Providence developments

The Avenue​

1705185740773.jpeg

1705185750883.jpeg

The Avenue​

Breaking ground 2024 – Estimated completion: Summer 2025

The Avenue
will be an 85-unit affordable housing development that will combine development of 39 newly constructed apartments at 434 Atwells Avenue in the Federal Hill neighborhood of Providence and the preservation and re-syndication of 46 affordable apartments, known as Elmwood Neighborhood Revitalization II (ENR II), in the Elmwood neighborhood of Providence.
ATWELLS AVENUE

• 39 new apartments in 5-story building at 434 Atwells Avenue, Providence, on vibrant mixed-use street which will encourage pedestrian and bicycle traffic, easy access to public transportation
  • Residential apartments on floors 2 through 5, that include 11 one-bedroom, 24 two-bedroom, and 4 three-bedroom apartments; 2 ADA compliant units (1 one-bedroom and 1 two-bedroom)
  • A unit mix of 9 units at 30% AMI, 13 units at 60% AMI and 17 units of unrestricted/market rate housing
  • 1,000 square feet of commercial space on first floor for coffee shop, a fitness center, a mail room, bike storage, management office
  • 40 parking spaces, partially enclosed

https://oneneighborhoodbuilders.org/property/the-avenue-2/

30-story apartment tower proposed next to Hilton Providence​

The owner of the Hilton in downtown Providence is proposing a 30-story apartment building next to the hotel along Interstate 95:

Totally boring tower proposal but great place for height.

30-story apartment tower proposed next to Hilton Providence​

The owner of the Hilton in downtown Providence is proposing a 30-story apartment building next to the hotel along Interstate 95:

Totally boring tower proposal but great place for height.

Yeah, this should be a relative no-brainer in this spot. It's not pretty, but I imagine the design will evolve.

I would rather it be built on an already empty lot such as the one directly across the street (where the round design gas station once was).
link
I remember about 20 years ago there was another tower proposal for this same site. In fact , they did not reclad the side of the Hilton facing the proposed site. They just covered it with the panels temporarily in preparation for the new tower. This one wont be attached the same way as that original proposal, however.

Last edited:

Somehow this is taking "another step forward" even though the board literally just heard about it! Here's a quote from the mayor Brett Smiley:
“When a luxury apartment gets built, an older luxury apartment becomes a middle-class apartment and that frees up another apartment which frees up another apartment. Every new unit into the marketplace helps”

Maybe he should have spoken up a little louder before the Fane Tower was canceled last year! Anyway it's still quite the surprise to see this proposal. It also seems further away from the main high-rise cluster than the Fane Tower was. Providence could certainly use a shot in the arm so hopefully this gets built and is successful.

Nah it’s a much better place for height.

I hope they improve the design. ZDS doesn’t have a great reputation. I know I shouldn’t complain about housing but crossing my fingures for something that looks a little less Alkron circa 1995. Especially with so many actual good proposals in the pipeline.

Back