Crazy Transit Pitches

fig011.jpg

Artist's rendering of Jct. I-95/MA-128 & I-93 in 2020.

What is this? Houston?!

Naw, if this were Houston, most of the surrounding area would need to be removed and another six lanes of local access roads would need to be added on either side.

There wouldn't be a massive expansion in lanes, either, like you'd see in Texas. This plan separates the 8-10 lanes into an express/local set up: 2-3 express lanes on I-95 to the east and 2-3 local and auxiliary lanes in between exits. Lane capacity would remain basically unchanged but you would see a tremendous increase in throughput capacity of the interchange. Not only are there too many exit and entrance ramps along I-95, the 1.5 mile corridor includes two horrifically inadequate cloverleaf interchanges!

It's just about using the current right-of-way in a much more efficient manner.

Ron Newman said:
What about a three-level design where each freeway direction has a single exit and entrance, leading to a rotary (which is the third level)? This removes all the weaving from the freeways and moves it solely to the rotary. You might even be able to reclaim some of the land now occupied by cloverleaf ramps this way.

Rotaries have notoriously low capacities, though. Think about the mess that used to be the Sagamore rotary and magnify that by a pretty significant factor. Even if the rotary is segregated from the two freeways, the backups caused by exiting traffic having to slow through the rotary would more than make up for the eliminated weaving congestion.

5969413896_dd77de8774_b.jpg

Just a quick drawing then traced on MS Paint.

I don't see a 2 track Eastern Route and 2 track Blue Line to Salem being the best use of the 60' ROW at all, so I had to go up!

Thing is out there the land is so cheap that it wouldn't make sense to build a costly viaduct. In Lynn proper maybe, but between Wonderland and Lynn at grade or an embankment is all you need.

Also keep in mind that building it as you've proposed you would need to rebuild the CR tracks which would at least double the cost of the project.

This was for downtown Lynn until the Swampscott/Salem border, as space is tight there. Not necessary for Wonderland to Lynn, but Lynn to Salem, yes.

Also, current tracks can be somewhat easily shifted, no? But signaling has to be reworked. It could be rolled in with a North-South rail link and Amtrak NEC extension. It would help cover costs with more money from other agencies (Amtrak).

FKaL9.jpg

The latest rendition of my fantasy MBTA map currently in progress.

Number (Color) Termini
Line 1 (Red) Burlington - Braintree
Line 2 (Dark Blue) Lynn - Riverside
Line 3 (Green) Belmont - Boston College
Line 4 (Yellow) Franklin Park - Cleveland Circle
Line 5 (Brown) Harvard Square - Forest Hills
Line 6 (Orange) Reading - Needham Heights
Line 7 (Purple) Winchester Center - Route 128/Amtrak
Line 8 (Pink) Wonderland - Riverside
Line 9 (Black) Adams Plaza - Islington
Line 10 (Light Blue) Brandeis - Ashmont
Line 11 (Gold) Ashmont - Roslindale Village
Line 12 (Silver) Circle

Expanding on the earlier discussion about interstates, here's my revamped highway network for Eastern New England designed to designate key corridors. . .

Ground Rules
-- Integrated planning when possible for concurrent transit. As the Feds are not really providing matching funds for interstates anymore except for a few high-priority corridors this is the only substantial way to get national investment in regional corridor development. Also a requirement to control suburban sprawl and the induced demand problem.
-- Address all major Eastern NE cities (i.e. east of I-395 and I-93/NH, south of Concord/Portsmouth latitude): Worcester, Providence, Lowell, Fall River/New Bedford metro, Manchester/Concord metro, Cape. That's where the most growth is going to be, and where integrated planning in the suburbs has its highest priority.
-- Clean up route numbering and get the US routes back on the undivided roads where they belong and the major city-linking expressways designated interstates. Other areas of the country tag every highway under the sun as a 3-digit interstate, but for whatever reason New England's extremely reticent to do the same (look how long it took 395 and the southeast quadrant of 495 to get designated). And our 2-digits save for I-91 and the Pike are all oddly discontinuous because of highway revolts (even outside of the Boston/128 moratorium...93, 84, and 89 stop well short of traversing the whole region).
-- Toll all interstates at the borders for traffic crossing into MA (only fair that other states get the same courtesy). Can probably be done on newly-designated ones since they'll be state-paid, but would be nice to get a fed exception on the existing ones. Exceptions: Mass Pike (already tolled), I-84 (already de facto tolled at Pike).
-- Save for a couple short < 5 mile missing links with high existing likelihood of happening in next 20 years, required construction is limited to upgrading existing expressways to full interstate standards. That's all we can really afford, and all that's really needed. This is an economic development plan, not an overheated 1960's road construction orgy.
-- No 8-lane add-a-lane projects outside of 128 and major arteries between multiple highways (e.g. I-93 Hooksett-Bow, I-290 downtown Worcester, etc.). Too self-defeating on sprawl and induced demand.
-- Go to milepost-based exit numbering statewide. This is now a federal law that states have to transition to it over the next 10-15 years, so might as well get on with it and have the rest of New England join milepost-based Maine in the 21st century. This will make the route renumberings a lot easier, and eliminate the utter nonsensical numbering on every road inside 128 and all those "Exit xxA" instances where an infill exit was grafted into the pre-existing numbering (see Pike/146, Pike/495).

-------------------------------------------------------

Southern NH/Northeast MA (US 3 and NH 101 corridors)

New Construction
-- Upgrade 4 mile "super-2" section of NH 101 to full 4-lane expressway from NH 27 to NH 1A in Hampton so it actually hits 1A and US 1 instead of fizzing out shortly past I-95.

Upgrades
-- Upgrade any interstate-deficient sections of US 3 in NH.
-- Upgrade deficient Lowell Connector to interstate standards.

Redesignation
-- NH 101 between NH 114 and NH 1A, including concurrent Manchester I-293 segment, becomes I-193.
-- US 3 Option #1: US 3 becomes I-293 from I-93 in Hooksett to 128 in Burlington. 3A reverts to US 3. Least disruptive for route numbering. If I had to guess, this is the most likely to get approved.
-- US 3 Option #2 (preferred): I-89 extended concurrent with I-93 for 9 miles Bow-Hooksett on existing 8-lane portion, then takes over I-293/US 3 to 128. Designate Lowell Connector I-389 (189 unavailable...CT/MA cross-border state road). Pros: Gives US 3 expressway equal weight to I-93 for dividing NH traffic, prioritizes Lowell-area development, brings I-89 into populated areas with connections to Southern NE instead of being relegated to "forgotten interstate" rural road status. Cons: NH may have reservations about concurrent 93/89 numbering; Feds want to minimize concurrent 2-digit numberings when possible.

Integrated Transit
-- NH Main rail parallels US 3 to Concord, I-89 (on abandoned segment) to White River Jct., VT. High-priority federal High Speed Rail corridor with short-term goal of MBTA to Nashua and Concord.
-- Eastern Route commuter rail restoration Newburyport-Portsmouth. Serves Hampton/193, significantly eases I-95 congestion, potential for future HSR upgrades.

Worcester-Providence (Route 146 corridor)

New Construction
-- Close out ongoing MA 146 expressway upgrades. 4-mile segment from MA 122A in Millbury to Central Turnpike in Sutton currently in design.
-- Upgrade 1-mile segment from RI 99 to RI 146A in N. Smithfield to full expressway.

Upgrades
-- Upgrade any deficient RI expressway segments to full interstate standards (most of it recently rebuilt, but I-95 to RI 246 segment very old with narrow lanes/shoulders).

Redesignation
-- 146 becomes I-190 extension.
-- 146 reverts back onto RI 246 and RI/MA 146A.
-- I-290 truncated to Worcester-to-495 segment. Downtown Worcester segment between 190/290 and 290/146 becomes becomes I-190.
-- I-395 extended on former I-290 Auburn-Worcester segment to 146 as route cleanup and to unify New London-Worcester corridor.

Integrated Transit
-- RIDOT Providence-Woonsocket-Worcester commuter rail via P&W mainline, with upgrades to passenger speeds (modest, since line already well-maintained).
-- CDOT New London-Worcester commuter rail (Shore Line East-like service with lowish frequencies) via P&W mainline, with upgrades to passenger speeds (modest, since line already well-maintained). Possible Amtrak bypass.
-- MBTA Franklin Line extension to Woonsocket via former B&P RR alignment.
-- Possible future Worcester-Concord/Lowell bypass on Pan Am Worcester Branch (MBTA cut passenger trackage rights deal last year) connecting I-190, I-89 (or 293) corridors. Amtrak NYC-Downeaster or NYC-Concord directs bypassing Boston.

Providence-Fall River/New Bedford (MA 24 and I-195 corridors)

Upgrades
-- Decomission MA 79 expressway, reconstruct as 4-lane waterfront boulevard. Combine 24/79 and Highland Ave./24 interchanges into one bi-directional interchange. Upside: reconnects waterfront, eliminates far underused expressway for something more useful.
-- Lower-profile ramps from MA 79 to 195/Braga Bridge along with boulevard construction. Eliminate deficient decking at interchange.
-- MA 24 add-a-lane from I-495 to MA 140, Raynham-Taunton. Construct full 140 interchange to eliminate traffic lights.
-- MA 24 add-a-lane from 79 interchange to 195, with upgraded exit ramps en route and improved 195 interchange (capacity trade for eliminating 79 expressway).
-- Upgrade deficient sections of MA 24 to Randolph to full interstate standards. Do not do the proposed add-a-lane to 8 lanes project Brockton-north; makes suburban sprawl/induced demand worse, takes too much land, and fatally clobbers 128 + Braintree split.

Redesignation
-- MA 79 discontinued on 24/79 concurrent segment, decomissioned on replacement boulevard. Re-sign as US 6/MA 138 from Taunton River crossing south to 195, take US 6 off city streets and co-sign it with 195 out to the 24 south/Brayton Ave. interchange. North of bridge out to 24, make the boulevard an unsigned state road. Upside: better traffic flow on 6/138 with re-route, leaving unsigned north to 24 discourages speeding traffic on boulevard.
-- MA 24 becomes interstate north of 195. I-595 if 195 designation stays the same (see Cape section for more details).
-- MA 24 stays same south of 195 (not worth upgrade because discontinuous with north segment of 24, discontinuous on Aquidneck Island because of 1960's highway revolt).

Integrated Transit
-- Taunton commuter rail on Stoughton Branch (Phase I).
-- Fall River/New Bedford commuter rail (Phase II).
-- Newport commuter rail via Fall River (RIDOT project), w/restored Sakonnet River RR bridge and upgraded track. Limited Boston service on Fall River Line (increased in-season), Providence-Newport (RIDOT) via Attleboro Branch with stops only in Pawtucket, Taunton, FR to keep commute competitive with highways.
-- Note: ROW from Providence-Fall River only preserved in RI, obliterated from state line at Warren/Swansea with former Slades Ferry bridge across Taunton River demolished. Wattupa Branch discontinuous to FR mainline because of 195 downtown tunnel. East Providence tunnel and drawbridge still available, but former viaduct to Providence station demolished. No possibility of direct PRV-FR-NB rail without extremely expensive new ROW construction required, mainly along the 195 median; never going to happen.

Cape (MA 3, US 6, I-195 corridors)

New Construction
-- MA 25 Bourne-Sagamore connector Option #1 (preferred): South of canal routing, 3-1/2 miles across abandoned Camp Edwards land from US 6 curve at MA 130 to Bourne Bridge southside rotary. Pros: balances bridge traffic between overloaded Sagamore and underloaded Bourne, puts off need for new span for probably 1-2 more decades, zero land acquisition required because of available military property. Cons: some environmental hurdles with Cape aquifer.
-- MA 25 Bourne-Sagamore connector Option #2: North of canal routing, 2 miles from MA 25 curve onto Bourne Bridge approach to Sagamore/MA 3 interchange, using power line land state purchased decades ago for expressway. Pros: highest capacity link. Cons: severely overloads Sagamore Bridge, underloads Bourne Bridge, eventually necessitates new bridge. Don't think this one works without the new span, which probably makes it too hard to swallow.
-- New Bourne Bridge flyover at full expressway standards, same as new Sagamore flyover.
-- Expand "super-2" section of US 6 expressway from MA 134 in South Dennis to end of highway in Orleans to full 4-lane expressway. Or at least as far as MA 137 in Harwich for Chatham access if community opposition doesn't allow going to Orleans.
-- Expand "super-2" section of US 44 expressway in Middleboro to full 4-lane expressway. Build full I-495 interchange in place of rotary, with prevailing east-west traffic flow. Upside: traffic relief on MA 3 north with direct 495 belt access from Plymouth to offset increased Cape/Sagamore traffic.

Upgrades
-- Rebuild 195/495 interchange, replacing half-cloverleaf so traffic favors east-west (195) direction instead of north-south. Less reliance on 495 here because of increased MA 3 and US 44 traffic flow.
-- Upgrade any deficient sections of US 6 expressway to full interstate standards, including rebuild of substandard southside Sagamore approach.
-- Install jersey barrier on Bourne and Sagamore Bridges for grade separation, 50 MPH speed limit. Take dangerous sidewalk jut to create space for barrier, graft on new sidewalk overhangs onto sides of bridges for full pedestrian/bike access.
-- Upgrade all deficient ramps on US 3 to Braintree split to full interstate standards. Judicious 6-lane add-a-lane segments, but do not go 8 lanes from Kingston to Braintree as proposed...too expensive, too much sprawl/induced demand, too much stress on SE Expressway and Braintree split.

Redesignation
-- MA 3 becomes I-93 from Braintree to new US 6/MA 25 Sagamore connector. MA 3 concurrency with 93 in Boston decomissioned. I-93 from Braintree split to I-95 becomes I-695. Sagamore is grandfathered from interstate standards so long as it's divided with a barrier.
-- MA 3A either remains as-is or becomes extended MA 203 (eliminates rule violation of having separate in-state US 3 and MA 3).
-- MA 25, new Bourne-Sagamore connector, and US 6 expressway become east-west interstate on I-195 alignment. Bourne grandfathered from interstate standards so long as it's divided with a barrier.
-- Option #1: 2-digit I-82 (preferred): Taking over US 6 from I-295 to I-95 in RI, co-signed with I-95 in Providence between US 6 and 195 (with upgraded 6/95 interchange for better east-west flow), replacing current I-195 and MA 25, over Bourne-Sagamore connector, and replacing US 6 from connector/I-93 interchange to Orleans. Same originally proposed designation for cancelled I-84 routing from Hartford-Providence-Cape that pre-dated the 195 designation. Pros: major corridor growth from Providence to Cape, future extension west if/when CT and RI fill in their US 6 expressway gaps, I-93 complies with interstate rules and ends at a 2-digit instead of 3-digit interstate. Cons: Feds might be finicky about doling this out, esp. with concurrent 95 routing in Providence (although they have I-82 reserved for RI if it ever completes US 6 expressway to the CT border and I-395).
-- Option #2: I-195 extension. Same mileage as above excluding US 6 in RI, with more conservative 3-digit designation. Pros: easier approval, less route disruption. Cons: I-195 gets a little far-flung and stretches the definition of a 3-digit I-95 spur if it interchanges with 93 on the other end and then goes 25 miles further, rule violation on I-93 (2-digit interstates can only end at other 2-digit interstates or US highways unless physically impossible; Feds might prevent US 6 from going interstate because of this).
-- [Contingent on Option #1]: MA 24 becomes I-182 instead of I-595. Upside: If I-82 marks the PRV-FR-NB-CC corridor, then the Boston-FR link ought to reflect I-82.
-- [Contingent on Option #1]: I-495 shifts onto completed US 44 expressway, 495-to-195 segment becomes I-482 (i.e. "82 to 495"). Pros: more geographic synergy with rest of the 495 belt, higher-profile radial highway needed from Plymouth to divert traffic off 93 north, new east-west traffic patterns to Cape diminishes north-south importance of 495 Middleboro-Wareham. Cons: maybe a little too much renumbering. Could always make completed 44 an I-493 (i.e. "495 to 93").
-- RI 10 from US 6 to I-95 becomes I-282 with I-82 designation extended west to 295. Note: 10/6 interchange reconstruction ongoing now, so the whole existing US 6 expressway will be at interstate standards soon.
-- MA 6A becomes US 6 again. US 44 reverts to old alignment. US 6A in RI becomes US 6 again.
-- If RI extends I-82 west with infill of Johnston and Foster expressway gaps, US 6 "super-2" Scituate Bypass would be upgraded to full expressway. Kills the confusing dual US 6 designations in Scituate, and the dual Connecticut Turnpike designations on 395 and the (currently useless) Danielson-state line stub expressway. RIDOT put this back on its long-range wish list since it thinks it's got the environmental hurdles licked (reason the original I-84 proposal died). CT can do whatever it wants with its two US 6 expressway gaps. Maybe Bolton-Willimantic actually gets built as I-384; I wouldn't hold my breath on Willimantic-Danielson officially completing I-82 to Hartford in our lifetimes.

Integrated Transit
-- MBTA extension, Middleboro-Buzzards Bay (Phase I). Limited in-season Cape Rail service to Hyannis.
-- Reinstate Amtrak Cape Codder, with rehab of Attleboro and Middleboro branches (upgrades were planned but stalled when Cape Codder ended in '96).
-- MBTA extension, Buzzards Bay-Hyannis (Phase II). For integrated transit with completed I-82.
-- RIDOT limited service, Providence-Cape, via Attleboro and Middleboro Branches. Express through intermediate stops to keep travel times competitive with highway. Note: Also impossible to go PRV-FR-NB-Cape direct. Never was a water crossing between New Bedford and the (preserved) Fairhaven Secondary; creating one requires prohibitive new ROW construction on the expressway median and navigating around residential density. Total non-starter.
-- (Long-term) Western RI commuter rail via restored Washington Secondary (semi-parallel to Route 6). Phase II restoration of full Hartford-Willimantic-Providence route, which would permit Hartford-Cape on the I-82 corridor and "Inland Cape Codder" service. Western RI and Hartford-Willimantic are low-priority commuter rail studies for RI and CT, likely accelerated if their highway segments are a no-go. Manchester-Willimantic (15 mi.) and Moosup-Providence (20 mi.) abandoned ROW's are fully landbanked; Hartford-Manchester, Willimantic-Moosup active and undergoing major track upgrades for freight. Both states want long-term reactivation.

^

Very interesting read, and a solid plan. I'm not sure about the interstate designation on US-44, though. I'm not certain whether even the new 44 expressway was constructed to interstate grade, as sometimes the failure to seek a designation signals a lack of motivation to keep to the standards. In any case, the question is whether the expressway functions as a connector between interstate highways (I-495 and MA-3/I-93) or merely as a higher-capacity section of the greater US-44, in which case its current designation is fine.

I'm also not a huge fan of short 3-digit interstates, however plentiful they may be elsewhere. I-290 between Worcester and Marlborough could simply be resigned I-395 (most logical would be to sign I-190 as I-395 with perhaps the I-290 designation carrying over onto 146 to formalize its role as a fringe beltway for Boston). The same applies to the Braintree-Canton section of I-93. If anything, that might be better signed as I-193 to represent its role as a feeder to I-93.

I could talk about this endlessly. I'll stop now.

^

Very interesting read, and a solid plan. I'm not sure about the interstate designation on US-44, though. I'm not certain whether even the new 44 expressway was constructed to interstate grade, as sometimes the failure to seek a designation signals a lack of motivation to keep to the standards. In any case, the question is whether the expressway functions as a connector between interstate highways (I-495 and MA-3/I-93) or merely as a higher-capacity section of the greater US-44, in which case its current designation is fine.

I'm also not a huge fan of short 3-digit interstates, however plentiful they may be elsewhere. I-290 between Worcester and Marlborough could simply be resigned I-395 (most logical would be to sign I-190 as I-395 with perhaps the I-290 designation carrying over onto 146 to formalize its role as a fringe beltway for Boston). The same applies to the Braintree-Canton section of I-93. If anything, that might be better signed as I-193 to represent its role as a feeder to I-93.

I could talk about this endlessly. I'll stop now.

The I-93 part of 128 is on the Federal interstate rolls and has been ever since 95/695 into Boston were canceled and the route mileage reassigned to 128, so it can't be decomissioned without the state forfeiting federal maintenance aid. Besides, the state already officially decommissioned 128 on that segment (although nobody in real life has ever stopped calling it what it is), so the 93 relocation would leave it without a route number. That's a case where 3-digit interstate is the only option. If it had no exits or major interchanges on it it can be an unsigned interstate or carry the lone US 1 designation, but the 24 interchange and exits with 2 cross-state state roads (138, 28) and a third state road (37) make that a bad idea. It doesn't really matter in popular vernacular if people call it by its official x95 name...it's always going to be "128" on the radio station traffic reports. And ultimately 93 needs to have something resembling a natural alignment through the state.

The only reason MA 3 was never designated 93 in the first place is because of all the chaos about the unbuilt Boston expressways and fact that the SE Expressway changed designations (and even went without one for some time in the 60's!) practically every other year before the construction moratorium. Time to finally get the last of those moratorium-disrupted designations settled after 40 years (and eliminate the sloppy US 3/MA 3, multiple 3A's rule violations and nonsensical half-assed attempts to tie them all together through the Artery).

US 44 expressway is less than 10 years old, believe it or not. Construction started in '99 from 3, and was completed to MA 58 in Carver in 2005. Nothing existed there prior, and 44 followed what's now MA 80 and High St. in Carver. Expressway is already at 100% interstate standards because it was built under the most modern revision of the standards. The "super-2" segment west of 58 is older, opening in 1968. It's one carriageway of what was supposed to be the full expressway, which is why there's no businesses on it and it goes through the middle of nowhere (old 44 there is MA 105 and some Middleboro streets reverted back to town control). Upgrading that section to full interstate standards would only entail widening to 4 lanes, grade-separating 4 intersections (originally designed for eventual overpassing), making an exit at MA 105, and rebuilding the 495 exit to 44/28/18 into a full interchange and rotary flyover. One of the easiest and least-controversial bits of road construction to do in-state should the traffic patterns on an upgraded 3 merit it.

I would agree it's not a major enough link today, but the Bourne-Sagamore connector completely remakes the traffic patterns east-west on 195 and north-south on 3 to/from the Mid-Cape Highway's southern approach to the Sagamore. And that's going to sharply de-emphasize the 495 Raynham-Wareham segment and transfer a lot of that 495-bound traffic to 44 instead given Plymouth's importance. That's where it starts to merit the (easy) expressway completion and interstate designation (whichever one it is). I also think 482 and 495 should be co-signed from the 24 (182) interchange or have signs "495 TO 482" because that's a very significant 3 miles that'll be carrying a lot more traffic.

190/290 sort of break the rules because 290 was supposed to be a beltway to Route 2 (and 2 going to 128) before the east leg past 495 got cancelled. And CT and MA didn't even want the 395 designation...they wanted 290 extended all the way to New London, but the Feds overruled them. In a perfect world you'd keep 190 as-is, extend 395 to Worcester, and make 146 as 290 so 95, 90, 190/395, and 495 were all joined by a single interstate. But there's no way the Feds are going to go for a swap-over in Auburn from one road to another only 2 miles away when there are consecutive Pike exits affected. The confusion would be too immense...much moreso than just giving up 290 south of downtown and bringing 395 up further (which alleviates a fair amount of current confusion). Imperfect, but this is the only plausible scenario the Fed mapmakers would agree to and it's definitely good enough.

Last edited:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210491618710954337134.0004a96762c5f42152a14&msa=0

BTW...here's the "beta" Google Maps of the plan. Re-categorized interstates in question are included, color-coded around "families" derived from their 2-digit interstate parents. Haven't added descriptions to anything yet, so it's just the visuals.

Really illustrates well what a huge difference having "whole" I-93 and I-89 makes, as well as the utility of the I-82 designation on all the existing roads + Bourne-Sagamore connector. I also included for reference the 4 discontinuous segments in CT and RI built for the old I-84 (3 interstate-standard expressways, 1 "super-2" carriageway intended for future doubling-up) before its cancellation to show where I-82 can go if those states bite the bullet. You can see the gaps aren't as big as you would've thought, and if RI really thinks it's now got a way to safely get the wetlands permitting that it couldn't get 30 years ago on the Johnston-Scituate gap they've really not got a lot of work to do to get as far west as 395. CT, as mentioned, I wouldn't hold my breath on. Although getting 82 to 395 is plenty worthy an accomplishment for the region and does open up an all-expressway Hartford-Cape semi-direct route via (permanently substandard) CT 2, 395, and 82. That's the main reason the Feds are holding the 82 designation for RI even if it's never used for anything more than 395-to-Providence. There's still contiguous east-west expressways from either side.

One addition: MA 213/Methuen Loop becomes I-493 ("I-93 to I-495") pending upgrades to any deficient exits/lanes/curves. With NH 101/I-193 to the north you've now pretty much got a 3-digit beltway of sorts tracing the regional borders of southeastern NH. Seems useful enough since all of 213 and all of NH 101 between 95 and 93 are already both full expressways and each road already serves some degree of the same purpose. Seems worth highlighting up a notch with redesignation.

The latest rendition of my fantasy MBTA map currently in progress.

Number (Color) Termini
Line 1 (Red) Burlington - Braintree
Line 2 (Dark Blue) Lynn - Riverside
Line 3 (Green) Belmont - Boston College
Line 4 (Yellow) Franklin Park - Cleveland Circle
Line 5 (Brown) Harvard Square - Forest Hills
Line 6 (Orange) Reading - Needham Heights
Line 7 (Purple) Winchester Center - Route 128/Amtrak
Line 8 (Pink) Wonderland - Riverside
Line 9 (Black) Adams Plaza - Islington
Line 10 (Light Blue) Brandeis - Ashmont
Line 11 (Gold) Ashmont - Roslindale Village
Line 12 (Silver) Circle
Awesome! Now, let's make it happen!

Central Boston with the rail network it should have. Certainly would be nice...
bQFmn.jpg

It's annoying that no buses travel west through the Back Bay. The 39 goes west on Huntington and east on Boylston, but that's the best you can do.

I wonder if there ever was a bus up Beacon St.

The 55 used to go down Newbury Street. I think the T moved it to Huntington because Newbury was just too congested.

Cool map, Omaja - I get everything except the gray line you have pictured, and the "E line" (yellow) extension towards Kendall...!

I would also entertain the idea of an RER-style express service from South Station to Back Bay to Hynes and then out westward - similarly from North Station to Union Sq to Porter and beyond...

Here's my ongoing proposal (last version was a few pages back) -

mbta2040g.jpg

This differs from others in that its emphasis is multimodal, making use of DMUs or EMUs (the purple lines), ferries (blue lines) trolleys and trolleybuses (double lines) and express buses (dotted lines) to round out the system.

I wonder if some sort of Red/Orange connector would worth it between West Roxbury/Dedham? It may not get the ridership to sustain it, but growing up in WR I was constantly driving over to Dedham.

Cool map, Omaja - I get everything except the gray line you have pictured, and the "E line" (yellow) extension towards Kendall...!

My 'Silver Line' is basically a street-running light rail line that replaces what used to be the Orange Line Washington El. Then once it nears Boylston, it goes underground through the Common, Charles/MGH, the West End, before returning to street level after North Station.

Here's a more completed central overview (still a work in progress, though):
FDviE.jpg

I would also entertain the idea of an RER-style express service from South Station to Back Bay to Hynes and then out westward - similarly from North Station to Union Sq to Porter and beyond...

Was thinking the same thing. On my central overview, the stations with a red white and blue "C" logo are stops on the revamped RER/S-Bahn style commuter rail network. I'll take to tackling that monster once my T network map is done.

Back