Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Rendering of the Elm Terrace project on High Street in today's PPH article, the existing structure is to the right and the addition is on the left:

portland-press-herald_3599516.jpg

I know this sounds terrible but I'm a big fan of mixing in chain stores, even in a boutique downtown like ours. I hate the subways and cheap looking dunkin donuts but like the step up ones like Starbucks, Five Guys, Urban Outfitters, etc. We don't need a Gap or mcdonald's on Exchange street but key chains at various spots is good for attracting business and it also shows if the city is valued enough to have one there.

The mere time and money Urban Outfitters put into that spot shows us and hopefully tourists what they think of Portland and our economy.

Projects would transform 'key gateway' to Portland's Arts District
By Randy Billings
E-mail and share
Dec 13, 2011 9:50 am
Photo: Randy Billings / The Forecaster
Congress Square, and the high-traffic intersection of Congress and High streets in Portland, are poised for a major transformation.

Buy a Print
PORTLAND — On a recent Friday afternoon, only pigeons and a few weathered men occupied Congress Square, a stone-paved public park adjacent to the Eastland Park Hotel.

Another man leaned behind an electrical box to urinate. Pedestrians walked briskly around the area, rather than cutting through the park, which would require them to go down some stairs and back up to the sidewalk.

For Melissa Rivera, who owns Lalo, an eclectic boutique of Maine-made art, accessories and clothing on High Street, it was just another day at the park.

"It definitely needs improvement," the 34-year-old Rivera said as she looked across the street at the square. "There is so much homelessness, mental illness and indecency."

If the Eastland Hotel has its way, most of the square would be developed into a ballroom. It's one of two projects at the Congress and High street intersection that could potentially remake "a key gateway" of the arts district.

Across the intersection, the Schwartz Building at 600-604 Congress St. has been in disrepair for more than a year. Despite several delays, the development team that owns the building says it's getting closer to resuming work on the property. A city committee will take up the plan in January.

The ballroom proposal by Rockbridge Capital, which owns the Eastland, caused a task force that studied ways to improve the square to reconsider its recommendation that the city seek bids to improve the park as a public open space.

The ballroom would be part of an estimated $35 million renovation of the 241-room hotel.

The park keeps the Police Department busy. This year, police have been called about 100 times, most often for complaints about drinking in public and pedestrian checks.

The task force encouraged the city to consider the Eastland's proposal, which would take up most of the park. That proposal still needs to be reviewed by the City Council's Community Development Committee, which next meets in January.

Last week, however, the Creative Portland Corp. met with City Hall staff in an effort to have a strong voice in any redevelopment project.

The non-profit group founded in 2008 to find ways to improve the creative economy and the Arts District said the project would have a ripple effect on the creative economy.

"It's very much a prime spot in the arts district," said Andrew Graham, president of Creative Portland's board of directors.

The group asked whether the Eastland proposal would be the highest and best use of the land. Several members said without a formal request for development proposals, the city would never know what other development ideas are out there.

"We don't know what else could be," Graham said.

City Planner Alex Jeagerman said the city would be a "forceful negotiator" regarding the design of any development, if the City Council approves of the use.

Jaegerman said the Eastland's owners have been receptive to the city's suggestions. They originally wanted to build a single-story building, he said, but city officials pressed for a three-story structure with associated art uses.

Jaegerman said the developers are even considering building a green roof that would be open to the public.

Other creative ideas floated by committee members include building the ballroom underground, with windows allowing daylight to filter in, as well as having Eastland employees operate a centralized ticket concierge service for local events.

Board member Arthur Fink said the group should have a "strong voice" in any plans for the square, and Graham said the arts community should receive benefits beyond additional gallery space.

Graham said Creative Portland gets its funding through tax increment financing in the arts district, giving the group a real stake in the outcome.

City Councilor David Marshall, who serves on both the task force and the Creative Portland board, said the task force did not take lightly its recommendation to pursue the Eastland's proposal.

Marshall said he expectsd the plan to go through a robust public process, and Creative Portland has a key role to play.

Board member David Wade also questioned the fate of a mural on the outside of the Eastland. Even if the mural is privately owned by the Eastland, it has value as public art, he said.

"The mural that is there is in somewhat disrepair, but it has a history," Wade said. "That is a piece of public art in terms of what the public appreciates. If it's going to be eliminated it should be in a sense replaced as a continuum of art in the public sphere."

It's not the only piece of history in the square, which is also home to the iconic clock that once stood high above Union Station, before the train station was torn down 50 years ago.

Schwartz Building
Across the Congress-and-High intersection from Congress Square Park, developers are still moving forward on renovations to the 1920s Schwartz Building at 600-604 Congress St.

Activity has largely been on hold since the ground floor exterior was demolished in October 2010.

The project is expected to convert about 20 studio apartments, which did not meet minimum standards set by the city, into 12 more up-to-date, spacious apartments. It may also include a first-floor restaurant.

The project will not trigger the city's housing replacement ordinance, since it would preserve the total residential square footage.

Attorney Paul Bulger, who represents the building's owner, Geoffrey Rice, said the delays have been caused by Rice's interest in getting state and federal historic tax credits for the renovations.

That means the renovations must comply with strict historical standards, Bulger said.

Deb Andrews, the city's historic preservation manager, said the Maine Historic Preservation Commission has signed off on the repairs. She expects the National Parks Service to soon give its OK, too.

That should clear the way for proposed facade improvements to go before the city's Historic Preservation Board on Jan. 4. If approved, work could begin as soon as Rice is ready.

"It's a key corner – a ket gateway – into the city," Andrews said.

Bulger said another cause for the delay is upgrading power to the site. It would have cost nearly $400,000 to connect to the Congress Street network, which he said was too expensive.

Instead, power will be brought into the building from Park Street, Bulger said. But since it took time to work out easements with property owners, that work will not begin until the spring.

Bulger said Rice is excited about the redevelopment, but he is being patient and deliberate with his actions. The project continues to move forward, he said.

"We'll get there," Bulger said. "We're excited about it."

For shop-owner Rivera, the transformation of the Congress Square intersection cannot come soon enough. She said both projects will change the "look and feel" of the area.

"The more storefronts you have, the less (problems) you would have," she said.

Randy Billings can be reached at 781-3661 ext. 100 or rbillings@theforecaster.net. Follow him on Twitter: @randybillings

*****An article regarding Congress Sq and the two Projects that could potentially change the area. The article appeared in today's Forecaster

Responded Patrick. My apologies if anybody has messaged me and I didn't respond. Didn't even notice message center.

I'm impressed with the parties involved in the redesign of Congress Square. I am confident that we won't end up with a new "dead zone" or blank wall in place of the current plaza.

I think improving the flow of traffic (I know, it's amazing to hear that from a car-free advocate) would also be beneficial for cars, pedestrians, and bicyclists passing through Congress Square. I think traffic coming up High Street should be slowed down a lot and traffic turning onto Free Street shouldn't have a separate merge lane onto Free Street. I've linked to this before and still stand by it, Cneal's post in 2008 on his Rights Of Way blog about greatly decreasing the size of that slip lane onto Free Street. Also, the traffic on Congress turning left onto High Street is always a tricky situation, because they only get like 5 seconds of green arrow and have to fight with pedestrians. Making this an easier and more inviting intersection to cross will help continue the westward expansion of the Congress Street arts district.

Hello Everybody,
I've been putting together a little slideshow for carfreemaine.org of Maine development highlights for 2011 and another for projects in the pipeline for 2012. Its amazing how much has actually been accomplished this year! I guess its always good to stop and reflect in the midst of the usual back and forth but this year seems extraordinary considering the economic circumstances.
Anyway, I was wondering if folks have some nominations for most exciting development of 2011? Perhaps also the most promising plans for 2012? Pictures, visuals, renderings ( Corey?, Patrick?) would be much appreciated and credited of course!

Thank You and looking forward to your thoughts,
Andrew Jawitz
carfreemaine.org

Hello Everybody,
I've been putting together a little slideshow for carfreemaine.org of Maine development highlights for 2011 and another for projects in the pipeline for 2012. Its amazing how much has actually been accomplished this year! I guess its always good to stop and reflect in the midst of the usual back and forth but this year seems extraordinary considering the economic circumstances.
Anyway, I was wondering if folks have some nominations for most exciting development of 2011? Perhaps also the most promising plans for 2012? Pictures, visuals, renderings ( Corey?, Patrick?) would be much appreciated and credited of course!

Thank You and looking forward to your thoughts,
Andrew Jawitz
carfreemaine.org

Are you talking just Portland? Urban?? Completion in 2011???

My nomination is the Portland Jetport expansion (even though there are aspects that I was disappointed with).

On-going.......Maine General Hospital in Augusta (2014) and the new Bangor Arena (2013).

I'm sure that Corey and/or Patrick will fill you in on all of the completed and on-going projects in Portland.

I applaud the jetport expansion as well. In terms of housing, I think Avesta's investment on Oak Street is really a positive development. No better way to be "car free" than to be in the middle of things, within walking distance of daily necessities. In terms of other commercial real estate developments, I'd say the Maritime Landing project, in the pipeline for 2012, will probably be the largest development the city has ever seen, and will consist of substantial new inner city housing units, atop retail, all within walking distance of daily necessities, again. That project will be roughly the size of the Maine Mall, but vertical instead of spread out. The one shortcoming for your purposes? The series of high rises will be built upon a foundation of major parking garages. The upside? Those garages will be wrapped in retail components, hidden from view, and will abut walking trails. Their existence doesn't imply their necessity. Also, the Franklin Reclamation Authority's designs are gearing up for some additional technical/feasibility studies this year, and should dramatically change the need to have a car for Portlanders who would like to bike or walk up that street to the Old Port, Hill, or Downtown CBD. Also, the Amtrak Expansion...Red Claws arena, etc.

One word of caution. If Car Free Maine is a commercial pursuit, beware of using any visuals in the renderings thread for promotional or commercial purposes, because you can easily get slapped with a copyright suit for at least $750 per image if you use them without permission. Alternatively, to avoid liability, just ask the people who own the photos. Just wanted to call your attention to this potential pitfall because people get sued (successfully) for this sort of thing often.

Thank you for the advice Patrick,
Coming out of the film/video world, I am all to aware of how something seemingly simple can be the ultimate undoing of a project. In the case of "CarFree Maine" I have been very careful to separate information/educational media from any promotional/commercial venture that may arise. The slideshow I am talking about is just meant as a blog post and probably won't mention CarFree Maine at all other than on the end credits. You'll notice on my other media I've posted, I've always clearly cited quotations and images clearly and provided the URL on the page. I generally put a non-commercial sharealike license on anything I post anyway.
You bring up an interesting question however, and I think it relates to some of the issues discussed in this thread. Where do you draw the line between "pubic" "nonprofit" and "private" sectors in a world where grey areas between them are blurring every day? This is actually a major issue i've been having with CFM because there are areas in the initiative (involving mobile apps and CarFree tourism) that may have profit-making potential and others (regional planning, civic engagement platforms etc) that involve issues normally covered by public agencies or non-profits.
New organizations like "Code for America", "OpenPlans" and "Civic Commons" have been using the term "Civic Startups" to fit the new space that seems to be developing between innovative networking technologies and inertia of current public management. The concept of "public-private partnerships" is nothing new to the world of planning and development, but the idea of a "civic apps" store may be something to keep an eye out for in 2012!
In short, I should've been a little clearer in my earlier post. Obviously, this thread has any number of images I can take if I want, but I wanted to ask permission of the poster first. Especially in the case of Corey, as his images are created by him alone.
So as an addendum- I am asking which developments people would nominate as being the most significant of 2011 and the most promising for 2012. IF they should have images to accompany them I am asking permission to use them in a NON-commercial post or to provide information about where to contact the original source...
Oh and I have mostly been interested in Greater Portland/Mid-Coast region because thats where I live, but that doesn't mean others need to obide by those rules.

Hey Union Station, feel free to use any of my images for your project. Credit back to my site would great too if possible.

My favorite project is probably Oak Street Lofts, which is no surprise. The reasons that Patrick mentioned above pretty much sum up my thoughts. It won't be officially completed until January, but I'd include it with the 2011 projects. The Jetport Expansion and Hampton Inn have been positive additions, too.

Here's some photos from today of the work starting on Pearl Place Phase 2 in Bayside:

december2011portlandmai.jpg

I was out this morning in the freezing rain, managed to make it home without falling. Brick sidewalks look good but are deathtraps in the winter. Veterans Bridge:

Thanks for sharing Corey, progress looks to be making some tracks.

HEre's the cover of something I'm working on putting together for communities in Maine and eventually the nation in a modified format. It will discuss current and hot topics in city planning and design regulation.

law.png

This is a good article from Portland Sun regarding a west end development site.
I can see why this is in high demand by developers, and would like to see a mixed use structure of seven stories, which the current zoning allows.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Once a blight, property now seen as prime development site
By Casey Conley
Jan 07, 2012 12:00 am
For nearly a decade, the house at 189 Brackett St. sat vacant, the roof and walls always seeming just a day or two away from collapsing inward.

In that time, neighborhood residents came to view the home as a potentially dangerous eyesore, and a magnet for feral cats.

But after a long battle with the city, property owner Merle Clarke finally got approval last month to tear down the 172-year-old house. He said crews started on a Saturday in mid-December and had the hole filled and the debris gone by midweek.

Three weeks later, the house is ancient history, and the house lot and an adjacent parking area at the intersection of Pine and Brackett streets is now being marketed as one of the finest development tracts on the West End.

"I have two people interested in it right now," said Jay Sparrow, owner of Remax/Allied commercial brokers. "It's been under contract for two months, but they are having difficulty getting bank financing because banks are very hesitant to do these commercial ventures unless your last name is Rockefeller."

A half-dozen developers have expressed interest in the site, he said, mainly because of its high-traffic location and zoning, which allows for up to seven floors and a mix of housing and commercial uses. "It's kind of unique, and it's really build-able," Sparrow said.

Nonprofit developer Avesta Housing is among the firms that have expressed interest in the site, Clarke said, adding that the two sides appear to be worlds apart on price.

The roughly six-tenths-acre parcel, which is combined with two adjacent ones on Pine Street, are listed for $425,000.

Regardless of who buys the land, Clarke says he won't shed any tears when he signs it over. "I'd just like to walk away from it," he says.

Clarke bought the house in 2005 for $137,000, with the sole intention of tearing it down to expand the adjacent parking lots he already owned. But that plan was foiled after city inspectors determined the house had historic value and could be salvaged.

"I went in the building once and I thought I was going to fall through the first floor into the basement. I haven't been in since," said Clarke, who called his purchase of the house "one of the worst investments" he's ever made.

Clarke owns several properties in Portland, and including apartment buildings he renovated and now rents out. He gave his age as "retired."

Over the years, he says he's repeatedly tried to convince the city to let him tear down the house at 189 Brackett, to no avail. All the while, he continued to pay the property taxes ($2,200 in 2011) and legal fees incurred trying to get a demolition permit.

Late last year, with help from Councilor Dave Marshall, Clarke got his wish. The permit was issued in December, although it cost Clarke another $10,000 to raze the house.

Rosanne Graef, head of the West End Neighborhood Association, predicted few will miss the old Cape-style house, which occupied a prominent corner that already has a trendy pizza restaurant, a veterinarian's office, a laundromat and a convenience store.

"When it came down, people were glad," she said. "It really was an eyesore, and it was getting to be unsafe. The only real concern that I heard being expressed, is that there were a lot of cats living there, and people wondered what happened to them."

Ethan Strimling, CEO of LearningWorks, which is next door to where the house stood, said he was "pleased the city finally allowed it to be taken down."

"All it was housing was feral cats. And many of the cats were coming over here at one point or another," he said.

Councilor Marshall, who lives across the street from Clarke's properties, said he's looking forward to new development on the site.

"It's in a B-1 zone, which means retail on the first floor and housing above. It also means (a developer) could probably ... put in 18 units of housing," he said.

Sparrow insists the property will sell at some point, but says he's warned Clarke not to spend proceeds of the sale just yet.

"It's a unique piece and it will sell," he said, predicting it would fetch between $350,000 and $425,000. "In a better market, it would have sold for $550,000 to $575,000."

The owner of 189 Brackett Street, seen here three years ago, finally got approval late last year from the city to remove the structure. The house lot and an adjacent parking lot are now for sale.

- The Fuge/Courtesy The Bollard

Where the 172-year-old house at 189 Brackett Street once stood is now a vacant lot.

- Casey Conley
Copyright 2011, The Portland Daily Sun - Portland's Daily Newspaper - One Longfellow Square, Suite 202, Portland, ME 04102 - (207) 699-5801

Here is an update from Mainebiz.biz regarding Portland's Bay House, which talks about a switch from planning condos to planning apartments instead.

JANUARY 6, 2012
Portland's Bay House condo project scrapped for new use

RENDERING/COURTESY ATLAS INVESTMENT GROUP
A rendering of the Bay House, which is now slated to be a 100-unit apartment complex instead of condos.
RELATED CONTENT
New owners in wings for MaineToday Media
Report: Early education boosts work force
LePage vetoes three bills, including tax credit for loggers
Business bankruptcy filings drop in 2011
Jackson Lab finalizes deal for $1.1B Conn. facility
RANDY BILLINGS
A proposed mixed-used residential condominium development on Portland's eastern waterfront will instead become a 100-unit apartment complex — a change driven by the lending market.
Project developers, Village at Oceangate, originally proposed a two-phase development of up to 176 high-end residential condominiums, named The Bay House, at the site of the former Village Café restaurant at Newbury and Hancock streets. Instead, one of the partners says they will build 108 market-rate apartments. First floor commercial uses, including a 150- to 200-seat restaurant, in the original plan will still be part of the proposal.
The condominium project was initially stalled when the real estate market collapsed in 2008 and the project couldn't get financing. Last year, the city council granted the developer the maximum extension on a contract zone for the five-story project.
But Realtor Sandy Johnson, a partner at Town & Shore Associates, says the delays compelled some potential residents pull out of their intent-to-purchase contracts. Johnson said at one point about 30% of the 82 units to be built in the project's first phase were under contract by prospective residents. After many prospective buyers pulled out, the company voided the remanding contracts, she says.
The company recently dismantled its model showroom and office on Market Street.
Gordon Reger, a principal in the Buffalo, N.Y.-based Reger Holdings and a partner in the development, says the change from residential condos to apartments was driven by lenders, who simply are not funding new, large-scale condo projects.
"I think right now, these kinds of (large residential) projects are toxic to lenders," Reger says. "As beautiful as Portland, Maine is; and as strong as the market is; and as positive as we are about our project — we're not going to find a major lender who is going to go against everything else that is going on in banking around the country."
Reger says preliminary plans indicate the following breakdown for the apartment units: eight studios, 20 one bedroom, 72 two bedroom and eight three bedroom. Sixteen of the two-bedroom units may include a den, he says.
Reger would not disclose how much the rents will be on the units, other than to say it will be at market rates. "They won't be the cheapest apartments in town," he says, noting the units could be converted to condos at a later date.
The condos were originally being marketed for $175,000 for a studio to $550,000 for a three bedroom.
Developers are close to receiving financing for the $30 million project. "We're very confident it will be closed soon," Reger says.
Ground-breaking is expected to take place this spring with the goal of having tenants move in the summer of 2013.
Significant construction would have to start by Sept. 22 for the contract zone granted by the city to remain in effect.
BACK TO TOP | POST A COMMENT

That site with a 7 story building? I'm not sure that's appropriate. But I guess it would depend on design. I am completely in favor of height, but would rather see it downtown. The west end square at Pine and Brackett is a neat little place. If the cumbies was redeveloped, it would truly be a great neighborhood center.

Also, not surprised about the Bay House, but glad to see the project still moving forward in one form or another. I wonder what the design will look like. I doubt the rendering for the condo is the one the apartments will use, but on second thought that's the site plan approved, so it very well may be. I wonder if they are really building the same project but just renting units instead of selling them?

Lots of work planned in Portland construction. Here are some massing models of a project which will probably be the biggest Portland has ever seen.

maritimelanding1.jpg

maritimelanding2.jpg

maritimelanding3.jpg

maritimelanding4.jpg

maritimelanding5.jpg

maritimelanding8.jpg

Thanks for sharing, Corey. I went to planning school with the woman who organized the India Street Neighborhood Association (ISNA) and she was very concerned about his real estate holdings and aggregation. I think probably after hearing the plans people can relax a bit. This guy does not want a negative public image and doesn't need the money, so he'll probably legitimately be interested in building something positive. Also, note that if you look at where these properties are, they are all strategically located at spot fronting on or very near Franklin Street. He sees something in the future, probably along the lines of a reconnected grid and increased investment potential due to instantaneously link up with the Old Port. Maybe he'll just sell this little Rebco or whatever it's being called.

The CBRE | The Boulos Company's 2012 Office Market Survey for Portland is now up, here (direct link to PDF here). It's a good overview of recent and upcoming developments in town. Also, I licensed one of my photos for the cover, looks good!

cbre.png

Back