Why I love working/living in the city

So today as I was coming out of work, I pass through the normal hoard of suits and ties, past an asbestos contamination site, continued up to Winter St where I witness two teenaged girls beating the shit out each other (I'm not talking about a chick fight, these girls were throwing punches. Hard) and proceeded up to Park St where I hop on the Green Line just in time to sit next to two girls dressed in pseudo-goth attire discussing their favorite anime.
All this in under ten minutes.
Try that in Attleboro! :lol:

statler said:
...I hop on the Green Line just in time to sit next to two girls dressed in pseudo-goth attire discussing their favorite anime.

Are there any real Goths left? I still listen to Joy Division (more often than not at the gym) and went to the Bauhaus gig last time they played the Orpheum, but suddenly I feel really, really old.

Hot Topic and Emo ruined it for everyone.

statler said:
So today as I was coming out of work, I pass through the normal hoard of suits and ties, past an asbestos contamination site, continued up to Winter St where I witness two teenaged girls beating the shit out each other (I'm not talking about a chick fight, these girls were throwing punches. Hard) and proceeded up to Park St where I hop on the Green Line just in time to sit next to two girls dressed in pseudo-goth attire discussing their favorite anime.
Try that in Attleboro! :lol:
Aha what time was this? I was walking in DT past a group of African American females amd overheard their conversation about beating some girl up.

statler said:
I hop on the Green Line just in time to sit next to two girls dressed in pseudo-goth attire discussing their favorite anime.

Really? Having passed through the contamination site myself, I must have been sitting near you on that train. I was the guy holding up my book with the yellow cover real high so the girl next to the window in front of me wouldn't see me. I recognized her as a person that talked my ear off against my will a month or so ago and didn't want a repeat performance. It worked. :lol:

I was on Winter St. around 4:10 or so.

And no, I doubt there are any 'true Goths' left anymore. If such a thing ever really existed.
The Goth thing never really stuck me as having any genuine roots like punk or the such. It always seemed like a contrived, subculture-for-the-sake-of-a-subculture thing.
Maybe I just don't know enough about the history of Goth.

Quit the politically correct shit. If anyone here is either black, and is offended by me saying black and not African-American, I'm sorry. If you're white and you're offended, you're a little prick.

Emo people suck. Sorry, had to get that out of me. But they do.

what is an 'Emo' person? Also, I don't understand what this is in response to.

Ron Newman said:
what is an 'Emo' person?

There may be ten different answers to this question, Ron.

Emo music is a sub-genre of hardcore punk that finds its roots in the mid-80s.

Emo fashion is favored by (often faux) disaffected (mostly white) teens and twentysomethings who identify with Emo music.

Some of the bands cited as the originators of Emo (Fugazi, H?sker D?) created an important body of work that is as valuable reflection of its time as the Beetles, Stones, Doors and Bob Dylan did in the 60s. Twenty years on, what remains is the triumph of style over substance.

Ron Newman said:
Also, I don't understand what this is in response to.

I couldn't begin to guess what's up with kennedy -- takes all kinds, I guess.

This is emo:

emoay4.jpg

I fucking hate the look, not to mention the mindset..

emo20kidsun4.jpg

Either those aren't the most archetypal emo-sters or the boundary line between emo and hipster (or attempted hipster) is rather thin. Or is it just a matter of age?

I'm just a bootcut loose fit jeans and a Banff Canada t-shirt kinda guy...

This morning on my B-line commute to Park Street, several birds decided to take the train from BC to Chestnut Hill Ave. It was a nice change of pace hearing the chirping on the train, watching them fly around and scaring the newspaper reading passengers in the front half of the train by flying past their heads.

Also, that kid on the left in the second picture... is it normal for limbs to be that purple?

Back