South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

czsz said:
One of the reasons I dislike seeing 111 Huntington in the Back Bay is that it softens the drama of the Pru's vertical thrust.

It depends on the perspective. I'd say that the Pru's vertical thrust isn't hurt one bit when viewed from the north or south, say from MIT's lawn or Franklin Square. And while that may be more a function of it being viewed from its slender side than anything else (150 ft versus 180 on the east-west sides, a 5:6 ratio), I'd almost say 111's stoutness becomes most apparent from those angles, and as a result emphasizes the Pru's height even more.

But yes, there are plenty of other times when 111 steals the show from the big ol' Pru. However, I defintely like 111 and don't see any problems with that.

I too love the monumentality and vertical thrust of both the Pru and Hancock. But those attributes, unfortunately, have been greatly muted by the drabbest constellation of highrises outside the former Soviet Block that have taken up residence around them -- particularly the former.

111 is a much needed departure, and hopefully a trend setter. Its not even a great building, but at least we're back in the Free World.

^ You know, I really don't mind any of the towers in the Pru complex. 101 Hungtington is one of the sharpest looking boxes out there (of course we're talking post-2003 renovation), and I sorta like those apartment towers--they have that quirky (kooky?) '60s vibe to them. They may make for boring skyline elements, but I can overlook that as they add much needed density to the Back Bay skyline.

However, Copley Place irks the hell out of me. Those precast panels are just so god-awful BAD! My company gets a good amount of work from the architects that designed the complex (McMahon), and I've been so incredibly tempted to search out someone who was working at the firm back then and ask what the hell they were thinking. Simply atrocious.

And you gotta love how the sidewalk just ends on you when walking east from the Mariott. I've seen so many people become befuddled by that.

i can see the other apartment buildings "muting" the pru and hancock... but i also want to see other buildings around the area to give a feeling of a cluster there.

Those older apartment buildings are funny, obviously i can see how people find them hideous, but they actually dont bother me that much if at all. "quirky" is a good description of them... Being next to the Pru and they seem shorter than they actually are... but yes they could easily belong in the soviet block.

On a positive note, maybe its just me, but could a few slighty ugly buildings accentuate the well-designed. "beautiful" ones? And comparing it to New York, how many horrible high rise apartment buildings and tenements exist in that city? I remember trying to see the city from across the river in the brooklyn (or what it the bronx?) somewhere, and thinking those ugly brick towers ruined part of the view of manhattan. so possibly we should be happy we dont have more. depends on your perspective.

I hope they go thru with that copley square project talked about earlier, I'd like to see a 400-500 footer to add to the cluster. IMO it just puts more meat on the bones. Although I dont know how condusive that area is to more towers of any height. (nimbys)

Bobby Digital said:
On a positive note, maybe its just me, but could a few slighty ugly buildings accentuate the well-designed. "beautiful" ones? And comparing it to New York, how many horrible high rise apartment buildings and tenements exist in that city? I remember trying to see the city from across the river in the brooklyn (or what it the bronx?) somewhere, and thinking those ugly brick towers ruined part of the view of manhattan. so possibly we should be happy we dont have more. depends on your perspective.

I think you are right. Most apartment buildings/office buildings in NYC look similar and there are only a few buildings that actually stick out. The problem in Boston is that it is so small that even the ugly ones stick out.

ya, it definitely is less noticeable in New York since it is an endless sea of buildings but in ever city you're gonna have ugly apartment buildings like those, and luckily Boston has less than some other cities. One thing we do have too much of is large box skyscrapers.
And also I also think that 11 Huntington looks alot smaller than it really is since it is next to The Pru. Before I found out 111's actual height, I thought it was 300-350 ft tall just because how small it looked next to the Pru. But from different angles it looks taller and shorter.

Bobby Digital said:
I hope they go thru with that copley square project talked about earlier, I'd like to see a 400-500 footer to add to the cluster.

What project is this??? I haven't heard about it, or maybe I have and just don't know it as the Copley Square Project. If it was mentioned before what is the link to the thread or can you post a little info about it.

Context: 111 Huntington and Christian Science Mother Church

TheBostonBoy said:
I like Kingdom Centre, although it does remind me of the tongue thing like nico said lol Also to what BostonSkyGuy said about 111 Huntington, I completely agree with you about it fitting in the Back Bay. It fits a lot better in the Back Bay than it ever would in Downtown. I like that the Back Bay has a lot of different looking buildings compared to Downtown's box buildings. Also it 111 Huntington looks good next to the Pru and also it is cool to have another tall blue building in the back bay like the Hancock tower. 111 Huntington is a great building in general, and i think it would look great anywhere (and i would personally like to see a building like that in downtown also) but I think it is right at home in the Back Bay.

I am surprised that no one ever comments on the way the top of 111 Huntington echos the dome of the Christian Science Mother Church. Viewed from across Mass Ave, looking down the reflecting pool toward Prudential Center -- the Mother Church, 111 Huntington and the base formed by the Belvedere create an amazingly correct blending of old and new harmonious elements. At least from that viewing direction the architecture fits extremely well.

Well-seen, Jeff. I'm not even sure the architects or developers thought of that: wasn't the "hat" Menino's or the BRA's idea?

Re: Context: 111 Huntington and Christian Science Mother Chu

JeffDowntown said:
I am surprised that no one ever comments on the way the top of 111 Huntington echos the dome of the Christian Science Mother Church. Viewed from across Mass Ave, looking down the reflecting pool toward Prudential Center -- the Mother Church, 111 Huntington and the base formed by the Belvedere create an amazingly correct blending of old and new harmonious elements. At least from that viewing direction the architecture fits extremely well.

Whoa, I never saw that before :shock:

czsz said:
Well-seen, Jeff. I'm not even sure the architects or developers thought of that: wasn't the "hat" Menino's or the BRA's idea?

That "hat" was indeed Menino's idea. Is it giving too much credit to the middling talents at CBT that they made the connection? I recall justin making reference to the repetition of motifs in regard to one of DowntownDave's or bowesst's photos, taken from the Westland Ave. traffic island near the Symphony Garage.

Anyone know when this is expected to break ground? Also, has this been fully approved to begin construction?

they are saying "late 2007" and yes, its fully approved.

About once a week I walk down the tracks at SS to see if anything has changed. Each week they seem to be adding more scaffolding where the end of the first track meets the corner of the bus terminal. Has anyone else noticed this?

Another thing I've noticed lately is a new glass door leading from the Track 1 platform to the bus terminal ground floor. However, it was still locked and blocked off when I last saw it (July 7-8 weekend). At some point I assume this will replace the current zigzag ramp.

The scaffolding type001 spoke of

img9113po9.jpg

Thanks kz1000ps! Yep, that is the scaffolding. I swear that the amount is growing each week.

Re: South Station Tower - Full Steam Ahead!

Damn, I am really anxious to see this project move along. It has been soo long, and if it stays in this idle phase any longer, i fear that it will be cancelled, and we will be losing the best/tallest building approved currently. =(

Re: South Station Tower - Full Steam Ahead!

I honestly wouldn't be missing much if this didn't get built, it screams Charlotte the way the Renaissance Seaport Hotel screams "done on the cheap".

Back