vanshnookenraggen

Staff member
Reaction score
Yale Revelation: Renewal for a Building and Its Original Designer
Richard Barnes

Article Tools Sponsored By
By NICOLAI OUROUSSOFF
Published: August 27, 2008

NEW HAVEN ? It?s hard to think of a building that has suffered through more indignities than the Yale School of Art and Architecture. On the day of its dedication in 1963, the architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner condemned the oppressive monumentality of its concrete forms. Two years later the school?s dean brutally cut up many of the interiors, which he claimed were dysfunctional. A few years after that a fire gutted what was left. By then the reputation of the building?s architect, Paul Rudolph, was in ruins.

Under the circumstances it?s a miracle that Yale didn?t tear the building down. But several years ago the university started down the road to atonement, investing $126 million in a major restoration and addition designed by the New York firm Gwathmey Siegel & Associates.

The result should stun those who have continued to deny Rudolph?s talent. Now seen in its full glory, his building turns out to be a masterpiece of late Modernism, one that will force many to reappraise an entire period of Modernist history and put Rudolph back on the pedestal where he belongs.

Only Gwathmey Siegel?s addition prevents this from being a total triumph. The firm?s principal designer, Charles Gwathmey, went to great pains to ensure that the addition didn?t disturb Rudolph?s masterwork. Yet the challenge Mr. Gwathmey faced was not only to be a good neighbor, it was also to rise to the high standards set by his predecessor. By that measure his design is a major letdown.

Rudolph had his own generational battles to fight. His building, which will be renamed Paul Rudolph Hall at a dedication ceremony in November, stands directly across the street from Louis Kahn?s 1953 Yale Art Gallery, one of the most brilliant and revered structures of the postwar Modernist period. But many of the attacks against the Rudolph building had more to do with polemics than architecture. To classical Modernists the art and architecture school?s Brutalist aesthetic betrayed the taut glass-enclosed structures of Kahn?s museum. To postmodernists it represented the indifference to history and context that they saw as the Modernist movement?s greatest sin.

These arguments were reinforced by the heartless renovations after the fire. Windows and skylights were boarded over; additional levels were stuffed between existing floors; large open studios were cut up into a warren of cramped, airless work spaces. The effect was suffocating, and it reflected an attitude of disrespect toward Rudolph that persisted until his death in 1997.

In reopening these spaces Mr. Gwathmey shows us that the building was more sympathetic to its surroundings than once thought. The recessed windows of the front facade are an obvious echo of Kahn?s sunken courtyard across the street; so is the masterly play of opaque and transparent surfaces.

Just as important, the subtlety of the design can now be seen. The rough corduroy surfaces of the concrete towers that anchor the structure?s corners are now offset by the smooth finish of the horizontal concrete beams, softening the overall appearance. A long narrow planter that runs along the building?s front just above street level is used to break down its scale.

But the great revelation is the way the muscularity of the exterior is used to disguise the lightness of the interiors. Like Frank Lloyd Wright in his 1904 Larkin Building, Rudolph sets his entry staircase off center, near a corner marked by a soaring concrete tower. A slender pillar rises out of the staircase?s edge. The pillar forces you to enter the space at a slight angle, and then slip between two towering concrete forms before climbing up to the lobby, as if you were passing through a prehistoric gorge.

The sense of spatial compression contributes to the shock you feel once you step inside. Light spills down through skylights. As you step deeper into the space, exterior views open up, including a loving view of Kahn?s glass facade. The effect is breathtaking, and it only intensifies as you reach the upper floors.

From the third-floor administrative offices you can gaze down into the main exhibition hall, and farther below, into a periodical reading room. On each floor shallow steps are used to fine-tune the shift in levels and create intimate corners without interfering with the spirit of openness. All of this is reinforced by the dramatic play of light washing down the concrete surfaces.

It is a dazzling display of how to create intricate multidimensional space. But the complexity of the architecture is also driven by a powerful social vision. The relationship between the various floors is meant to foster a sense of solidarity among the students, to engender a big, embracing community of vibrant souls.

Mr. Gwathmey, a student of Rudolph?s at Yale in the 1960s, is one of the few to have experienced that vision in its original incarnation. And he is as reverential of the old master in his addition as he was in the restoration work. The new structure, which will house the school?s art history department, required a separate entry, but it has a straightforward informality in order not to compete with Rudolph?s design. Inside, windows on several floors allow you to catch glimpses of the older building, so that you are always aware of its presence ? an apparition hovering in the background.

Not surprisingly, the addition?s most powerful innovation is the way in which the two buildings interlock. A staircase leads down into the library. The room, once an outdoor courtyard, is enclosed under a grid of domed skylights. The back of the old art and architecture building is now an interior wall, further blurring the distinction between inside and out. A single skylight extends into Rudolph?s second-floor lobby, gracefully tying the two together.

Yet the project demanded more than a competent design. The Rudolph and Kahn buildings are not only masterpieces, they are also powerful statements about the values that shaped American architecture at a critical moment. Together they represent an enthralling conversation between two great minds across time.

The addition was a rare opportunity to broaden that conversation by extending it into the present. It should have answered the questions: ?Who should speak for our era? Where are the great voices of today??

Mr. Gwathmey doesn?t make a strong case for himself. His addition, a series of stacked slabs, lacks the intriguing complexity of Rudolph?s vision. He offers an abundance of light-filled spaces, but they lack the precisely framed views and the careful manipulation of light and shadow that are some of an architect?s most valuable devices. Nor does he demonstrate the level of artistry that not only reinforces a building?s central ideas but also gives you a feel for the architect?s hand ? the love of craft and obsessive attention to detail that can elevate a structure to greatness.

Everything here, in short, feels sadly conventional. And unlike Rudolph?s masterpiece this is something that no amount of restoration work can repair.

Link

Hushed awe greeted the opening of Rudolph?s Art and Architecture Building, designed and built while he was Dean of same. No one had ever seen anything like it. Was it perhaps the ugliest building ever designed? As an expression of military impregnability, it projected more menace than Dracula?s Castle:

2.jpg

And people were rumored to be injured and bloodied by the razor-sharp ridges of the jackhammered concrete walls; certainly sweaters were shredded.

3.jpg

And spilled cokes almost immediately defiled the pristine, screaming tangerine carpeting.

The artists hated it because they had been relegated to the basement, the art historians sweated and squinted beneath the exposed incandescent spotlights, like car headlights mixed with heat lamps. Asbestos particles drifted like desultory snowflakes from the exposed sprayed ceilings (no one knew about the hazards of asbestos in those days, so Rudolph the genius blithely sprayed it on all his seven-foot ceilings because he liked how it looked); you could casually scoop a handful of soft asbestos flakes from the ceiling as you walked.

And the space interpenetrated so much there were hardly any doors; they would have been pointless, for the building could hardly be said to have rooms.

The double-height library greeted the southwest sun with an acre of glass. Over this, Rudolph had optimistically draped a ?sun control system? on a curtain rod. This was comprised of inch-and-a-half diameter hemp rope woven into a fishnet with one foot intervals between the ropes. I?ve seen this material employed at Madame Tussaud?s in the dungeon exhibit, the Romans used miniaturized versions of it in gladiatorial combat; or it might have been initially conceived for snaring right whales. I think it?s also used in obstacle courses at boot camp. It looked great from the outside, because it reinforced people?s belief that torture took place inside.

The architects had pride of place. Their vast studio space soared four or five stories filled with overlooks and balconies. A thirty foot cast of Pallas Athena filled one end, like the one that used to stand in the Parthenon.

Meanwhile, the painters cowered in the basement, where sidewalk-level light scoops grudgingly funneled natural light to the cellar?s perimeter, I forget where the sculptors hung out, and I don?t think anyone ever found the city planners.

The situation couldn?t last.

First there were small signs of vandalism: salacious modifications of the Grecian casts Rudolph had installed in the meandering stairwells; and naughty words in the smooth parts of the ribs.

The painters started to organize protests and boycotts, the Vietnam War heated up, and a famous and much-published city planning professor urged what he deemed was the only possible course of action under the circumstances: torch the building.

So that?s what they did. The professor didn?t even lose his job; it was the beginning of political correctness.

You can imagine what a merry blaze was produced by all that architectural bumwad.

It was a four alarm fire, and the firemen took occasion to gleefully break all the windows; some panes were eight feet wide and made sparkly cascades of shards. But because the building was built exactly like Hitler?s bunker, only the contents burned. Did you ever see concrete burn?

The building sat, a gutted ruin.

The Fire Marshall declared the building?s design had been in code violation from the start: all that interpenetrating space, that four-story atrium? where were all the doors, anyway? No wonder they had a fire, there were no fire doors!

So after it sat for a while, they partitioned it up into little cubicles and put three new floors in the atrium where the statue of Athena had stood. They enclosed the balconies with wire glass and replaced the huge plates of glass with smaller panes. The architects were banished to the basement and their spaces given to the painters.

The place looked like a favela.

Unsmiling and gay, no one liked Rudolph. He died unmourned by all but his former students, who included Norman Foster. A performance artist bought his ashes and scattered them through the building as a work of performance art.

It was the most beautiful building I had ever seen. I hung around the building to explore its medieval nooks and crannies. There were tiny spaces for one or two persons to cozy up, there were mysterious bridges that led to circuitous mazes, there were sudden eruptions of space. There was so much variety, there was so much drama, you could physically feel the space push down on you, and then expand. It made you feel viscerally the power of architecture.

It was a vision of infinity and possibility.

It forced me to become an architect.

Gwathmey is not in a league with Rudolph; encounters with him have made me wonder about the source of his repute: possibly being lumped with Meier (a pretty great architect), Eisenman (a wise guy) and Graves (the guru of thoughtful Postmodernism).

Gwathmey?s buildings seem to me to lack that spark of genius, and the man himself reinforces that impression.

Never really heard him utter an original thought.

Thanks for that post, ablarc.

I think something similar should be done at UMass Dartmouth. He designed the entire campus core and his work commands little praise among passers-by. In fact, the majority of students know absolutely nothing about either Rudolph or his work.

I'm happy Yale is finally giving Rudolph due credit, it's just 12 years too late.

^Agreed.

I also laughed at your comment about students tearing sweaters and cutting themselves on the Beton Brut walls of the building. I had to miss a full day of Baseball Camp at age 10 at UMass Dartmouth for slicing my arm open while jumping around like some sort of ape in the cafeteria during lunch. I caught it on a piece of the rough concrete and blood was everywhere.

^ That guy Rudolph: scarred us both for life, eh?

I go to U Mass Dartmouth and maybe i should post more, so here i go. Slowly, very slowly they are fixing and cleaning parts of the campus to bring it back to its original splendor. The most notable problem is that most of the glass around campus is stained and weathered and needs replacing, but that's not likely to happen anytime soon. They have though finally managed to fix the the main stair case in group 6 (art building) which before this semester was being held up by steel rods for the past 5-6 years. I could go on about the school but then i would be going off topic even more.

Thanks for the update. "The New Bedford Thread" is sort of the defacto South Coast thread until something big happens down there worthy of its own thread. In fact, one of the more recent posts is the rendering for an add-on to the new business school. If you want to keep us updated on what the school is doing to preserve the buildings, that would be the best place to do it.

I'm glad they're starting to fix the campus, but that's only a start. But if you want to continue, feel free in the New Bedford thread. Thanks again for the post... I know it may be asking a bit much, but maybe bring a camera with you and snap some shots???? just a thought.

The illustrations from the Times article by Ourousoff above:

0010.jpg

Larkin-ish space with tangerine carpet and statue of Athena.

0020.jpg

Same, after the 1969 fire.

0030.jpg

Rudolph's masterpiece.

0040.jpg

Gwathmey's mud pie.

^ You'd think the end users would have seen where this was going; after all, they were art historians, artists and architects. Bet the administration didn't even consult them. Philistines.

This job is as big an architectural tragedy as the recladding of Stone's gem on Columbus Circle.

Wasn't Richard Meier on this project at one point? Did Yale decide it didn't want to let a Cornellian onto their turf?

I'm no fan of Meier, but I think he'd have done better here. Gwathmey's addition looks like a cheap Sears-Roebuck 3-season room, added unsympathetically, to a handsome home.

Last edited:
Do you think Ouroussoff wears his ascot to bed? And his green carnation? Yikes.

This is a great thread. I learned a lot.

BTW, who did the majority of work at UMASS Amherst?

BTW, who did the majority of work at UMASS Amherst?

Wikipedia said:
The school has several buildings of importance in the modernist style, including the campus center designed by Marcel Breuer, the Southwest Residential Area designed by Hugh Stubbins Jr of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, The Fine Arts Center by Kevin Roche, and the Mullins Center by Gordon Bunshaft. The eclectic mix of building styles draws mixed reactions from students and visitors. The Lederle Graduate Research Center is currently undergoing an exterior renovation. New construction projects on campus include the Studio Arts Building and the Integrated Sciences Center.

Kevin Roche's Fine Arts Center is meat 'n taters Brutalism -- it made an impression on me when I visited the campus in 1987. I'll bet the kids hate it.

Do you think Ouroussoff wears his ascot to bed? And his green carnation?
Does he exhibit sartorial tendencies? He should take after Tom Wolfe. Or at least learn from him how to write a snappy sentence.

I was one of the few students who really liked the Brutalistic-style buildings at UMass. Most of my classmates thought they were horrible. There are so many hidden areas and places to explore in the Fine Arts Center. Finding your class can be a bit of a challenge however.

"Tore your sweater?" Yale has nothing on UMASS. I broke my leg on the steps of the Fine Arts Center!

Back