MBTA Buses & Infrastructure

1646698252133.png

Does this seriously mean that off-peak, buses will loop through Harvard Square twice? Something I haven't heard suggested a lot is boarding in upper busway, doing the standard common loop, and then expressing through the lower busway, which, y'know, avoids all that traffic in the square that's led to increased running times in the spring schedule.

View attachment 22037

Does this seriously mean that off-peak, buses will loop through Harvard Square twice? Something I haven't heard suggested a lot is boarding in upper busway, doing the standard common loop, and then expressing through the lower busway, which, y'know, avoids all that traffic in the square that's led to increased running times in the spring schedule.
Isn't that the current Sunday operation pattern?

If they projected say 80 a barrel for the next ten years, their analysis needs to be thrown out

Historically very high oil prices have not lasted very long. This isn't normal times though...

Historically very high oil prices have not lasted very long. This isn't normal times though...
If the involvement of the US and western Europe in this war becomes more direct (which it very well may), then our economy gets a lot more volatile, I would think.

For buses in need of replacement, the trackless trolleys looked just fine on my final ride before they are put out to pasture next week.

For buses in need of replacement, the trackless trolleys looked just fine on my final ride before they are put out to pasture next week.
They aren't anywhere close to replacement-age. Tracklesses last considerably longer than regular buses due to their simplified engines and much lighter weight-on-frame reducing wear. The TT generation before this one lasted 32 years in-service; these are only 17. And they're not ridden hard at all as a fleet within those 17 years because of the 73's and 72's long construction diesel-stitutions in recent years, and the 77A's downgrade to part-time on schedules.

I was wondering if anyone went out on the 71 or 73 today? I took my daughter and rode the 71 round trip from Harvard to Watertown Sq. It was insane the number of people on the sidewalks taking photos and video of the trolleybus. I did see the 73 in front of us have an issue with the overheads and blocked us as it was just before the switch for the 73 Belmont line. The driver went ahead and pulled the poles down and we were finally able to pass it. There were quite a few people just hopping on and off to have one last ride. I'm definitely glad I did it and I'm going to miss those buses for sure.

I was wondering if anyone went out on the 71 or 73 today? I took my daughter and rode the 71 round trip from Harvard to Watertown Sq. It was insane the number of people on the sidewalks taking photos and video of the trolleybus. I did see the 73 in front of us have an issue with the overheads and blocked us as it was just before the switch for the 73 Belmont line. The driver went ahead and pulled the poles down and we were finally able to pass it. There were quite a few people just hopping on and off to have one last ride. I'm definitely glad I did it and I'm going to miss those buses for sure.
I grew up with the Mass Ave trackless trollies, and remember prior to them when the trolley cars (with tracks) ran to North Cambridge, and before that when they ran to Arlington Heights. We seem to be devolving instead of evolving. Let's spend $6 or $7/gallon to run the new diesel buses. Hooray!

I remain optimistic that trolleybuses will rise again in Boston, even if not on routes 71 and 73.

I was onboard the last trackless trolley trips on 71 and 73 last night, with another 20 or so transit nerds. Here are some photos from that trip and also some on Friday:

Last outbound 71 at Harvard.
IMG_0038.JPG

Last outbound 73 at Harvard.
IMG_0056.JPG

Last inbound 71 at Watertown Terminal.
IMG_0077.JPG

The final trip - last inbound 73 at Star Market.
IMG_0094.JPG

Out of service for a final time, at North Cambridge.
IMG_0117.JPG

71 at Mt Auburn St.
IMG_9867.JPG

73 at Waverly, at sunset.
IMG_9886.JPG

Pulling out of lower busway.
IMG_9839.JPG

77A at upper busway. (Not the same trip)
IMG_9917.JPG

The wires...
IMG_9895.JPG

I have uploaded some additional photos on imgur. Reddit user u/Stevaavo has also written about the experience in this post.

I was onboard the last trackless trolley trips on 71 and 73 last night, with another 20 or so transit nerds. Here are some photos from that trip and also some on Friday:

Last outbound 71 at Harvard.
View attachment 22241

Last outbound 73 at Harvard.
View attachment 22242

Last inbound 71 at Watertown Terminal.
View attachment 22243

The final trip - last inbound 73 at Star Market.
View attachment 22244

Out of service for a final time, at North Cambridge.
View attachment 22245

71 at Mt Auburn St.
View attachment 22247

73 at Waverly, at sunset.
View attachment 22248

Pulling out of lower busway.
View attachment 22249

77A at upper busway. (Not the same trip)
View attachment 22246

The wires...
View attachment 22250

I have uploaded some additional photos on imgur. Reddit user u/Stevaavo has also written about the experience in this post.
Man, I used to take the 73 to Cushing Sq fairly regularly for a good long time. Miss those days (in general, but also it was fun to catch the 73 from Harvard)

This may have been posted back in January when the meeting happened, but Boston's proposal for Western Ave. is pretty radical. Full busway:

This is a good idea with parallel SFR - I might suggest working with National Development to punch a vehicular connection through to "T" Western into SFR just after the Smith Playground.

This is the best current way to resolve the Transit needs for this corridor and Arsenal. Then get bidirectional bus lanes on Western all the way to the river. Not much you can do on the Cambridge side, though.

Back