Fairmount Line Upgrade

Re: Fairmont Line Upgrade

The point should be to reach the goal of good-transit in a cost-efficient, gradual fashion. No more white elephants. Right now, the goal should be 30-minute off-peak frequency with good on-time-performance. As sexy as DMU-ing multiple lines at once is (and that should still be a distant goal), achieving 30-minute off-peak frequency in a cost-efficient manner should be priority #1.

CapeFlyer > Greenbush Line

Buying 30 DMUs for Fairmount should be the test before committing to DMUs anywhere else, and should be separated from discussion of more widespread use. The CapeFlyer to Greenbush comparison might be very fitting by next year. Flyer ridership has been down so far for year three, might be easy to drop if that trend continues. Greenbush will still be around, at least rush-hours, 20 years from now.

Buying 30 DMUs for Fairmount should be the test before committing to DMUs anywhere else, and should be separated from discussion of more widespread use.

Buying 30 DMUs for a line that has been primed and proven to be of high ridership (which the Fairmount has not...yet) would be a great test before committing to DMUs anywhere else. The corridor looks great....the density is there, it's a transit-oriented population, etc, but it is still in the process of having ridership grow to the point where rapid-transit levels of service are the next step.

If you increase frequency, and the ridership still doesn't show up (I'd be surprised), then you don't commit to using the Fairmount Line as your test bed....but rather Boston-Waltham, or Boston-Lynn, or whatever corridor outperforms Fairmount and has already proven higher ridership.

Either way, the DMU step comes after the ridership increase that coincides with a much cheaper increase in frequency.

The CapeFlyer to Greenbush comparison might be very fitting by next year. Flyer ridership has been down so far for year three, might be easy to drop if that trend continues. Greenbush will still be around, at least rush-hours, 20 years from now.

That is why I made the point. Greenbush is a mistake. It was forced before there was any proven ridership base, and at such a high cost, we can't just cut and run. CapeFlyer was another unproven test, which has faltered a bit, but nobody is dismayed over having attempted (and still attempting) a low-cost trial.

I could have been dishonest and said Downeaster > Greenbush, but in reality, for every Downeaster there is a CapeFlyer, and that's the point of gradual increases of service. Some new services look a lot better on paper and aren't a hit. You don't want to over-commit.

I don't dispute your concerns over the cost and the politics... however...

We already have a Fairmount schedule that runs commuter-rail-style. And it's not that great. Averages every-40-minutes at 'peak' and every hour otherwise. Except for some longer gaps that presumably involve shuttling equipment around.

Now perhaps it can be argued that this is fine for a Step 1 -- if only the T could run it reliably and consistently.

I do want to note a few other things about your comment:

Dot and HP aren't Somerville-level density.

Dorchester near the Fairmount line has a similar level of housing unit density when compared to Somerville, and a higher level of population density (more people per dwelling unit).

The Fairmount corridor also has lower rates of car-usage than Somerville and a presumed higher rate of transit dependency.

Address a vulnerability in people's commutes instead.

It's not clear to me that the standard schedule pattern of commuter rail that mainly serves the 9-to-5 office workers is appropriate on the Fairmount line.

I don't have the numbers, but it would make a good project: what's the actual need among current or potential riders?

Part of the reason for projecting it as a 'subway line' is that subways serve a much wider population than our miserable commuter rail system does. People who work second shift, third shift, or whatever their boss gives them. And the ~80% of travel that occurs for non-work-commute reasons.

Buying 30 DMUs for a line that has been primed and proven to be of high ridership (which the Fairmount has not...yet) would be a great test before committing to DMUs anywhere else. The corridor looks great....the density is there, it's a transit-oriented population, etc, but it is still in the process of having ridership grow to the point where rapid-transit levels of service are the next step.

If you increase frequency, and the ridership still doesn't show up (I'd be surprised), then you don't commit to using the Fairmount Line as your test bed....but rather Boston-Waltham, or Boston-Lynn, or whatever corridor outperforms Fairmount and has already proven higher ridership.

Either way, the DMU step comes after the ridership increase that coincides with a much cheaper increase in frequency.

That is why I made the point. Greenbush is a mistake. It was forced before there was any proven ridership base, and at such a high cost, we can't just cut and run. CapeFlyer was another unproven test, which has faltered a bit, but nobody is dismayed over having attempted (and still attempting) a low-cost trial.

I could have been dishonest and said Downeaster > Greenbush, but in reality, for every Downeaster there is a CapeFlyer, and that's the point of gradual increases of service. Some new services look a lot better on paper and aren't a hit. You don't want to over-commit.

Should bus service have been increased substantially in Somerville before making the full build commitment for GLX? No one can say the existing bus service is so fully saturated that light rail is the only option left to improve service. Buying 30 DMUs is very cheap compared to the cost of building a full blown light rail line despite the fact that existing bus ridership does not make the case for light rail.

My point is that doing it on the cheap without making a full commitment can be a double-edged sword. Easy to add the service, but also very easy to drop the service perhaps prematurely if the ridership doesn't appear as quick as anticipated.

Great link. I love that Readville isn't even Zone 1A. Like it's that important to make the distinction that that one section of Hyde Park is too far away from SS to be under the same fare system as all the other stations... I just wish I was in the room listening to people advocate that that distinction is so critical to farebox recovery that we can't possibly make the fare uniform across all stations. So many half-measures for this poor transit dependent population. Such a shame.

F-Line and Winston make some great points and while I acknowledge that "solving" this corridor will be more complicated than the obvious first-look solutions that seem to present itself I keep zooming out and thinking would other city planners not so close to this issue really look at this entirely double tracked grade-separated right of way going through some of the densest and most transit dependent areas of the Commonwealth see so many problems or would they be tickled pink by all of seeming low-hanging fruit?

It's hard to say but I would be happy if this DMU purchase delay started discussions about serious southside electrification and EMU purchases. I think the obvious first build would be Fairmount and Worcester line to Riverside at least. That along with the Providence line would make for an appropriately scaled EMU fleet that could really deliver service along the Fairmount that it deserves. I know we're talking increased scope and cost but I think it's warranted as part of the public discourse.

I love that Readville isn't even Zone 1A. Like it's that important to make the distinction that that one section of Hyde Park is too far away from SS to be under the same fare system as all the other stations... I just wish I was in the room listening to people advocate that that distinction is so critical to farebox recovery that we can't possibly make the fare uniform across all stations. So many half-measures for this poor transit dependent population. Such a shame.

It's worth noting that to include Readville in Zone 1A, Hyde Park Station would also need to be included in Zone 1A, as it is the next stop in on the Franklin/Providence/Stoughton Lines.

It's also worth noting that an exception was already made to include some of the other stations in Zone 1A despite being further out than your standard Zone 1A Stations. Readville is 9.2 track miles from South Station, via the Fairmount Line. Further from South Station than:

• Quincy Center (Zone 1)
  • Hyde Park (1)
  • Roslindale Village (1)
  • Bellevue (1)
  • Highland (1)
  • West Roxbury (1)
  • Newtonville (1)
  • West Newton (Zone 2!)

Making Readvillle Zone 1A necessitates having Hyde Park in Zone 1A. It also raises questions as to why the Roslindale and West Roxbury stations aren't Zone 1A (also city of Boston...closer to South Station), why Quincy Center isn't Zone 1A, and why the Newton stations aren't Zone 1A.

And if you buy them, don't expand the service or pull back the service instead, and run DMU's at rush hour on a 495 line instead...you get the worst of all worlds. Vehicles ill-suited to the task, that cost more to operate for that task, and $200M pissed down the drain.

Fear of transit loss or fear of broken promises as sales pitch for making an expensive, non- state-of-repair related vehicle purchase is a guaranteed loser of an argument for a new vehicle purchase. If they want to make sure the purchase never happens...parrot that line over and over again. Because nothing will be more effective at killing this dead. The purchase, the service...all of it.

Fear does not appeal to riders. It most certainly does not appeal to risk-averse politicians.

What's missing here...what's missing for every aspect of this...is an implementation plan.

How?
-- How is the fare collection going to work "rapid transit-like". Not by paying by smartphone or paying a premium for onboard fare; that biases against people who don't have or can't afford smartphones, primarily poor and elderly. How does the service achieve fare collection equitability with rapid transit fare collection?

-- How is the fare portability going to work with transfers? How do you transfer without double-dipping rapid transit fares? How does this attract ridership if a bus-to-subway transfer prices out less, unless there's a specific transfer structure? Is there going to be a transfer structure? If so, what is it?

-- How are the zones going to break out? Is everything staying 1A? Because this won't work if there's intra-city Zone 1's unless you redirect some buses to stop at the nearest 1A. How do you make the rest of the 2024 map square when the zones escalate at different rates on every single line? How is this route system scalable beyond 1 line only without figuring that out for this first line?

When?
-- When can we see meaningful service increases start? When does this start stepping up from today's service to full-blown clock-facing service? When does each successive step in the service increases get triggered? Do we have to wait until the DMU's are on the property before we see anything? Based on all recent vehicle purchases, that's like 6 years after a bid that's now been postponed. What would you be able to do and when with current equipment during that long a wait? Plot this for us on a calendar.

-- When do we get an answer on the fare strategy? We have no idea if these service frequencies are going to be useful without knowing this. Plot that for us on a calendar.

What?
-- What can tell us about the odds of this actually happening after so many broken promises? What are you specifically doing to make sure you meet the steps in the service plan you're going to specifically tell us the how's and when's of? What happens to the service plan if there's another budget shock? What guarantees can you make that we won't be the first cuts?

-- What is Keolis's statement about operating this service when they--and their predecessors--have had so much trouble operating bread-and-butter commuter rail on-time with good customer service? What stresses does this put on operations, and what is the impact on this service on a day when commuter rail operations across the board are stressed? Will we be the first to have canceled trains and vultured equipment to prop up the suburbs? Can they commit to a clock-facing turnaround time? What's the recourse if they can't? What are the implications for the next operator contract renewal?

-- What are the performance metrics that trigger the next rung of service increases? Is that set in stone what the escalating rungs are going to be, or are you going to play it by ear? We're suspicious of less-than-firm commitments, so what's your answer to us to relieve those suspicions?

-- What's the worst-case scenario if this doesn't work out? If it belly-flops like Greenbush? Do we have a service guarantee that the rollout will continue? What ridership does this have to show to proceed to each successive step?

Where?
-- Where are you getting the money to do this? We've just come off years of service cuts and deferred service increases. The repair bills for regular commuter rail are more than you can afford. You need more replacement commuter rail equipment. And you're asking to spend over $200 million for starters. Where are the funding sources for the service going to come from to ensure a service rollout in this budget environment? What ensures that your implementation timeframe that you told us the how's, what's, and when's on happens? And happens on-time?

-- Where's your backup plan if you fall short? Do the DMU's get further deferred? Can Keolis run this with regular commuter rail trainsets? What's their answer on the service levels they can run it with on push-pull equipment? Or do we deal with service cuts? Where does service get cut first?

-- Where do we go for updates on answering these questions in the implementation plan? Are you going to update us with specifics: how's, what's, when's, and where's?

Why?
-- Why should we trust you to live up to your word, when that hasn't happened to-date? Show us why this implementation plan is worth the paper it's printed on with specifics. Show us why we should believe Keolis is capable of providing reliable service by them giving us specifics, and a customer service chain of command.

-- Why is this commitment to the inner city going to be honored...this time...and not see resources diverted to the suburbs. We heard about that Foxboro DMU proposal. Why aren't we going to be subject to another bait-and-switch? What are your guarantees.

ALL
OF
THIS
MUST
BE
ANSWERED. . .

. . .up-front, or we do not have an implementation plan. It does not cost anything to state for the record what your plan is, what the steps are, what the conditions for the steps are, what is guaranteed and what is not guaranteed. And for damn sure what's the alternative in the event of a failure.

There is no Indigo Line without answering these questions in specific detail, with dates and commitments and all the itemized caveats. That is all people are asking for. No bullshit, no sales pitches. And definitely no inflammatory F.U.D. not even the Governor would take like, "Well, if you don't let us spend $200M it'll be easier for us to just not follow-through at all. Even though it wouldn't be hard to not follow-through if you did."

Just a matter-of-fact detailing of what, where, when, how...and why what/where/when/how means they're serious and can't back out this time. Somehow...for all their faults and all they had to get held to the fire...they were able to answer these questions for GLX. Let's see some growth and "reform before revenue" with some similar transparency here.

That's it. No blind trust, no blank checks. Show 'em how it'll be done.

Well, I don't think the risk of failure is all that high with Fairmount. The demand for high-frequency rail service on this corridor has been picked apart under an electron microscope for 40 years now. We've got a pretty solid handle on the fundamentals. Greenbush has had entire reports written about it on how many mistakes its scoping studies made and how much it relied on assumptions about cost and squishy degrees of wishful thinking on the projections. It literally is whitepaper fodder on how not to blow through a bunch of caution flags. We're not dealing with that risk here.

The risk is: do the powers that be truly understand the difference between an instant-impact project like GLX and a far-reaching, slow-growth project like Fairmount stimulating a route corridor that wasn't pre-existing. Because GLX's corridor was pre-existing; look at all the bus routes flanking it on both sides screaming to be consolidated. This is new as a corridor. The fundamentals are solid as a corridor because the corridor matches up perfectly with square-to-square travel that Boston is built around, and hits a lot more squares en route than the bus network does because of the street grid orientation. The grid kinda sucks in Dot and HP. Except for Blue Hill and HP Ave. it's too much E-W, not enough N-S even though the squares line up N-S. This punches through the N-S barrier that the bus routes can't.

But it's still a new corridor. And the ridership is going to stink for the first 5-8 years regardless of service levels. That's not a bug, it's a feature. Everybody knew that during the study. It's why it's a risk-managed build; it can get stepped up in notches and not have to slip 8 years behind schedule like GLX before Day 1 ever happens. What we don't know is whether the powers that be remember that this is what they signed off on. And that's why they have to detail out the implementation plan to the nines. It'll show that they remember and have full commitment to seeing it through its first decade. If instant gratification rules...yeah, of course everyone's going to be worried about the rug getting pulled out--or never laid in the first place--and be reluctant to try it out. There's nothing 'fixed route' about a route whose service could go away or turn back into a pumpkin. That's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

So is the F.U.D. that it takes a $200M vehicle purchase and 7 years to get on the property to *maybe* have some nice things that won't be taken away (except not guarantee either of those DMU's or no). That's every bit as much a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's worth noting that to include Readville in Zone 1A, Hyde Park Station would also need to be included in Zone 1A, as it is the next stop in on the Franklin/Providence/Stoughton Lines.

It's also worth noting that an exception was already made to include some of the other stations in Zone 1A despite being further out than your standard Zone 1A Stations. Readville is 9.2 track miles from South Station, via the Fairmount Line. Further from South Station than:

• Quincy Center (Zone 1)
  • Hyde Park (1)
  • Roslindale Village (1)
  • Bellevue (1)
  • Highland (1)
  • West Roxbury (1)
  • Newtonville (1)
  • West Newton (Zone 2!)

Making Readvillle Zone 1A necessitates having Hyde Park in Zone 1A. It also raises questions as to why the Roslindale and West Roxbury stations aren't Zone 1A (also city of Boston...closer to South Station), why Quincy Center isn't Zone 1A, and why the Newton stations aren't Zone 1A.

Some of the zones have been baked in for so long it's just legacy cruft. And northside vs. southside cruft. I mean, Indigo-Lynn just ain't freakin' happening with a jump from 1A at Chelsea to 2 at Riverworks. But how do you recalibrate that when Swampscott and Salem are both 3's residing inside of 128 and Beverly's a 4 sitting at 128? That's a reboot of the entire Newburyport/Rockport zone distribution and forfeiting some inside-Beverly revenue to make more inside-Lynn revenue. Are they brave enough to make that call, or is short-term thinking and this year's budget deficit going to rule the day?

The fare structure has implications for the whole CR system. And you can't just put Indigo on an entirely different set of fares and introduce new inequities. The Hyde Park NEC station example attests to that. Franklin Line trains stopping permanently at Readville (a few times a day on the Fairmount platform) attests to that. We've now got another 1A-to-2 jump between Readville and Endicott on the Franklin. It's transit-weird Dedham, so that one might slide...but can you imagine the howls in Newton if Indigo-Riverside doesn't bust down their Zone 2? That's why they have to answer the question for the whole system and not Fairmount in isolation. This stops being scalable if it only serendipitously keeps it within 1A on Fairmount. And 'unique' is a bad thing for keeping service levels a forever thing.

That's one big example of the importance of airing out the COMPLETE implementation plan. No making it up as they go along because micro-considerations not fitted to a framework end up being the undoing of it all if it's a make-it-up-as-they-go-along. It has to be dealt with as first item of business.

As for HP-proper station...it's not got much of a future as a regular-use station. Providence/Stoughton is the only line that hits it more often than not. Franklin's down to 1 inbound a day and 4 outbounds at HP. The 2nd platform at Ruggles is specifically designed to fill the large schedule gaps in Providence/Stoughton and Franklin that skip that stop. And new Pawtucket is going to be opening in the 2018-20 range. Who's the most likely drop on the most schedule slots if stuff has to be shifted around? More futuristically, South Coast FAIL would end all Stoughton stops inbound of Canton. And force Providence to pick up more Canton Jct. stops on the handful of runs per day that skip, because one SCR branch would never stop between Easton and Back Bay at peak.

The neighborhood would fight it tooth-and-nail, but honestly...if Fairmount becomes real they might as well just phase out HP entirely, and do a mini-diversion of the 32 and 33 to loop at Fairmount from Cleary Sq. before continuing on their journeys (I'll assume extending the 50 from a Cleary terminus is non-optional, like...now). Amtrak's going to be bulldozing the OB platform to re-lay Track 4. Is that a station they really want to be spending the money to rebuild with full-highs and 1 completely relocated platform when its schedules between now and 2030 basically drop to near-nothing in any scenario? Or is it just time to sunset it when the track work does its partial demo? Maybe this is what starts that process.

(But anchor the Cleary/HP buses to Fairmount first and pronto, please.)

As a person living near the terminus in Greenbush, I had to comment. I don't think Greenbush is a mistake, but it needs some serious service improvements.

Roundtrip is $18.50. Parking is $4.00 So, for two people to take the train on a Saturday, it's $41.00. I'm a HUGE train fan, but we can usually get parking in Boston on the weekend at a discounted rate and also make the trip into Boston at well less than an hour. Then, you have to deal with less than ideal schedules and the last train back to Scituate at either 10pm or 11pm on Saturday/Sunday. I think the limited schedule, the amount of time to get to South Station, and the fare..........all work against this line.

If a smaller capacity DMU service with increased schedules were to be implemented, I would even favor the train despite the higher cost and travel time. However at this time, this line has 3 things working against it. 1. High Cost vs. Driving/Parking 2. Longer travel time than driving 3. Limited Schedules

(It's like the MBTA wanted it to fail.) It's good if you have a job in Boston and are commuting during normal work hours, but as a Regional Suburban Rail option, it's less than stellar in my book. (......and I'm probably the biggest fan of using the MBTA when possible!)

Neither of us have jobs in Boston, so we are looking at the train for restaurants, plays, events in Boston.........and unfortunately it's usually not the greatest option for us.

As a person living near the terminus in Greenbush, I had to comment. I don't think Greenbush is a mistake, but it needs some serious service improvements.

Roundtrip is $18.50. Parking is $4.00 So, for two people to take the train on a Saturday, it's $41.00. I'm a HUGE train fan, but we can usually get parking in Boston on the weekend at a discounted rate and also make the trip into Boston at well less than an hour. Then, you have to deal with less than ideal schedules and the last train back to Scituate at either 10pm or 11pm on Saturday/Sunday. I think the limited schedule, the amount of time to get to South Station, and the fare..........all work against this line.

If a smaller capacity DMU service with increased schedules were to be implemented, I would even favor the train despite the higher cost and travel time. However at this time, this line has 3 things working against it. 1. High Cost vs. Driving/Parking 2. Longer travel time than driving 3. Limited Schedules

(It's like the MBTA wanted it to fail.) It's good if you have a job in Boston and are commuting during normal work hours, but as a Regional Suburban Rail option, it's less than stellar in my book. (......and I'm probably the biggest fan of using the MBTA when possible!)

Neither of us have jobs in Boston, so we are looking at the train for restaurants, plays, events in Boston.........and unfortunately it's usually not the greatest option for us.

THIS!! Fantastically stated Java.

At least with Fairmount, almost all of the line has the Zone 1A fare designation, so there's little need to compare ride cost with the subway...it's a valid option to consider (against the Ashmont branch), especially for those in Dorchester or outer Roxbury.

With Greenbush, as much as I'd love to take the Commuter Rail to S. Station (I'm very close to Weymouth Landing), parking & round trip would be $16.50. This is opposed to me hopping the 222 & transferring to the Red Line...with free/discounted transfers considered, I'm spending under $5 round-trip. Where's the incentive to even consider Greenbush travel??

I'd promote any Commuter Rail branch as something to consider, only "...if The Price is Right".

A

-- What is Keolis's statement about operating this service when they--and their predecessors--have had so much trouble operating bread-and-butter commuter rail on-time with good customer service? .

Keolis had this to say about DMUs in their proposal from last year:
http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/B...KEOLIS Operations and Management Proposal.pdf

Our assessment of the current situation:
The MBTA may introduce DMUs in the coming years.
Our Plan: We will deploy the same few fleet introduction process as detailed previously in this Plan to introduce new DMUs, With our considerable worldwide experience in operating both locomotive and coach train sets and DMUs, we understand accurately scope and the scale of the DMU introduction impact on MBTA operations. In particular, we will review and develop a plan to accommodate DMUs. We will include plans to upgrade the CRMF and SSSI tracks provided that the coach and locomotive shop will not be adapted to DMU maintenance. We will set a training plan for locomotive engineers, conductors, and mechanics. Our HR Department will review all collective bargaining agreements to ensure a smooth introduction. We will roster DMUs in concert with operations to incorporate smooth fueling in operations. At this stage, we have already identified the following expected impacts:
By employing a single/multiple unit concept, we could run shorter trains in midday periods, allowing us to cut trains in terminals after peak hour runs and having the house engineer move them to the maintenance facilities.
¯ As every vehicle is self-propelled, it could be moved by a house engineer only, so that yard switchers would no longer be required.
¯ Our Mechanical Department will convert carmen into machinists and electricians, since the FRA defines a DMU as a locomotive, and so it has to be maintained as one.
¯ Maintenance facilities will be reviewed to be adapted to DMU maintenance (locomotive and coach shops would not be adapted).
¯ We anticipate the impact on crew members would be low, and CBA’s renegotiation would not be a major issue.
Depending on the design of the DMIJs, we may have to fuel each individual vehicle on the train, instead of the locomotive only. If this was to be the case, we would qualify mechanics as yard engineers to move the trains while being fueled.
¯ We will train our locomotive engineers, conductors and mechanics as for any new equipment introduction. We will provide the MBTA with DMU maintenance costs per unit that will be added to the FFP, while the unit costs of the vehicles being retired will be deducted.

As a bonus, here are some FRA compliant, high-floor, knuckle coupler equipped, Nippon-Sharyo DMUs in action in Toronto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfAadtmuqas

Yes, that's lovely time-waster reading and a neato YouTube video. What does any of that statement have to do with Keolis's suitability to task for a service implementation plan for Fairmount Line quasi- rapid transit frequencies?

Nothing. It says nothing about implementation of a service plan and service frequencies. All it says is that they know how to operate and maintain a certain vehicle type, not how often they are capable of running it on a route. Vehicle type is not a question Dorchester and Hyde Park transit riders are asking about.

Yes, that's lovely time-waster reading and a neato YouTube video. What does any of that statement have to do with Keolis's suitability to task for a service implementation plan for Fairmount Line quasi- rapid transit frequencies?

Nothing. It says nothing about implementation of a service plan and service frequencies. All it says is that they know how to operate and maintain a certain vehicle type, not how often they are capable of running it on a route. Vehicle type is not a question Dorchester and Hyde Park transit riders are asking about.

The service plan is the MBTA's responsibility, not the contractors. If they have a plan for the vehicles and labor implications as requested by the authority, then they have done their part.

The KKO study from 2002 is still the basic play book the MBTA is following:
http://www.mbta.com/uploadedFiles/documents/ExecutiveSummaryFairmountOct02.pdf

So? The public wants to know what the service plan is TODAY going forward to full-blown service, and whether the T and its commuter rail contractor can meet the goals of that service plan. It's not the role of the contractor? The burning question of calendar year 2015 for all commuter rail riders is why the contractor isn't meeting service goals with the equipment they do have. And that's somehow not relevant to a commitment to Indigo or DMU implementation? Just try telling a public meeting in Dot or HP that and see how hostile their response is.

They can show the public all the 13-year-old study documents and fun facts about DMU technology they want. That answers absolutely no question that they are asking today.

How.
When.
What.
Where.
Why.

Everything that doesn't hit all 5 of those points of full-disclosure is a dodge of the questions those transit riders want answered now. There is no proceed to Step-anything until a full service implementation plan is detailed with complete transparency, dates, guarantees, and conditions for what does and does not happen if things don't work out or other crises intervene. There is no benefit of the doubt with anything less than that disclosure. Much less the trust in them to wisely spend $200M on the F.U.D. line "well, we'll be less likely to cut service if you let us spend that up-front...but we can't guarantee we won't cut it anyway".

It's all a non-answer and waste of their time without an implementation plan.

So? The public wants to know what the service plan is TODAY going forward to full-blown service, and whether the T and its commuter rail contractor can meet the goals of that service plan. It's not the role of the contractor? The burning question of calendar year 2015 for all commuter rail riders is why the contractor isn't meeting service goals with the equipment they do have. And that's somehow not relevant to a commitment to Indigo or DMU implementation? Just try telling a public meeting in Dot or HP that and see how hostile their response is.

They can show the public all the 13-year-old study documents and fun facts about DMU technology they want. That answers absolutely no question that they are asking today.

How.
When.
What.
Where.
Why.

Everything that doesn't hit all 5 of those points of full-disclosure is a dodge of the questions those transit riders want answered now. There is no proceed to Step-anything until a full service implementation plan is detailed with complete transparency, dates, guarantees, and conditions for what does and does not happen if things don't work out or other crises intervene. There is no benefit of the doubt with anything less than that disclosure. Much less the trust in them to wisely spend $200M on the F.U.D. line "well, we'll be less likely to cut service if you let us spend that up-front...but we can't guarantee we won't cut it anyway".

It's all a non-answer and waste of their time without an implementation plan.

That 13 year old study remains the cornerstone of all the capital investments that have been made in the line to date, the track, signals, bridges, rebuilt stations, and the four new stations all came from that document; The study resulted in the inclusion of the those improvements in the revised central artery transit mitigation requirements.The mitigation however only required that they be built and used, but did not dictate service levels.

The potential schedules with push-pull stock are pretty simple. 70 minutes cycle times mean 2 sets to run every 35, 3 sets to run every 25, 4 sets to run every 20, 5 sets to run every 15. South Station capacity is an issue for anything better than 20. DMUs might be able to get the cycle time down to 60 because of better acceleration/stopping, shorter dwell times with power doors, and less time for brake tests.

You can get promises for capital but it is much harder to get promises for operating standards. Changes in administration, reductions in funding, can have an impact and with the exception of some services operating as mitigation for consent decrees, its not illegal to cut service as long as you don't violate Title VI (you can cut Fairmount weekend service as long as you also cut Greenbush).

This again is why advocates for the service believe the DMUs to be so important. Its a another capital commitment (beyond the stations and infrastructure) which puts pressure on a commitment to run the service. The fact that DMUs may reduce the operating costs (less fuel, two-person crews, better acceleration/dwell times may allow for shorter cycle time) also could make it more practical for management to find the money to run the service.

A 13-year-old study says nothing to Dorchester and Hyde Park riders about their present commitment to implementing service.

A 13-year-old study says nothing to Dorchester and Hyde Park riders about their present timetable for implementing service. Dates. By year. Plotted on a calendar.

A 13-year-old study says nothing to Dorchester and Hyde Park riders about their present commitment to a permanent fixed fare structure and permanent fixed fare portability across the system. Nor does switching Readville to Zone 1A answer the crux of the most important questions that actually draw riders away from their buses, or questions about an Indigo service -specific fare policy vs. transient station-by-station zone assignments.

A 13-year-old study says nothing to Dorchester and Hyde Park riders about their present steps for a ramp-up in service. What the starter frequencies are. How many rungs of ramp-up there are before full-blown service is achieved.

A 13-year-old study says nothing to Dorchester and Hyde Park riders about their present conditions for triggering each successive ramp-up in service. What performance metrics must be met. Under what conditions of non-performance would the calendar date for the next ramp-up be postponed or deviated from.

A 13-year-old study says nothing to Dorchester and Hyde Park riders about the present risks for not meeting the implementation schedule. And what happens when that schedule is not meant. To answer this question, Dorchester and Hyde Park riders must be told what the intended implementation schedule is.

A 13-year-old study says nothing to Dorchester and Hyde Park riders about their commuter rail operator's present suitability to running reliable service. Nor does a 2-year-old blurb from their bid documents about the technical operations of a specific make of vehicle. Because the present #1 concern of riders system-wide is that Keolis has not met its performance goals, and the present concern of Dorchester and Hyde Park riders is getting answers on what happens if the operator struggles to meet its performance goals on Indigo. They want to know the contingencies. They want to know if their service is protected when other commuter rail lines have problems, or if they are going to be the first line to have its equipment and frequencies raided to prop up the rest of the system.

A 13-year-old study says nothing to Dorchester and Hyde Park riders about their present commitment to implementing service in a budget crisis. It says nothing about what happens to the service in the event of another short-term budget shock.

A 13-year-old study and a now-postponed vehicle purchase say nothing to Dorchester and Hyde Park riders about the permanence of their present commitment to implementing service. What service guarantees that delivery of a $200M+ vehicle purchase binds the T to on the Fairmount Line, or whether they are transiently re-assignable to any line. With or without implementation of a service plan. To whit. . .

Should bus service have been increased substantially in Somerville before making the full build commitment for GLX? No one can say the existing bus service is so fully saturated that light rail is the only option left to improve service. Buying 30 DMUs is very cheap compared to the cost of building a full blown light rail line despite the fact that existing bus ridership does not make the case for light rail.

My point is that doing it on the cheap without making a full commitment can be a double-edged sword. Easy to add the service, but also very easy to drop the service perhaps prematurely if the ridership doesn't appear as quick as anticipated.

So where does DMU purchase = present commitment to service implementation? Not in past-tense documents. Not in an implied conjecture of likely outcomes. That implied argument has already been substantially weakened by the Foxboro DMU proposal that siphons vehicles to the suburbs on conventional CR schedules while making no commitments to that being the option order or a drain off the Fairmount base order.

". . .without making a full commitment can be a double-edged sword."

Proof of present-day full commitment is what Dorchester and Hyde Park riders are asking for. Because they know what double-edged sword they're looking at. They want to know up-front what it means to them.

There is nothing they can glean in the present from 13-year-old study documents, DMU specs...any archived records. Archived records do not a present-day commitment make.

I won't belabor that point any longer because it can't be stated any more clearly than that and this is turning into a circular argument. If it doesn't directly and explicitly answer the how's, what's, when's, where's, and why's of the service implementation plan from today going forward, it is irrelevant background noise that does not answer the questions the transit riders on this corridor are asking. There has not been a direct answer to those riders. Archival documents and vehicle information are not a direct answer to those riders. At all. They've seen the summaries of the archival documents. They've seen the cool YouTube videos. Somebody has to go and give direct and specific answers to those riders on the implementation plan going forward. Until they give those direct and specific answers, there is no implementation plan. And no implementation plan gives no public justification for spending the money. Or, apparently, gubenatorial justification.

The 13 year old study called for a phased approach:
State of Good Repair Plus: Substantial improvements in station appearance, lighting, station amenities, station access and public information. No Changes in fares, schedules or station locations.
• Package One: State of Good Repair improvements plus four new passenger station:
Newmarket, Four Corners, Talbot, and Blue Hill Avenue.
• Package Two: Package One improvements plus: longer hours of service, weekend service, and improved off peak service frequencies.
• Package Three: Package Two improvements plus: improved peak service frequencies.
• Package Four: Package Three improvements plus: one additional station at Columbia
Road and fares comparable to MBTA rapid transit service.
• Package Five: Package Four improvements plus: a free transfer to the Red Line.

They have been gradually implementing these phases over the last 13 years, although a Columbia Rd station has fallen by the wayside. Let's remember that the original calls for DMUs did not come from MBTA management, they came from the community. The community sees the DMUs as proof of commitment to the service beyond just building the legally required stations. They know it is expensive to run conventional equipment on this type of service, they know that could doom the service. The MBTA only started to strongly embrace DMUs when the Patrick administration floated their 2024 proposal of DMUs all over the place. The focus should have remained on Fairmount first and then expansion elsewhere once proven on Fairmount

And the proposal for DMUs for Foxborough was primarily about getting a reduced price DMU maintenance facility on Kraft's land. The capacity constraints of South Station also dictate that any Foxborough service would have to be operated as an extension of Fairmount. Opposition from the town has probably killed this plan so it is moot now. However this was not going to dilute Fairmount service, it was going to give it its own maintenance facility instead of trying to make do with just existing facilities. To make a comparison to another MBTA mode, Route 39 uses articulated buses. The garage for the artics is Southampton St., not on the route. MBTA Route 16 Andrew-Forest Hills connects Southampton to Forest Hills. Some of the artics run a trip on Route 16 to get from the garage to the start of Route 39. Route 16 doesn't really need artics, but it costs nothing to run a few trips with them to get them from the garage to the route they are needed on. Service on Route 39 is not diluted by the artics also doing a few trips on Route 16. This is the type of scenario that was coming together for Foxborough DMU service. Build a DMU facility at Foxborough, run a few trips to Boston to position the equipment for Fairmount Line use (coupling together a couple of sets to reduce the moves required), use them primarily on Fairmount service otherwise. The proposal was to run the trains express from Foxborough to Readville, two DMU sets coupled together could handle the load of a few trips from one new station, no one was talking about replacing bi-level sets with DMUs. Seems like a win-win, Fairmount would have gotten a light maintenance facility for its DMUs, more appropriate the squeezing them into existing facilities, while Foxborough would have gotten some limited service.

There's a big difference between every-20-minutes vs 35 or 45-minute frequencies.

I get where you're coming from and the need for staging. And perhaps every-30-minutes is the place to start that.

But people aren't going to be attracted to service that runs in this weird pattern of occasionally 25, 35, 45, or 60 minutes (and whatever in between). They're just going to keep taking the bus that comes at shorter intervals, even if the overall trip is longer.

At some point we have to bite the bullet and make the leap to regular, predictable, frequent service levels. And yes, cost recovery is going to suck at first as people get used to it. But you will attract a totally new audience with that kind of service provision, vs the commuter rail schedule garbage that usually gets served up.

Yeah, I think F-Line's phasing proposal would work on some other lines, where station abutting communities are already tuned in to commuter rail as transit. But that's not the Fairmont corridor. In those neighborhoods, people are accustomed to high frequency buses. To switch to something else, it needs to be flexible enough schedule-wise to make people see the better corridor speed as a time saver (counting waiting time as part of the trip).

Back