Misc. Boston Stadium Talk

TheRifleman

Banned
Reaction score
Kraft & the city of BOSTON should be hosting the 2012 Superbowl in the Seaport District on the upcoming year in BOSTON. Oh yeah I forgot we build the stadium up in hillbilly area which we will probably never have a superbowl in Foxbourgh.

Talk about NO VISION from City officials.
Instead we will have a bunch of Box buildings built. LOL

Re: Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

The stadium shit again? Didn't we just do that last week in the Fan Pier thread?

The stadium shit again? Didn't we just do that last week in the Fan Pier thread?

Sorry just riding the excitement of Superbowl Weekend. Boston's Energy level would be hitting the roof.

Boston really should be on another level compared to every city in the country. We had every opportunity.

Don't worry the Box buildings are coming. Maybe a couple Biotechs, or some CVS or Walmarts.

The 2014 Super Bowl will be in Nowhere, New Jersey, which is just as remote from NYC as Foxboro is from Boston.

If the new stadium is built near the old one, which I believe it is, it is far closer to Manhattan, than Foxborough is to Boston. I'd say it's equivalent would be Revere.

Isn't the super bowl next year in Indianapolis. I don't care where that stadium is, it will suck. And they had it in Detroit a few years back. they had it in jacksonville and had to bring in cruise ships for hotels. Dallas is in the middle of no where.

The stadium is only one day, it doesn't matter. The nfl only cared about weather. but w. nyc they are banking on people that want to see the game being willing to do so outside. I think its a good bet. Between its two convention centers, the dense walkable city, good restaurant and nightlife scene (yes, its not the best, but it will be infinitely better than the tgifridays party they have in Indy) Boston will actually be a good host for the game, and I bet they do host it by 2020. Then on game day everyone gets in their rented hummer limo and goes to foxboro after a week of parties and events downtown.

Lots of cities already have NFL stadiums ringed by acres of desolate paking lots adjacent to their downtowns, so I'm not sure how building that here would put Boston on a different level. I guess it's all worth to host the Stupid Bowl once every what, 15 or 20 years?

Super Bowls are almost always held in Sunbelt cities so that they don't have to deal with wintry weather, and seeing how things went in Dallas this year I'd be willing to bet that after the 2014 New York game it'll be back to Pasadena, Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, ect. for a very long time.

Super Bowls are almost always held in Sunbelt cities

No they aren't. See:

Detroit -Twice
Indy
Minneapolis

Isn't that more than 10% of every superbowl held in a cold weather climate?

My comment was really worth picking apart? OK.

--Indy hasn't happened yet. So that leaves three Super Bowls out of 45, which translates to 6.7%.
--Including Indy and the Meadowlands and it's five out of 48, which is 10.4%.

Point is the league doesn't like Super Bowls in colder climate cities thankyouverymuch.

I understand the passion, but an NFL stadium will never be built on the Seaport. Gillette is new. So what's the point of rehashing this old debate?

Superbowls are only held in southern stadiums unless a northern stadium is equipped with a retractable roof. Gillette will never host a Superbowl unless that criteria changes.

Meadowlands?

Meadowlands?

Okay on rare occasions. However the NFL normally favors certain teams and waives that policy. *cough cough meadowlands.

Not that I want to prolong this discussion but I was under the impression that the NFL has been using the Super Bowl as a bargaining chip for municipal funding for new stadiums. As in "If your city/state contributes x amount to this new stadium, we promise to hold the 20xx Super Bowl in your city!"

Isn't the super bowl next year in Indianapolis. I don't care where that stadium is, it will suck. And they had it in Detroit a few years back. they had it in jacksonville and had to bring in cruise ships for hotels. Dallas is in the middle of no where.

The stadium is only one day, it doesn't matter. The nfl only cared about weather. but w. nyc they are banking on people that want to see the game being willing to do so outside. I think its a good bet. Between its two convention centers, the dense walkable city, good restaurant and nightlife scene (yes, its not the best, but it will be infinitely better than the tgifridays party they have in Indy) Boston will actually be a good host for the game, and I bet they do host it by 2020. Then on game day everyone gets in their rented hummer limo and goes to foxboro after a week of parties and events downtown.

I think it's laughable that a city like Indy, which I find to be very boring and dreary, can host. While a fine city like San Diego, which would guarantee great weather and is in a great location, cannot.

The problem with a lot of cities, aside from weather, is the sprawl. I don't know if any of you have attended a SB, but I went to the game in Glendale and Houston and the space between events and fan areas was a pain the ass. If you don't rent a car, you are screwed and everything seemed to be a 25-45 min drive. That's the only good thing Indy has going for it, everything will be located in downtown and close in proximity.

I've seen stadium talk and more threads than I can remember. Any time we're discussing any Seaport project, we will turn to talking about a stadium... So, let's just do all that here...

Here's some suggestions, where Boston can benefit:

Also, why can't a football stadium go where Suffolk Downs is? In fact- is it possible to share?!

Wonderland. Okay, that's Revere, but Boston stands to benefit from close proximity and many would take the blue line.

A soccer/lacrosse stadium in the Seaport: because tailgating happens at football games, you kind of just "want" parking lots. So besides football, you could have a shared soccer/lacrosse facility, which would be smaller than a football stadium, and wouldn't really necessitate parking IMO.

And I have a couple more but don't have time now.

I'm interested to hear what people have to say about the following idea to bring a football stadium into an urban environment:

stadiumdraft.jpg

Essentially, it's a mixed-use entertainment-oriented development in which the stadium is propped up by 20-story buildings, with the underlying ground-level street grid intact under the stadium. The ground level of the buildings (both those facing the exterior and those on the interior) are geared towards retail, bars, and restaurants - think Patriots Place contained in several compact city blocks. The upper floors would be hotels and offices - maybe even luxury condos (laugh, yes, but considering people want to live in the Natick Mall, why wouldn't they want to live in a football stadium?) Most likely, each building would also need to include below grade parking. Each building would have an express elevator from street level directly into a different part of the stadium seating to access the game.

Edit: credit to "Pat" from 3D warehouse for the stadium model.

Last edited:
South Boston isn't appropriate for a football stadium. Yes, it'd get used by the Patriots' home games (plus applicable playoff games). Sure, there'd be concerts throughout the year. Indeed, if a stadium were built in the urban core, the Revolution probably would not get the soccer-specific stadium they need. That gives a grand total of about 30 uses a year (maybe 40). Given that the Revs only take in on average 10-15,000 a game; and given that with few exceptions, most football stadia require massive amounts of parking (as someone stated in another thread, cars and football are more closely associated than any other sport), a stadium would create a huge dead zone. The possibility of getting the Super Bowl once, maybe twice, in the next fifty to seventy-five years (maybe) doesn't justify that.

The Revolution need a soccer-specific stadium.

A soccer-specific stadium with a capacity of 20,000 would allow for a more intimate setting. Plus, a spot that is transit accessible will enable more ardent soccer fans (like the Brazilians in Cambridge and Somerville) to attend games. A smaller stadium would also allow for more energy. Even with 15,000 people, that means there's another 53,000 seats at Gilette sitting there, empty. Even if one recognizes that the Revs could never fill Gilette Stadium, it takes a psychological toll seeing all those empty seats and it drowns out a lot of the cheering.

The football stadium is already built. No point in crying over spilled milk. If you want to talk about a stadium, let's talk about the aforementioned Revs stadium. That has a fairly good shot at being built and it makes sense.

Back