[ARCHIVED] Harbor Garage Redevelopment | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New tower at Aquarium parking garage.

This is purely an academic question, since nothing like this would get built in Boston: would the effect be similar to the "Manhattan is about to capsize" look that the WTC gave? With the hills behind HK, that imbalance is less of a problem?

You can't really tell from that picture, but it's located directly on the water. It's one of the most beautiful skyscrapers in the world in my opinion.

I agree. I actually enjoyed its role in the newest Batman movie. Fewer buildings create the breathtaking view from the water that this one does and I've never even seen it in person. I'd at least take it's shorter twin, 1 IFC in Boston.

^^ Well obviously. I believe everyone who is looking for an iconic tower to be much less than a supertall but stands out compared to the Harbor Tower at least. Problem is, this proposal is a twin which I have to be totally against. Two twins in one location is sort of tacky. It's either one or one has to be significantly shorter or different in design. I think a 600 ft - 800 ft tower would be best. 800ft if its a single tower, 600ft + a shorter twin for two towers.

^^ I agree, two sets of twins would look odd/stupid. It would look considerably better if the design is two buildings of seperate heights (just like the IFC in HK).

I think he(Chiofaro)learn from the 1st time that the city dose'nt want twins
xcranes015.jpg
boston_97320.jpg

Toby you are just to clever.

This is not a good spot for twins at all. Nor is it a spot for beige stone, circles, arches, or endless window arrays. Something that properly melds the Aquarium's awesomeness to pedestri-philic Faneuil Hall's historical zone, and PoMo-Town's goofy Brooks Brotherian zone.

Yes, something unabashedly modern would play well against the rosey PoMo and grey beton brut nearby. Pelli or Foster would be nice, but something tells me Renzo Piano would do a smash-up job on this site.

Something also tells me that with our recent shock about the Gov't Center Garage designs, our aspirations are too high, and we should be expecting more at the level of a CBT, or at best some crappy SOM.

Only in our dreams

I'd like to see Ken Yeang design something in the Kendall Square biotech zone.

Or Seaport. Or Copley. Or anywhere in Boston, except maybe Beacon Hill and DTX.

Isn't that the guy that helped develop Sim City 2000?

^Are you thinking of Will Wright? Though, some of the buildings in SC2k do resemble Ken Yeang's... particularly the "acropolisi" or whatever they were called in the game. They blend modern architecture with organics in a similar way.

^Are you thinking of Will Wright? Though, some of the buildings in SC2k do resemble Ken Yeang's... particularly the "acropolisi" or whatever they were called in the game. They blend modern architecture with organics in a similar way.

I'm pretty sure they were called 'arcologies'

It would be a good way to make over City Hall, with all that green droopy stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back