Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

^ Truly Dullsville.

Look! A real city!

A shame this architecturally rich district isn't a focal point in Boston's nightlife.

I know it really is a shame. There are a dozen or so abandoned buildings over there and why are there no bars ? There is "Drink" and "Lucky's" but those are on the other side. All that stuff near Gilette needs ground floor bars / restaurants / retail.

Hopefully with the completion of Channel Center that can become a reality.
Saw them sprucing up the former Chimeria building recently as well.
Across from the old A Street Pizza / sub shop place.

^^ Looks like it's 51 Melcher St to me. I used to work in that building in a contractor's field office. There was a mix of artists' studios, industrial office space, and other light industrial use (I think there was a printing press above us). Really shitty, C-class space, but a handsome building and a great location. The landlord started bouncing everyone when their leases came up because the owner was planning to develop. High end residential at the time . . . was going to be "the next SoHo" if I recall correctly . . .

I think the owner was Beacon Capital at the time (the guys who took a bath on the Channel Center), but don't quote me on that.

yep that's the address......

Hopefully with the completion of Channel Center that can become a reality.

Can one complex change a neighborhood? Will Channel Center do for Ft. Point what Faneuil Hall did for downtown in the 70s?

^ Does Channel Center have an idea as compelling as Ben Thompson's for Faneuil Hall Marketplace ?

Is there adequate public transportation to Channel Center?

all good questions and sadly I think the answer is no...

^ Does Channel Center have an idea as compelling as Ben Thompson's for Faneuil Hall Marketplace ?

I think this sort of panacea thinking kills cities. I dont think the FP needs "attractions" or a "destination". It just needs the basics. Get lots, and lots of people living and working there, and the rest will take care of itself if we just let it.

from logan today
110-3.jpg
113JPG9.jpg

and from the Greenway today
020-4.jpg
019-5.jpg
018-4.jpg
016-4.jpg
014-6.jpg
013-5.jpg
012-6.jpg
015-5.jpg

Thanks Boston02124 for your continued excellent coverage on this building. I really think when this project is complete you should approach the buildings owners and sell your pictures to them for their archive. You could place them in a portfolio and offer it for sale if you decided on that idea. I know others will disagree with me, but I believe this building to be the best structure built in Boston in a very long time. It is a welcome addition to the waterfront. It is unfortunate to be placed next to the Intercontinental, which IMO detracts from it a bit, just too much glass concentrated in that area. But, that being said, it is strong enough to make a bold statement on its own. It is still a magnificent achievement on many levels and I think it will be spectacular lit up at nightime. As far as I'm concerned you could never take too many pictures of it. Thanks again.

I think it would have looked really nice if the thick white mullions were also on the thin facade.Either way this tower is just plain awesome.

Saw this from the platform at S Station today - the glass is very nice, and it adds to the sense of urban enclosure from the platform area.

You can see Atlantic Wharf from the South Station platform?

Yes, very plainly. Unless there was another 20+ story glass building going up next to the Federal Reserve...

I wouldn't try taking a photo from that perspective, though, given, well, this shit.

Has there been any progress at street level? I'm looking forward to seeing the glass interact with the three old buildings at the base of Congress St.

Back