Somerville Infill and Small Developments

I would look at the zoning map to see what can be built as of right. Part of the intent with the recent zoning overhaul was to reduce the need for variances.

As RandomWalk said, If it's in an MR4 (or higher) district, it's pretty easy to build a by-right 40 unit building with minimal approval process.

As RandomWalk said, If it's in an MR4 (or higher) district, it's pretty easy to build a by-right 40 unit building with minimal approval process.
7-9 Central St appears to be an Urban Residential district - which is essentially in between Neighborhood Residential and MidRise-4 districts. I reached out to JT to see if he’d share any more details…we’ll see if he gets back to me. https://www.somervillezoning.com/

BTW I think it’s great that the owner is developing these lots. I’m not trying to go all Murrow on this or anything. Hopefully the Dunkin / Wings Over S’ville bldg owner follows suit.

Last edited:
I’m pretty excited to see this new park and entry to the library get built. Is that a water feature?!
BCF3D37E-3DC8-4E83-A181-68537765687B.jpeg
66EBA8CC-D81C-49F8-87D1-18DD5EF49998.jpeg

Update on the 7-9 Central St development, from JT: “it appears to be a by-rights development proposal for the site, and received its Certificate of Zoning Compliance on Friday of last week - which is why it hasn't come to me for any neighborhood meetings or other reviews beyond city staff. It continues to work its way through the city's Inspectional Services and Engineering approvals process…40 units and 40 parking spaces (almost all below the building, a few in the rear). The unit mix is:
12 Studios (ave 608 sqft each)
10 1BR (ave 773 sqft each)
10 2BR (ave ~970 sqft each)
4 2BR/2BA+Den (ave ~1150 sqft each)
4 3BR (ave 1372 sqft each)

Of these units, 8 will be deed-restricted affordable housing managed by the City's Housing Department.”

FCADA27B-2B76-4FC8-9EFA-EFE8979FAD2E.png

Apparently a roof collapse at 297 Medford in Winter Hill led to an emergency demo permit earlier this month. Hopefully no one harmed. I wonder if just rebuilding a roof is possible or necessary to start over from ground up?
57FE1674-4BD5-4D07-A040-8CB8CADA163D.jpeg
68600FC1-4634-4469-8798-7161420B69F7.jpeg

The former American Legion on Highland Ave - I’m pleasantly surprised by what’s appearing to become a not half-bad apartment/condo building. Is the American Legion still the owner, will they have a space in the building?
2F24C28C-8458-4149-8C84-A6FD667E2BC2.jpeg

Dr. RR: sorry if I'm missing the obvious, but where/what is this park? Thanks!
I’m pretty excited to see this new park and entry to the library get built. Is that a water feature?!
View attachment 15244View attachment 15245
Yes, this is outside the main branch of the Somerville Public Library. The blue is most likely meant to represent blue rubberized paths and not water. It'd be nice if it were a more organic looking color, but they've been using rubber material rather than wood chips in playground renovations for the past 4 or so years. The one at Marshall Street, for example, is now blue rubber. Now it *could* be water and definitely looks like it is meant to appear to be a series of moats and channels, but this aint Miami and it is not going to be a 12-month-of-the-year lazy river... so my money is on rubber.

Ha! I think the "nature" shots in those slides are real world inspirations for the feel of the space but not actual examples of the kind of final product they're promising. The waterfall, for example, will be a slope of blue rubber with some climbing footholds, as you can see in that first image with the slide.

Ha! I think the "nature" shots in those slides are real world inspirations for the feel of the space but not actual examples of the kind of final product they're promising. The waterfall, for example, will be a slope of blue rubber with some climbing footholds, as you can see in that first image with the slide.
How do you like them balls? Quite the footholds!

DBE3D767-A0BD-442D-859C-E94C0704F18B.jpeg
48808D27-BAB9-4659-9D2F-AC617651044C.jpeg

Back