Parcel BB (Surface Road between Broad Street and India Street)

PaulC

Reaction score
The turnpike authority has issued a request for proposals for a small greenway parcel. Can anyone think of a better name for this thread?

Pursuant to M.G.L. Chapter 81A, the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority ("MassPike") is seeking bids for the sale of Parcel BB (the "Parcel"), a parcel of land comprising approximately 2,135 square feet (subject to final adjustments), and located on Surface Road between Broad Street and India Street, across Surface Road from the Rose Kennedy Greenway. The Parcel is currently vacant.

As provided in the IFB and subject to the reservations and conditions therein, the sale of the Parcel shall be awarded to the bidder who is the highest responsible bidder. Sealed bids for the Parcel are due by 12:00 noon (local time) on Thursday, March 5, 2009 at MassPike's offices, at: Ten Park Plaza, Suite 4160; Boston, MA 02116. Bids will be opened publicly at MassPike's offices at 1:00 p.m. (local time) on that date.

MassPike reserves the right to suspend, withdraw, or amend the IFB for any reason at any time and reserves the right to reject any or all bids or to readvertise for bids.

All pertinent information relative to the terms and conditions of the sale of the Parcel, including the deposits required to be submitted with the bids, is contained or addressed in the IFB. Interested parties may obtain a copy of the IFB by e-mailing a request or by submitting a written request to:

Planning and Development
Massachusetts Turnpike Authority
Ten Park Plaza, Suite 4160
Boston, MA 02116
attn: Parcel BB IFB request
http://www.masspike.com/business/parcelbb.html

Really? We're still calling it "Surface Road"? Even "Surface Artery" would be better.

What happened to The Greenway as a name for both of the bordering streets, echoing The Fenway, The Riverway, etc?

Really should be Fitzgerald Boulevard -- the City tries to hide the Fitzgerald naming, with huge SURFACE Road signs (and fine print John F. Fitzgerald).

Surface Road is a really dumb name!

Is this what they're talking about? I always get confused.

parcelbb.jpg

Why not make it parking for the Panera that's right there! ...ha ha

Whoever designs for this space should consider something seasonal. It's getting ridiculous. When the weather's bad, the answer's simple ... just stay in! I always find myself strolling the Pru or Coply whenever it's bad outside.

So this plot is the parking lot bounded by Surface, India, Franklin and Well Street, correct?

That whole stretch - from Broad to State - is absolutely begging for a coherent streetwall. But I fear all the lowrise historic structures in the area (planted at differing lengths from the road) will prevent such a thing from materializing. Really, the whole "west wall" here needs to rise to 10-15 stories in order to create the proper feeling of enclosure.

I keep forgetting how huge those sidewalks are. So unnecessary.

The link above has a map. That parking lot must be privately owned.

Before Folio was built there was a proposed residential building for that parking lot. It was featured in many of the renderings and site plans for the Greenway. I have not idea where that project went, and this appears to be a reboot.

I've stared at that plot a time or two... I'm usually pro height everything, but I think a 5 story building that blends in as much as possible these days would do this parcel justice.

I've stared at that plot a time or two... I'm usually pro height everything, but I think a 5 story building that blends in as much as possible these days would do this parcel justice.

Everyother day of the week I'd agree but everything about this plot to me screams tower; something tall and thin.

It is a site that just demands a tall, slim, sleek tower. no megablocks. It would be fine.
I walked the greenway the other day. haymarket, aquarium and this could be towers and I would be happy with it. The greenway does nothing. Surround it with people and it will be used and enjoyed. Shadows don't matter in winter when its zero and when its 90 in summer everyone will run to it. BUILD. But again, no hopes for anything here. It's just not in Boston's DNA

It's a really a very small parcel... can't see it happening in Boston

I keep forgetting how huge those sidewalks are. So unnecessary.

How is that? Sidewalks are never unnecessary, especially if we're going to keep calling ourselves America's Walking City.

He's saying HUGE sidewalks in this area are unnecessary, which is completely true.

Those sidewalks aren't too huge. Maybe I just think they look smaller because it's Google Earth. Are they really exceedingly larger than other sidewalks in Boston?

Back