MIT East Campus - Kendall Square Gateway | Cambridge

I like it. It gives me vaguely sinister vibes, but in a nice way.

wuawxxq0iczn4bgawltm

Nice so we have a new tallest u/c in Cambridge, things are still full steam ahead.

I walk past this construction site daily.

The white 6-story building looks great. The big loft windows with dark mullions create a very appealing drama.

The copper heat sinks on the east building are very, very dark in person. My mind's eye has a very hard time reconciling what has been built so far with what has been rendered. I'll cross my fingers that it all comes together when the building is occupied and lit from the inside.

The tower on the west is looming large over Main Street, which is a rather narrow street. I believe the core has topped out and the steel is up to either 2nd or 3rd floor now. It is going to really dominate the block. When Google/MXDII goes up directly across the street it is going to create a very snug feeling in the area.

...The white 6-story building looks great. The big loft windows with dark mullions create a very appealing drama...

Indeed; it's impressive how much they invested in restoring/improving that building (given that it was seemingly mundane in its previous state):
They blasted out the entire first floor slab and lowered the first floor ~3 feet to make it level with sidewalk grade and extended the windows down. Previously that building only had one narrow single front door, and neck-height concrete walls that effectively walled off any sort of sidewalk presence. Now, this building will engage with passersby.

Also, given it is in an absolutely front-and-center location in Kendall, it shows a commitment to preserving some of Kendall's industrial-era history. The building, pre-renovation, contributed to the fabric of Kendall, but I am guessing they probably could have gotten away with demolishing it based on the fact that it was not that old, and was not hugely significant architecturally. But it was/is definitely part of the fabric of Kendall, and I'm so glad they kept it. Related Beal, working on the destruction of Kenmore Square, should take note here!

Apple gets one floor (25k ft), up from 11k at One Broadway.
Capital One gets 3 floors (75k ft).
Boeing was already announced for 4 floors (100k ft).
MIT Museum gets bottom 3 floors.

Still 5 floors left available.

I walk past this construction site daily.
The tower on the west is looming large over Main Street, which is a rather narrow street. I believe the core has topped out and the steel is up to either 2nd or 3rd floor now. It is going to really dominate the block. When Google/MXDII goes up directly across the street it is going to create a very snug feeling in the area.

Perhaps these leases are why construction's been moving so quickly?

In any case, Boeing - Apple - Capital One is a pretty impressive tenant lineup for one building.

This thing going 380' gives the perfect impression of what Tremont Crossing's main tower

could have, and should have been.

Back