Logan Airport Capital Projects

I remember that Ramada Inn! I never stayed there, but I think I had a drink at the lobby.

Is the new security checkpoint open now? It looked pretty complete when I was there a month ago. (Although the area around the new gates still felt really empty)

Apparently theres a covered walkway proposal displayed in logan today that would connect terminal E to the blue line station.

1697253966005.png

https://reddit.com/r/mbta/s/slON6EkjST

Ouch… I pity folks who would take the Blue Line and that connector to make a flight in Terminal B.
If it was actually built like that, it'd be about 1.25 miles via the shortest reasonable walking path to get to B Security. If there's some moving walkways or something in there that speed up that first half mile a bit, it might actually be a reasonably attractive option for a good chunk of the able-bodied even to go that far.

I'd certainly be likely to opt for it - I'll take a tolerable walk I know will be 20 minutes over playing shuttle bus roulette anytime - especially with the congestion that hits Logan's roadways often. While it's technically possible to walk now, in practice it's convoluted, not very safe, and certainly doesn't seem intended to actually be done.

Like plenty of other airports I would assume it would pretty clearly disclaim how far of a walk you're committing to for various terminals if you decide to go on foot.

The most important takeaway from this, as it relates to this thread, is that this is another sign that Massport will be pushing ahead with the second phase of the E expansion, and this illustrates why all 4 of the new gates in the first phase do no have two jet bridges. I do wonder with the large investment Delta has made in the expansion, if they will potentially run some domestic service on key markets (think Los Angeles which has D1) out of E to take advantage of the upcoming D1 lounge they're going to build over there?

If it was actually built like that, it'd be about 1.25 miles via the shortest reasonable walking path to get to B Security. If there's some moving walkways or something in there that speed up that first half mile a bit, it might actually be a reasonably attractive option for a good chunk of the able-bodied even to go that far.

I'd certainly be likely to opt for it - I'll take a tolerable walk I know will be 20 minutes over playing shuttle bus roulette anytime - especially with the congestion that hits Logan's roadways often. While it's technically possible to walk now, in practice it's convoluted, not very safe, and certainly doesn't seem intended to actually be done.

Like plenty of other airports I would assume it would pretty clearly disclaim how far of a walk you're committing to for various terminals if you decide to go on foot.

My guess is that they'd make a foot bridge with moving sidewalks like in the footbridge that spans from Terminal A to Terminal C. :)

Glory be... they actually posted the slides within 2 months after the meeting... https://www.massport.com/media/tdthz00s/website_september-board-meeting_09-21-23.pdf

- Looking at completion of all new B/C roadways before Thanksgiving (or at least before Christmas).
- Developer for D Street Housing selected, as we're discussing here https://archboston.com/community/threads/housing-on-d-street-massport-parcel-d4-seaport.6551/
- Lincoln Property Company (the Seaport Circle developer) can't find financing to build on spec and needs a 2-year extension, which I assume they got.
- In another slide deck, new CEO will be named next April.
- Terminal E is getting about $200M worth of renovations to the older sections of the building, including a new red canopy to match the red extension. Oddly, I believe E remains purple on all airport signage (B is red).

1698868842395.png

Glory be... they actually posted the slides within 2 months after the meeting... https://www.massport.com/media/tdthz00s/website_september-board-meeting_09-21-23.pdf

- Looking at completion of all new B/C roadways before Thanksgiving (or at least before Christmas).
- Developer for D Street Housing selected, as we're discussing here https://archboston.com/community/threads/housing-on-d-street-massport-parcel-d4-seaport.6551/
- Lincoln Property Company (the Seaport Circle developer) can't find financing to build on spec and needs a 2-year extension, which I assume they got.
- Terminal E is getting about $200M worth of renovations to the older sections of the building, including a new red canopy to match the red extension. Oddly, I believe E remains purple on all airport signage (B is red).

View attachment 44029
That would be a lot of wasted red paint when they could've just had a big purple terminal. In terms of accessibility, I think it would be an N
annoying detriment to swap B and E colors after all this time of the terminal color coding, and made more sense to just have a purple scheme.

As an odd idea, I think it would be a nice and unique design to have more color signification on terminals corresponding to the terminal logo's color.

Ouch… I pity folks who would take the Blue Line and that connector to make a flight in Terminal B.
I realize this is a few weeks old, but I'm just seeing it for the first time. I live in Eastie (near Maverick) and almost always walk to/from the terminal when I fly (which is fairly often). Most of the time it's A, but I also travel out of E pretty frequently too. If I'm flying out of E (or C), I'll walk up the Greenway, by the Airport station, and along Service Road to E and C. E is ~10 minutes of fairly easy walking from the Airport station. Taking a shuttle from the station takes a lot longer (especially at peak times), so I almost never do it and I highly recommend that anyone traveling light enough to walk just walk. But If I'm going to A (or B), I'll just walk straight down Maverick St., along a short stretch of the Harborwalk, and along short stretch of Hotel Drive. The walk to Terminal A/B is much more pleasant than the walk to C/E.

This is my long winded way of saying that even if someone today wanted to walk to Terminal A/B, the walk is a actually little more straightforward/pleasant from Maverick than Airport. It's probably slightly quicker from Airport (though not as much as Google Maps might lead you to believe), but it involves several crossings that aren't great. It is more protected from the elements if you enter the Hilton and use the walkways to/from the garages.

A protected connection between Terminal E and the Blue Line would speed things up a lot (assuming there are moving walkways), but we just need a damn people mover. Getting between terminals at Logan is a pain for the uninitiated and the shuttles being subject to all of the road traffic make them borderline unusable in some situations.

Yeah, they're usually very slow with releasing the board meeting slide decks. For some reason they skipped over the August 3rd meeting deck. We should be able to see the October 19th deck by January.

Looks like they're also proposing to expand the baggage claim area. Massport officially opened the E expansion, have they opened up the new security check point yet?

Yeah, they're usually very slow with releasing the board meeting slide decks. For some reason they skipped over the August 3rd meeting deck. We should be able to see the October 19th deck by January.

Looks like they're also proposing to expand the baggage claim area. Massport officially opened the E expansion, have they opened up the new security check point yet?
I was there on 10/14 and there were some people going through the new security area. Not sure if it was a test run or temporary overflow from the main security area but it didn't last long. They also weren't using any of the new scanning equipment.

I flew out of E earlier in October and it was staffed (lightly) and a few people were passing through but it looked like just crew and airport workers. I don't know if anyone else could use it. All passengers were still using the old checkpoint, including TSA Precheck. There was no obvious signage landside indicating who could use the new check point (or that it even existed). I actually wouldn't have known it was open at all except I was flying out of E15 and walked by as some crew was coming through.

Back