Proto | 88 Ames St | Kendall Square | Cambridge

Right around the corner they've set up a leasing office and 'demo' kitchen, in the lobby of 90 Broadway.

TTD1520.jpg

8ZobwsQ.jpg

Hell yea the crown gives it a couple more floors too, didn't know know that. Sound like a broken record, but this is how you do it right with the bare minimum materials and massing. A good architect can use whatever he/she has and make something great. You were never going to get iconic with short height, wide massing, and white precast panels remember that, but for what they had to work with they did a damn good job. The vertical lines that break away as you reach the top 1/3rd differentiating the top of the tower from the rest give it life. In that first pic the lines drop by just about a 1/3rd 3 times to give it very thin lines that lead to the top. The floor plates get darker the further up you go as well. I can see this all the way from Allston coming in on the pike too pretty cool. For what this is its a wonderful addition.

-Oh yea and thank you very much Beeline.

OK design, kind of 50's Midtown office building-ish, and hooray for roof mechs that are integrated and not just an afterthought. A Masterclass (along with Marriott Moxy) for creating good density from minimal leftover waste space. More, much more please.

Crane is coming down this weekend. On Friday a self erecting crane had already begun disassembly.

UisMWsA.jpg

It's a reasonable addition that's very middle-of-the-road contemporary design, but I can't help but feel like it would look less stumpy at 5 storeys taller. Something about the ratio of height to width for buildings in this region always strikes me as either being stumpy or super-tall but only from one angle.

Fire trucks swarmed all over this building this morning. At 9am it appeared the emergency was over and they were beginning to clean up. I could see no evidence of fire.

I've been loving that external elevator. I kind of wish it was a permanent feature.

Back