Boston Conservatory of Music | 132 Ipswich St | Fenway

Re: Boston Conservatory of Music buys 132 Ipswich St

Disappointing looking. I get the need for big volume rehearsal space. I wonder if they looked at what the 42nd St Studios did to create an interesting exterior.

Was that rendering stolen from the 1970's?

hey, at least they were honest and drew in the expansion joints in the render.

9811767313_c17734eac8_b.jpg

Watch out terrorists, the BPD is on watch.

Awful pic but it's already topped out!

10215141633_8899258644_b.jpg

10684597506_54478dd1ef_b.jpg

10684784533_9768a1db0a_b.jpg

10679302045_8c500ea122_b.jpg

While we're adding vibrancy to Ipswich Street, can we renovate the High School a few feet down the road? The piss water yellow takes away from the character of the area.

Huh...I'm intrigued by how they're not trying to hide the fact they're using precast brick panels and at least trying to make them an essential part of the design.

Maybe the end result will work, maybe it won't, but it's definitely a different tack from every other project we've seen where the message from those nasty panel seams is "NOTHING TO SEE HERE!"

It raises an interesting question: to what extent is the public at large even remotely aware that modern "brickwork" is far more often than not precast panels? Does anyone actually notice the aesthetic difference? And if not, does that make us like the crusty purists who decry "Champagne" that comes from New Zealand wineries?

It raises an interesting question: to what extent is the public at large even remotely aware that modern "brickwork" is far more often than not precast panels? Does anyone actually notice the aesthetic difference? And if not, does that make us like the crusty purists who decry "Champagne" that comes from New Zealand wineries?

Shep -- I doubt that the public walking along the sidewalk when they pass a 1/2" thick granite sheet hung from a steel frame almost like a window realizes that the granite and other things that they equate with being "Real" in the past -- today -- its just about anything that can be made flat and hung from the steel.

Soon even that wont matter with 3D printed walls coming soon and very soon to a building site near you

No way the public at large is aware, but I think if you were to ask them "does this building look new or old?" they would instinctively pick up on a few key clues telling them whether a machine or a human's hands put the building together and from there they'd come up with maybe the right answer. Or at least that's my theory...?

Back