i.e. the things that make a city, a city. Skylines are nice and all but it always stuck me as odd to judge a city by what it looks like while standing outside the city.

You could ask the same question of a medieval master-builder, or the cardinal he worked for. Tall buildings inspire a sense of wonder in us. They pull our eyes aloft as the sun, moon, and vertical earth-forms did to our ancient ancestors.

Here's the entrance to a fun and fulfilling wiki-hole.

Well I happen to be a homosexual, so I enjoy large phallic buildings towering towards the sky.

All my life it seems I've loved standing next to a skyscraper and looking up to the top. It is exhilarating, sometimes intimidating, but I think it gets to the core of what humankind's destiny is: to advance and reach for something beyond, to expand our minds, culture and universe.

I think a good skyline has a good mix of old and new, density, and step backs. I dont necessarily like tall buildings more than short I just think our skyline has a great base and a few taller buildings will cap that off. A citys skyline is its recognizable feature as a whole and important cities usually have good skylines. I think out waterfront location and huge stock of medium height buildings means its ripe for a capstone piece. Look at lower manhattan after sept 11 vs now. Manhattan looks like its back to full strength now that lower manhattan is crowned. I think it will be similar for us. We have all of the important pieces of the city first now to cap it off will really bring everything together.

I think it's because humans evolved from tree dwellers - in that sense, verticality offers escape and security.

article-2145743-03840AE20000044D-683_964x686.jpg

What about spires? A lot of people say they'd like it if a spire was added to jack up a buildings height, even if it doesn't add to it's stature.

Back