Public Alley 444 | 939 Boylston Street | Back Bay

Re: 939 Boylston (Or really Public Alley 444)

Interesting... and they mention retail... where's that going to go?

Hutchison, you are killing it with these BRA website finds. Thank you!

Looks like the retail might include a repurposing of the Cactus Club space. As with any retail turnover in this area, I hope and pray that it's big enough to coax Trader Joe's out of the basement and into a respectable space. Seems iffy, though.

Speaking of underground uses, looks like the existing building doesn't have a garage? The filing says 35 garage spaces will replace 18 open-air spaces.

Cool infill project! Hope this one clears through the regulatory hurdles quickly.

The rendering of the tower looks very glassy like something you would see in the seaport or kendall. Think that is just a conceptual drawing for the massing or the actual design?

The rendering of the tower looks very glassy like something you would see in the seaport or kendall. Think that is just a conceptual drawing for the massing or the actual design?

CBT tends to love walls of glass. See 111 Huntington & The Residences at Fan Pier/Parcel C.

Too much parking. Looks like they're digging a level deeper for that. What's interesting is that the zoning table says that parking is not required on this site. So this is the developer building it at-will, supposedly. That's more reasonable, I suppose, although I still disagree with the choice.

Well maybe they do feel forced to build parking. After all, in the opening statement, they offer it as "parking and traffic mitigation." Sigh. Why, oh why, do people still treat off-street parking as "traffic mitigation?" It's a blatant, obvious falsity -- parking increases traffic, it does not mitigate traffic. Yet it gets repeated over and over.

Anyway, otherwise, an interesting proposal.

I love alleyway infill projects. The Lincoln Rd extension (ie he alleyway behind the Lincoln Rd Mall in South Beach) has transformed into a bonafide retail street through infill projects like this one over the last decade.

It will be interesting to hear what the Back Bay Architectural Commission has to say about that tower addition...

I hope and pray that it's big enough to coax Trader Joe's out of the basement and into a respectable space. Seems iffy, though.

Curse you for even raising that possibility; now you've got me obsessed with the idea of of a full-sized TJs in that spot...when it becomes a CVS I will be inconsolable! ;)

It will be interesting to hear what the Back Bay Architectural Commission has to say about that tower addition...

In terms of height or facade?

I like the renderings, but I could understand if they want the developer to do do a more classically inspired facade. That said, the Back Bay does such an outstanding job at being architecturally harmonious that a little juxtaposition such as this or the BAC IMO adds to the neighborhood.

It sounds like they're going to put in a robotic parking facility to fit the 35 spaces. I suspect they need to offer parking with the residences to get the money to make it work.

122914boylston004.jpg

Article here.
http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...plan_for_building_behind_back_bay_tennis_club

Tennis -- Anyone?

Boston Tennis and Racquet Club
from the Boston Herald
Developer serves up plan for building behind Back Bay tennis club
NEW MATCH: Boston-based Hamlen Co. wants to build a 10-story glass residential building behind a 1902 Beaux Arts tennis club building on Boylston Street.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014
By:
Donna Goodison
Developers are proposing a 10-story mixed-use, glass-faced building that would rise above a 1902 Beaux Arts building on Boston’s Boylston Street, across from the Hynes Convention Center.

The $40 million project by Boston-based Hamlen Co. would replace an existing 18-space parking lot behind 927-939 Boylston St. and build upon what’s considered an original building in the Back Bay neighborhood, according to documents filed with the Boston Redevelopment Authority. It would include 15 residential units, two ground-floor retail spaces, a second level of shell office or educational space and a new enclosed parking garage with 35 spaces...

Residents of the proposed project would have access to the club’s fitness facilities, food service, social areas and meeting space.

122914boylston004.jpg

Obviously early in the process -- but what a great concept -- take the olde and older one of the most Brahminian entities and make it into a specialized residence for the Fitness-ophiles

I still think a similar slim glass tower could be grafted to the rear of the Johnson Building [furthest away from Boylston - Dartmouth corner] -- perfect for the Bibliophile

Re: Tennis -- Anyone?

Stel -- i think the Public Alley and Tennis & Racquette Clube just merged in the dark -- sounds like an outline of a plot for some sort of Back Bay version of the "Hotel Budapest"

By the way the Tennis in the name of the club was Courte Tennis played since the 15th Century -- that's what is behind the tall upper story with the Clerestory windows -- see the illustration below

from their website with my highlight in BOLD
http://www.tandr.org/
tennis.jpg

The Tennis and Racquet Club (T&R) was founded in 1902 and remains the oldest athletic and social club in the city of Boston. The club is known for its century-old tradition of court tennis (the regal, slate-walled ancestors of all racquet sports), the unique and exciting game of racquets, and its top-rated squash program. The T&R also offers a fitness center, men's and women's locker rooms, function rooms, a full service member bar, and a full calendar of social events.

Our head professionals, Jimmy Burke and Shahid Zaman Khan are among the best in the country. Shahid and Jimmy provide private and group lessons for members of all skill levels.

The T&R was founded to build camaraderie in a highly welcoming atmosphere unique to a club that combines social activities and athletics. Our squash leagues, frequent tournaments, and lively social events provide countless opportunities for the new and seasoned member to enjoy the club.

The T&R has reciprocal memberships with various racquet clubs located in the United States, Canada, and England. In addition, the club is a member of the IHRSA Passport Program which allows club members to access IHRSA affiliated clubs around the world.

If i was the developer -- I'd slim the tower and go for another 15 floors and sell it to the International Set

Last edited:
Re: Tennis -- Anyone?

Boston Tennis and Racquet Club
from the Boston Herald

Residents of the proposed project would have access to the club’s fitness facilities, food service, social areas and meeting space.

I guess the T&R is even harder up than they're rumored to be if they're allowing this kind of backdoor access.

mods, please mark this thread as "proposed" and change the thread title to "939 Boylston Street | Back Bay"

Back