Proto | 88 Ames St | Kendall Square | Cambridge

Re: Ames Street Residence/88 Ames Str./Kendall Sq./Cambridge

That's a good explanation, and one I didn't really consider. Thanks for that.

With that said, I understand the attitude of the neighbors and why they don't want these developments, but I don't like the suggestion that these private investors have a lot of money and the locals don't, so they should give them money.

Last edited:

That's a good explanation, and one I didn't really consider. Thanks for that.

With that said, I understand the attitude of the neighbors and why they don't want these developments, but I don't like the suggestion that these private investors have a lot of money and the locals don't, so they should give them money.

I don't think the suggestion about private investors funding community mitigation is quite as harsh as you are suggesting.

There is a certain moral (though likely not legal) argument that if you, mister private developer, are going to make a lot of money by essentially destroying my neighborhood, and my home of 30 years, then yes, I, as a human being, and an actual resident of the community, are entitled to some level of compensation for that destruction.

Pure capitalism doesn't work that way, but capitalism coupled with some social responsibility should.

The area is really moving fast. I used to work right in the tech square buildings and walk through those places. I think the best for all parties solution would be to have a development plan for the area. Take three of the buildings move the residents and build a new, denser, more mixed income building. Move those residents back in and have the next set of building residents move in there so you can build up the next building in the site. Give all the residents priority on the jobs there. If you built nice 6-7 story buildings as a replacement you could double the number of affordable housing and add just as many market rate units while allowing the community to reap the benefits of all the rising value of their neighborhood. I think this is the type of thing city housing authorities should be focused on. Otherwise we will just see situations outlined in today's globe where 10000 people apply for 73 units.

I don't think the suggestion about private investors funding community mitigation is quite as harsh as you are suggesting.

There is a certain moral (though likely not legal) argument that if you, mister private developer, are going to make a lot of money by essentially destroying my neighborhood, and my home of 30 years, then yes, I, as a human being, and an actual resident of the community, are entitled to some level of compensation for that destruction.

Pure capitalism doesn't work that way, but capitalism coupled with some social responsibility should.

The area is really moving fast. I used to work right in the tech square buildings and walk through those places. I think the best for all parties solution would be to have a development plan for the area. Take three of the buildings move the residents and build a new, denser, more mixed income building. Move those residents back in and have the next set of building residents move in there so you can build up the next building in the site. Give all the residents priority on the jobs there. If you built nice 6-7 story buildings as a replacement you could double the number of affordable housing and add just as many market rate units while allowing the community to reap the benefits of all the rising value of their neighborhood. I think this is the type of thing city housing authorities should be focused on. Otherwise we will just see situations outlined in today's globe where 10000 people apply for 73 units.

Both of you are just seeing a recent manifestation of the certain Cambridge-uniquity:

Cambridge has always been a strange amalgam, far more complex than the traditional town & gown of most university towns:

Since MIT arrived in 1916 Cambridge could be characterized as a layer cake:

1) body -- mostly blue collar people [frequently ethnic relatively new immigrants] with blue collar companies within an easy commute -- especially around Kendall Sq.
2) mid layer of white / pink collar people commuting to Boston to work in the Financial District
3) upper layer -- white collar / professional people with Harvard & MIT and a few other local employers
4) a thin frosting of the uber-rich [particularly around Brattle St.] replete with trust funds and coupon clipping as their hobby

Then around the mid-century things changed fundamentally:

the Blue Collars got the majority of the shaft as heavy manufacturing places such as Kendall [Boiler & Tank, American Builtrite Rubber, Boston Woven Hose] were decimated by companies closing and the land being bought at rock-bottom prices by the Feds [NASA now Volpe DOT] and MIT [now being developed as the Kendall high tech / biotech R&D mecca]. Public housing was constructed mostly for returning GI's to provide them an assist with their "start-up" families.

Meanwhile, RT-128 was booming with the kind of growth in employment seen in Cambridge today.

by 1970 Kendall in particular turned into a wasteland of empty acres as NASA decamped and the DOT only wanted a small piece. A new demographic Class arrived [#0] on the cake with little or no income and a major demand for the public housing which was being gradually depopulated by the lower-middle class [#1,2] as they found employment in the suburbs and moved to be near the jobs on Rt-128

Population of Cambridge was falling as both jobs and people moved out to RT-128 and beyond.

The community was highly split along 0,1,2,3,4 as above -- suggestions ranged from a fancy Civic Plaza and replacement for the City Hall [#3,4] to an immense lower income housing development [#0,3,4] to MIT's proposal which effectively turned into Tech Sq and then Cambridge Center

Eventually, Cambridge became very chicque and a new #4+ or #5 class began to move in and demand that things not change in a way as to make Cambridge less of what they had found so good

The NIMBY's against major development in Cambridge in general and Kendall in particular are both the lower-end and the top-end mostly became some of the strongest nimbys opposing everything even if it wasn't near to their mansions

Now in the past decade Cambridge is changing again to more resemble a 21st C version of late 19th / early 20th C Cambridge with Novartis and Genzyme the Kendall Boiler & Tank and Boston Woven Hose of today and of course Harvard and especially MIT owning a whole lot more of the town.

Full disclosure: my grandfather [father's side] arrived in Cambridge circa 1900 from Europe and my father was born in Cambridge Hospital about a decade later
Post WWII my father lived in East Cambridge in a multifamily house owned by his sister while he attended BU as a GI-bill commuter student.
A few decades later I lived in Cambridge while I attended MIT and often visited my aunt by walking across the Kendall wasteland.
30 years ago I returned to the Boston area and have lived in Lexington with frequent visits to Cambridge ever since

Last edited:

That's really cool...I didn't know about the evolution of Cambridge, especially the Kendall area.

There's a few pictorial "blogs" out there that outline it fairly well. I pilfered a bunch of pictures from one. If I find it again, I'll link it. The pictures before Tech Sq. and Cambridge (Kendall) Center after everything previous was knocked down are something else. Especially when Draper was sitting there all by itself.

ive only seen a few pictures, would be great to see more if you can find them.

I've seen one aerial with the old Broad Canal extending up to the backside of what is now One Kendall. I would love to see some more aerials where the canal is still extant.

There's an article in the New York Times that begins with this description of the East Cambridge of yesteryear, lingering on.

An old two-story brick building in a shabby part of town, formerly a distribution center for Budweiser beer, is now the world’s most powerful factory for analyzing genes from people and viruses.

^^^ Its part of the Broad Institute. It also illustrates why big Pharma is moving to Kendall Square.

Did this get approved yet? Any details?

There's an article in the New York Times that begins with this description of the East Cambridge of yesteryear, lingering on.

^^^ Its part of the Broad Institute. It also illustrates why big Pharma is moving to Kendall Square.

Stel -- that's the Whitehead Institute CENTER FOR GENOME RESEARCH -- where more than 1/3 of the Human Genome was deciphered
http://wi.mit.edu/about/history

The Whitehead Institute was founded in 1982 by businessman and philanthropist Edwin C. “Jack” Whitehead, who was driven by a single vision: to assemble a cadre of the world’s finest biomedical researchers under one roof and eliminate virtually any impediment to their pursuit of scientific discovery. He sought to create a wholly independent, self-governing institution with a close affiliation with a leading research university.....

Jack Whitehead provided $35 million to construct and equip a new building, as well as $5 million per year in guaranteed income and a substantial endowment in his will (for a total gift of $135 million). When scientists moved into Nine Cambridge Center in the summer of 1984, Whitehead Institute was already a thriving research establishment.....

Today, Whitehead is home to 17 principal investigators focused on biology’s most fundamental questions. Whitehead scientists run pioneering programs in cancer research, immunology, developmental biology, stem cell research, regenerative medicine, genetics, and genomics. Current pursuits include:

• Understanding the role of cancer stem cells in tumor recurrence and metastasis

• Investigating the origins of Parkinson’s disease

• Developing new platforms for the use of stem cells in personalized medicine

• Exploring the basic biology of fat cells to broaden understanding of obesity and diabetes

• Using novel animal models to uncover the genetic basis of autism

Despite a faculty many times smaller than those of peer institutions, Whitehead Institute’s contributions to bioscience have long been second to none. Less than a decade after its founding, it was named the top research institution in the world in molecular biology and genetics, and over a recent 10-year period, papers published by Whitehead scientists had more impact in molecular biology and genetics than those from any of the 15 leading research universities and life sciences institutes in the United States.

http://wi.mit.edu/about/history/genome

CENTER FOR GENOME RESEARCH
In the late 1980s, sensing an impending revolution in genomics, Whitehead Institute leadership committed to the creation of the Whitehead/MIT Center for Genome Research.

genome%20center%201.jpg

By 1990, the Center was up and running under the direction former Whitehead Member Eric Lander, who had come to the Institute four years earlier as a Whitehead Fellow. Within a few years, the facility became one of the largest in the world, and an international leader in the fields of genetics and genomics....

In 1990, the Institute for Scientific Information in Philadelphia identified Whitehead as the top research institution in the world in molecular biology and genetics based on the impact of its scientific publications. With fewer than 20 Members and Fellows, Whitehead Institute emerged as a major force in fields ranging from cancer research to transgenic science.

Whitehead scientists shaped the emerging field of genomics by making the single largest contribution to the Human Genome Project.....

Faculty and Fellows continue to push the envelope of science into new areas. Currently, they are mapping stem cell circuitry, investigating protein-folding problems, probing newly discovered RNAs and more. These and other findings solidify the Institute’s reputation as a powerhouse of biological discovery.

Lander & the Whitehead Genomics unit formed the core of the Broad Institute https://www.broadinstitute.org/

BroadRoboticslab_2736F.jpg

Credit Len Rubenstein

$650 million commitment to Stanley Center at Broad Institute aims to galvanize mental illness research
July 22nd, 2014
The Broad Institute today announced an unprecedented commitment of $650 million from philanthropist Ted Stanley aimed at galvanizing scientific research on psychiatric disorders and bringing new treatments based on molecular understanding to hundreds of millions of people around the world.

Think of it as your daily living environment, the place you've called home for years, often struggling, being completely transformed without you having any say whatsoever. On top of that, those doing the transformation have zero to little regard the effects they are having on the landscape. You know for a fact that most of these developers, while they may not actively want to displace the current tenants (though some might) wished to whatever god they pray to that the said tenants just didn't exist. They are pesky poor people standing in the way of expansion and progress.

I also keep hearing a lot of well to do (and lets face it, white) tech workers from the middle class responding to the situation in Kendall with an "aw shucks that's capitalism" mentality. I'm not saying private companies have an obligation to spend money on charity or even that the residents should be entitled to stay, but the complete disregard and lack of respect for the neighborhood that has existed for years is pretty disturbing to me. If I lived there I'd be pretty pissed.

Pixel -- most of the opposition comes from people who are just "PO-ed" that they are NOT getting a piece of the action -- a block or two closer and someone might may them an offer

There is a lot of other opposition from people who have gotten a good deal but don't want to share the ground / opportunity with others

In general -- compared to what used to be in the Kendall Area -- i.e. the Kendall Boiler and Tank Company and Boston Woven Hose, etc.
boston_woven_hose_ad_2.jpg

Kendall-Square-Urban-Renewal-Project-Area-1960_Cambridge-Historical-Commission.png

circa 1960
-- the fact a few Google Gnurds want to be able to sleep-walk from the Google to the Gnurd-Heap shouldn't bother too many real residents in the area.

Last edited:

^ Im not gonna lie at all that second pic is awesome (also, I think that's a little older than 1960?) and wish I could go back to THAT Kendall, filthy, polluted canal and decrepit, run down factories and all!

^ Im not gonna lie at all that second pic is awesome (also, I think that's a little older than 1960?) and wish I could go back to THAT Kendall, filthy, polluted canal and decrepit, run down factories and all!

FK -- the 2nd pic was used for the discussion of the Kendall Square Urban Renewal Area circa 1960 -- the actual photo could have been a few years earlier

However, it certainly reminds me of the Industrial Kendall from my childhood period when I'd come up to Cambridge to see my father's sister who lived on 6th just off Cambridge

A couple of times in the early 60's I spent some few weeks camping-out in the house on 6th St. while I attended some Summer program at the MOS -- took a few walks to see Kendall -- all of it was gone by the time I attended MIT in the early 70's

For a long time -- a lot of that Kendall Industrial skyline -- most particularly the huge gas holders -- were part of a hydraulically lifted horizon diorama that was a feature of the original Charles Hayden Planetarium Shows at the MOS displayed with the unique Korkosz Brothers projector [1958]

good old days///thx for sharing...

good old days///thx for sharing...

FK -- in Greater Boston -- when you take off a board or dig a hole -- you are uncovering something that was either: "those were the Good Old Days" -- or "Horrors they did that?"

Everyplace we walk has been trod by generations before us and most of what we think of as natural landforms were engineered

All the above is one of the reasons that this is an interesting place to live and why its important that the past be preserved to help explain things to the future users

By the way -- I came across a great Website for Cambridge development history
Atlas of the City of Cambridge, Massachusetts 1930
by G.W. Bromley and Co
http://www.wardmaps.com/viewasset.php?aid=11

as there were few changes between the 1920's and the beginning of the past 50 years development cycle circa 1960 -- These maps from circa 1930 show essentially the stable state of Cambridge development mid 20th C

Here's a sample of one of the Kendall area maps [right on the edge of the 88 Ames St. project]

http://www.wardmaps.com/viewasset.php?aid=406

Awesome maps on there.
Thank you.
Shame looking at how many more roads and small blocks in the area that got blown up and replaced by the superblocks for insular office parks we got here now.
Also, where the projects are now. Look like that used to be a pretty tight neighborhood there.

Looks like where I'm sitting right now, would have been making some soap back in the 30's . (Lever Bros.)

Re: Ames Street Residence | 88 Ames Str. - Kendall Sq. | Cambridge

This has moved into the development phase according to Boston Properties third quarter earnings call.

Re: Ames Street Residence | 88 Ames Str. - Kendall Sq. | Cambridge

Nice. I like this one. Has anyone seen anything going on over there?

Back