Assembly Innovation Park | 5 Middlesex Ave | Somerville

There's a big billboard up for this project that can be seen from I-93 north. Didn't get a picture of it though.

So what are the specs and stats for this? Up-thread in the original design was [EDIT: 329 units] residences in a 1+ 7 mixed use building, but this is a different design.

Block 8 is increasing heights to 1+6 (+tower), so these residences are clearly selling quickly. I'm surprised a tower portion wasn't included here.

This also is partially on the original Block 9 that FRIT owns- when did that change hands?

EDIT: Yes I meant retail vs resi. Just thinking of population growth for the neighborhood. This along with block 8 is ~800+ new units for 2021 added on to the current ~1600 person population.

Last edited:
So what are the specs and stats for this? Up-thread in the original design was 147 residences in a 1+ 7 mixed use building.....

I don't think 1+7 is a thing. The 1+5 refers to 1 floor of concrete with 5 floors of wood on top of it. I'm pretty sure anything over 6 floors is not allowed to build with wood, so chances are this would be 8 stories of steel if anything.

I don't think 1+7 is a thing. The 1+5 refers to 1 floor of concrete with 5 floors of wood on top of it. I'm pretty sure anything over 6 floors is not allowed to build with wood, so chances are this would be 8 stories of steel if anything.

I think he's referring to 1 floor of retail maybe?

Did the design change though? I must have missed it if so.

So what are the specs and stats for this? Up-thread in the original design was 147 residences in a 1+ 7 mixed use building, but this is a different design.

Block 8 is increasing heights to 1+6 (+tower), so these residences are clearly selling quickly. I'm surprised a tower portion wasn't included here.

This also is partially on the original Block 9 that FRIT owns- when did that change hands?

These are the plans:

https://www.somervillema.gov/sites/default/files/H4a-Compiled Arch Floor Plans.pdf

Thats also how the South End is planned to block highway noise into the neighborhood from 93. This is going to be a great way to have cheap”er” offices than Kendall or downtown, but still in an urban location and minutes away on the orange line.

Thats also how the South End is planned to block highway noise into the neighborhood from 93. This is going to be a great way to have cheap”er” offices than Kendall or downtown, but still in an urban location and minutes away on the orange line.
Stick is right. With Kendall+Seaport rents out of range for smaller/less well funded companies, the region needs lots of second-ring urban office to accommodate growth without totally auto-centric office parks. This+North Point+Boston Landing+Flower Market dev are all part of that trend

Look no further than the "Orange Crush" area around Irvine / Costa Mesa / Anaheim in Orange County. Lots of ~20 floor office buildings that are right off the 405 (albeit with big parking lots separating them).

Looks ideal to me:
1) Office will block the noise from the residential stuff
2) Given sealed windows, probably do a good job of sealing out I-93 noise*
3) A great place to put your name on a building

* Boston happens (thanks to Gov Sargent) not to have many inner surface-level interstates with offices right at the fenceline, but that's certainly how it is done in most places that did build their inner loop and inner expressways.

* Boston happens (thanks to Gov Sargent) not to have many inner surface-level interstates with offices right at the fenceline, but that's certainly how it is done in most places that did build their inner loop and inner expressways.

Waltham and Burlington do, though they're suburban.

Can a mod please change this thread title to XMBLY? Thanks.

Also the renders are in other Assembly threads, so figured Id get em over here.
2018-0314-c1-edit.jpg

2018-0314-c4-edit.jpg

2018-0314-c2-edit.jpg

2018-0314-c3-edit.jpg

Haha wow they really just copy pasted some ariels, didn't they?

Market testing showed it wasn't a good fit for their brand so they just excluded it.

Back