3. Federal Reserve

IMG_7237.jpg

4. The Pru

IMG_7114.jpg

5. It's a battle among:
>Exchange Place - loved the glass on this since I was a kid
>International Place - Tall, round, iconic from the waterfront
>One Lincoln (State Street Building) - Especially at night
>111 Huntington - It won building of the year!
>One Boston Place - Controversial, but the only standout building when coming from the North, and see my 3rd choice to know I like evil buildings
>The Landmark at Federal (aka United Shoe Machinery Building) pictured, Gold roof towards the right

IMG_3308.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't know that United Shoe Machinery was called The Landmark. The Sears building in the Fenway also has that name.

The worst landmarks in the city

#1 Boston City Hall
#2 Congress St Garage
#3 Harbor Garage
#4 Harbor Towers
#5 Filenes Hole

1. State Services/Hurley Building
298428667_6b7df4fb98_b.jpg

2. Boston City Hall
298433089_b2250f3941_b.jpg

3. Boston Wharf Co. Buildings

4. Park Plaza Hotel

5. The Ubiquitous 1920s Apartment buildings.
2429388684_12b7b3b6b8_b.jpg

I wanted to put the Hurley Building too. It's hard to pick.

Is there a story behind those Parker Street rowhouses?

I quite like Stoneholm:

971093-Stoneholm_Apartments-Brookline.jpg

I don't know the story. I wish I did. They remind me of the old mill worker houses around Pennsylvania. So, I always wondered if they were built for workers at some factory that used to be in the area.

1./2. One Lincoln/33 Arch
3. John Hancock
4. Exchange Place
5. South Station

Oh yes, I do love those old Roxbury Pudding Stone row houses. There was a quarry on Parker (now Mission) Hill which is why these buildings are there. Also some on Sewall St.

Speaking of ugly, this church further up Parker St is pretty offensive.

This +4 other buildings that aren't nearly as awesome as this.
4616750852_7deae803a2_o.jpg

(Photo stolen from SSP member PigBoy)

^^^ I love that one Statler! I think there is another one in DTX that has the same color scheme and used to house a candy shop. (isn't there?) Those 2 are among my favorites, but I happen to be somewhat skyscraper-obsessed first and foremost :D

Idk why but the pru is my favorite its ugly in a beautiful way. Also I love how there really isnt another building like it same with the hancock.

boston.jpg

1.75 State Street
2. The Old Hancock Building
3. Custom House
4.125 Summer Street, I have never been in the building but its a skyscraper with a lawn ! If it was not for the the T or maybe big dig vent tower the building would look even better.
5. 53 State Street

I'm actually shocked that people like the architecture of the Federal Reserve. I feel that is the on the uglier buildings in Boston. But it is also my simple opinion.

What material is the facade made of? It's not alucobond is it?

^Rifleman

I've lost count of the number of posts I agree with you on, but not this one.

IMO the Federal Reserve tower is a beauty. In some light it is opalescent, and in other light it complements the sky. I also think it is perfectly suited to its location and disposition relative to the Fort Point Channel, amplifying the change in eras as one crosses the Summer Street bridge.

It is also horribly anti-urban, something that gets far too little consideration when discussing the pros and cons of buildings, even here.

I understand why it is anti-urban, doesn't mean I have to like it.

Back