MIT East Campus - Kendall Square Gateway | Cambridge

Building 5....

Boeing will lease 100,000 square feet in new Kendall Square building.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...re-building/toIqPRyYqyBUw06TCgZ6tN/story.html

By Tim Logan GLOBE STAFF AUGUST 01, 2018

One of the biggest names in aerospace is coming to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s front door.

Boeing Co. has agreed to lease about 100,000 square feet in a new office building MIT is planning next to the MBTA station on Main Street in Kendall Square. It will be the local home of the company’s newly purchased subsidiary, Aurora Flight Sciences — which develops technology for unmanned aircraft — and serve as a new Aerospace and Autonomy Center for the plane manufacturer.

Boeing will occupy about one-third of a 343,000-square-foot office building MIT has planned for the site..... It envisions a $2 billion “Kendall Square Initiative” as a new “gateway to campus, and a way to help researchers at the university connect with, and contribute to, companies nearby....

contd

So, the building on the right is the building in question? Are any of these new buildings in this MIT East Campus thread large enough to have their own thread? It's seriously confusing to keep track of which one's which.

So...is this:

- A facedectomy of the old brick building
- With a gigantic cantilevered truss built inside it
- And a new concrete low rise section beneath the truss on the back?

...because that's what it looks like, but its hard to tell because there's so much going on.

Kinda like Russia Wharf, but without the tall stilts?

Roughly speaking, yes. It’s a concrete framed building with a lot of solid steel in the lower floors. It has been interesting to watch from 3CC.

Looking forward to this tower, it kicks mediocrity hard in the butt.
A crime that Eastgate is coming down.

Funny. To me East Gate is probably a bit more attractive than the BU Law Tower which is getting a complete renovation to some moderate praise. Actually, I go far as to say East Gate is a nicer looking building than 2/3s of the high rises in Boston.

New Windows, Clean the concrete and a complete refurb and East Gate would be a fine tower once more.
800px-Eastgate%2C_MIT_-_IMG_8409.JPG

Agreed, plus every facade retrofit is just blue glass, so this would go from a unique building that needs a cleaning... to generic blue glass. Cant be doing that too much or the skyline will become a sea of blue.

Lol then look up and across the Charles at Boston, almost no change.

Yea, because Boston is mostly built up... unless you're proposing tearing down Beacon Hill, The Back Bay, or the North End... or filling in The Public Garden and Boston Common. There isn't much change because all of that is built out.

A more fair comparison would be Kendall vs. The Seaport.

Yea, because Boston is mostly built up... unless you're proposing tearing down Beacon Hill, The Back Bay, or the North End... or filling in The Public Garden and Boston Common. There isn't much change because all of that is built out.

A more fair comparison would be Kendall vs. The Seaport.

Theres plenty of space they just havent gotten to it yet. Im not proposing doing any of that, you dont need to, because theres plenty of space. Though tearing down the West End would be nice and I wouldnt complain but thats not happening either. Even in the same spot that that picture was taken from, now.. in 2018, you would have North Station tower, Td garden residential half way up, you can see the Converse building is done there but youd now have Lovejoy Wharf, then in a couple years youll have the garden garage tower, also the govt center garage towers will be visible in that shot. So thats just recently completed buildings, u/c, or proposed and its still a lot. Some day in the future you have those MASSIVE parking lots behind the garden that can get built up with room for like 5 towers, the west end can always use some touches/wrecking ball lol, that court house had a proposal for a tower in the court yard it was also proposed with a tower there initially and it could still have one added in the future. Then you have the jail, the associated lots, and a few more spots here n there scattered around.

So theres actually a lot happening in Boston from the angle that shot was taken. I wasnt saying not much changed to rip on Boston, because we all see its in the biggest boom in history. I was just saying it to point out that the timing of the shot didnt paint Boston in the light of whats really going on here and if you werent following development youd think not much had/is changing. It is though, a lot.

Last edited:
There is so much happening on Main Street all at once on such a bigger scale than anything that has been there before. When this burst of development is done we are going to walk down Main Street scratching our heads saying "what did this look like before, I can hardly remember."

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Kendall needs more bus service - stat! Upgraded capacity on the Red Line is going to be an essential element, but its not enough. We need much greater reliability and frequency from CT2 and the 64. We need real service to Lechmere and North Station.

Back