Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Kinda hidden since so much construction around India st,
But they've started working on the retail area on the ocean
Gateway garage. Been dirt floor forever

This is good development for Portland, the 16 story bldg., but for Portland to grow more, or more significantly, it needs a much bigger University and a more welcoming attitude to business other than the ones that cater to tourism. A HUGE opportunity now, only a short train ride from Boston, which, in the not too distant future will become one of the most important cities in the world (if you look at the business that is moving there). Currently, there is no place for higher learning for biotech and business (worth attending, anyway) in Portland. Tourism does not do too well in a recession (cyclical and unavoidable).

This is good development for Portland, the 16 story bldg., but for Portland to grow more, or more significantly, it needs a much bigger University and a more welcoming attitude to business other than the ones that cater to tourism. A HUGE opportunity now, only a short train ride from Boston, which, in the not too distant future will become one of the most important cities in the world (if you look at the business that is moving there). Currently, there is no place for higher learning for biotech and business (worth attending, anyway) in Portland. Tourism does not do too well in a recession (cyclical and unavoidable).

I do worry that Portland is relying too much on a tourist economy. Although that has been slowly changing in recent years.

A few national magazines recently ran an article titled "Why Portland, Maine is the next tech hotspot" highlighting the fairly vibrant startup and entrepreneurial scene in Portland.

https://www.americaninno.com/boston/wex-exec-on-why-portland-maine-is-hot-spot-for-tech-companies/

Right now Portland is the hottest city in New England outside of Boston, and it's a city getting national (and even global) attention for its urban environment, culture, and quality of life. There's no question that people want to live here, but we can't have a solid economy built on craft beer and selling decorative shells to cruise ship tourists.
Portland (and Maine as a whole) can definitely do more to develop a high-tech economy. Every day I drive past the "Portland Technology park" which sat totally undeveloped for 3 years before finally getting its first tenant....an insurance company...hardly "high tech"

The entire Portland metro region can definitely benefit from "Boston overflow" in much the same way that the Portsmouth and Manchester areas do. The question is, what are we lacking to develop that sector?

My worst fear is seeing Portland turn into Old Orchard Beach. A city that only exists from May to October.

^ My guess is that it's the parcel across the street from "Luminato," corner of Franklin and Federal Streets. They requested a small zoning map amendment earlier this summer for that project:
http://www.portlandmaine.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=2688

They also bought a small sliver of land in the Franklin Street R.O.W. from the city for this project. The zone change, with the Franklin Street frontage, will allow them to build up to 7 stories high.

Looks like the new WEX offices are heading to the planning board sometime in September, with a hopeful groundbreaking sometime this fall.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/08/30/wex-looking-forward-to-new-headquarters-in-portland/

Now that the Portland City Council has approved a deal that allows Wex Inc. to relocate its headquarters from South Portland to the Portland waterfront, the company hopes to break ground on the project this year and begin transferring employees to the new location in early 2019.

But before its plans can be finalized, Wex must complete negotiations with the developer who will build its headquarters, Jonathan Cohen of 0 Hancock Street LLC, and await Portland Planning Board approval for the project, company executives said.

Not technically Portland, but the major development of the eastern side of Saco Island is starting to take shape. Preliminary plans and renderings were shown at a recent public meeting.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/07/...tel-and-restaurant-for-maine-island-property/

The development team interested in developing the east side of Saco Island hopes to begin construction in 2018.

This was one of the pieces of information shared at a public meeting held Tuesday at Thornton Academy by developer Bernie Saulnier and his associates....
Architect Katherine Detmer with Archetype Architects gave an overview of the proposed project at Tuesday’s meeting. The plan includes development of 80 to 90 residential units, 60 to 70 boutique hotel units, a restaurant and a marina.

The proposed residential space will be six to seven floors high, with the first level being parking. The proposal calls for about two parking spaces per residential unit.

Not technically Portland, but the major development of the eastern side of Saco Island is starting to take shape. Preliminary plans and renderings were shown at a recent public meeting.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/07/...tel-and-restaurant-for-maine-island-property/

Note that many of the apartments being rented in the renovated mill buildings directly across the street from this proposed development are going to UNE grad students. UNE, the Biddeford campus, is becoming a rather large and significant University now. A massive, new student center opens in December. There's nothing close to it in Maine, and college students today demand those amenities. (they also have a football program starting up this fall) So this area along with the train station and its easy access to Boston is why this is a good investment. (and Eventide has a processing facility near here with take out!)

Note that many of the apartments being rented in the renovated mill buildings directly across the street from this proposed development are going to UNE grad students. UNE, the Biddeford campus, is becoming a rather large and significant University now. A massive, new student center opens in December. There's nothing close to it in Maine, and college students today demand those amenities. (they also have a football program starting up this fall) So this area along with the train station and its easy access to Boston is why this is a good investment. (and Eventide has a processing facility near here with take out!)

Not to further derail, but Colby College is not to be outdone with a $100+ million athletic complex being constructed on campus which will include Maine's only Olympic size swimming pool. Also Colby is building a huge $25+ million dorm/retail complex in downtown Waterville then will build a new boutique hotel down the street. Also numerous other buildings being renovated one of which will house new hi-tech company founded by Colby alum. It's crazy right now in the Elm City!

http://www.colby.edu/downtown/

Few recent shots from the happenin' India Street Area:

UEgY7Co.jpg

h792YZB.jpg

AC Hotel/Marriott
frec66K.jpg

o3DytO9.jpg

58 Fore
u4wY7Q7.jpg

Luminato
5OQnQcF.jpg

16 Middle
25z6iyU.jpg

After looking at some plans I downloaded, the Luminato from my estimation is just under 100 tall (and looks like it in those photos). Thanks for the update Corey!

I recently happened across the West End News website and was reading a series on the history of Bayside (pretty interesting stuff) and learned for the first time about a 1965 proposal for a 15-floor apartment building pretty much right where the 16-story building alluded to above is being proposed (Shepley, Oak and Casco).

Bayside-Postward-Blues-Office-Tower-Never-Built.jpg

Interesting find Max! The retaining wall is still there and I wonder why the project never materialized. This would have been 4 years prior to the completion of Franklin Towers.

Promotional signage is also up for 20 Thames St. as well as the adjoining office building on Fore St.

I don't know whether those two buildings will be built simultaneously, or when they intend to break ground, but I can't imagine that guests at the new AC hotel will be particularly pleased about the construction going on a few feet from their window :p :p

Promotional signage is also up for 20 Thames St. as well as the adjoining office building on Fore St.

I don't know whether those two buildings will be built simultaneously, or when they intend to break ground, but I can't imagine that guests at the new AC hotel will be particularly pleased about the construction going on a few feet from their window :p :p
20 Thames Street is scheduled to start construction this month and to be completed in 12 months. Just up the street at the corner of Middle and India Street is a 5 story building (cPort Credit Union will be on the bottom 2 floors) which is also scheduled to break ground this Fall.

20 Thames Street is scheduled to start construction this month and to be completed in 12 months. Just up the street at the corner of Middle and India Street is a 5 story building (cPort Credit Union will be on the bottom 2 floors) which is also scheduled to break ground this Fall.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll update Emporis once they get going. I will also upload Cumberland Manor later on this evening for submission also.

https://www.emporis.com/city/101732/portland-me-usa

Interesting find Max! The retaining wall is still there and I wonder why the project never materialized. This would have been 4 years prior to the completion of Franklin Towers.

Is it possible that it was a PHA project and they built Franklin Towers instead? I notice the similarities between that drawing and FT, plus "Cumberland Manor" doesn't really sound like a for-profit apartment building.

^ You may be correct. Think I would have preferred the design of Cumberland Manor over what Franklin Towers eventually turned out to be!

Back