The Apartments at 525 Huntington Ave @ Wentworth | 525 Huntington Ave | Fenway

Re: The Apartments at 525 Huntington Ave (Wentworth)

VE?

I don't know if I'd call it innocuous.

I also wish they would try harder to make the street-level active.

I can't disagree, as the general street-condition is dead at sundown. This is an institutional district that need an infusion of activity, especially after dark.

As I think about it, that corner could use a proper restaurant and bar, an alternative to the museum cafes, and a gathering place for the after-work crowd from colleges, and hospitals. There's really nothing like that (except Punters) between Brigham Circle and Symphony.

^^ I agree, but you forgot the Squealing Pig on Smith St. Nice brunch on Sunday.

It's interesting that we have a crisis with the rising cost of education but students refuse to live in traditional shared dorm rooms off double-loaded corridors. They want private suites with full hotel/home style amenities.

At the risk of starting a firestorm which I swear I am not here to do...

There's a really, really, REALLY wide gap between 'shared rooms, double-loaded corridors' and 'private suites with luxurious amenities.' There's also a great many reasons other than 'dorm life isn't cushy enough for me!!' why students might refuse to live in a dorm.

In fact, here's the list of reasons why I personally don't even consider dorm life an option:
  1. Zero control over roommates, dealing with a disagreeable roommate assignment requires administrative involvement
  2. No significant cost savings versus comparable (ie same number of roommates, same level of amenities) off-campus housing, in certain cases off-campus housing is actually cheaper
  3. Cannot stay in dorm during vacations or between semesters
  4. Cannot stay in dorm after graduation / transfer / withdrawal
  5. Certain institutions will force unneeded additional expenses, i.e. meal plans, upon dorming students
You'll note that 'not cushy enough' isn't present on that list, and in fact, I'd be much more willing to move into a spartan studio out in the sticks somewhere than I would a cushy dorm downtown.

Zero control over roommates, dealing with a disagreeable roommate assignment requires administrative involvement

You can't choose roommates? That surprises me - I could in undergrad.

You can't choose roommates? That surprises me - I could in undergrad.

You can't. You're assigned a random roommate - and if you don't get along with that person, or unforeseen complications arise, tough shit. You've got to file a 'roommate change request' and then administration has to get involved and it's a bad time for everybody.

(Granted, this may vary from school to school.)

That's crazy! What's the harm in allowing two people that want to live together be roommates?!?

That's crazy! What's the harm in allowing two people that want to live together be roommates?!?

Isn't college supposed to be all about expanding your horizons, learning new things and meeting new people?

On a more practical level, as far as I know the roommate change request allows you to specify your preferred roommate (and if not, you just get grouped with a random person who also filed a request - which carries with it the inherent danger that you'll end up being that guy who filed a roommate change request 2+ times), and you can then have your friend file the same request so that the two people who want to live together can and the two randomly assigned roommates are relocated together.

Again, though, administration has to get involved, things will get messy, nobody's really happy, and so on...

Only freshmen at WIT are assigned roommates. All upperclass housing requires you to have a full set of roommates picked in order to reserve your room for the next trimester.

This is an upperclass dorm.

Only freshmen at WIT are assigned roommates. All upperclass housing requires you to have a full set of roommates picked in order to reserve your room for the next trimester.

This is an upperclass dorm.

Doesn't Wentworth have a freshman residency requirement as well? (And for that matter, also foists meal plans upon all resident students even if they have no need for the plan or intention to use it?)

...do residency requirements apply to incoming transfer students?

This was my (non-Boston) college experience as well.

This was my (non-Boston) college experience as well.

I started college late. I'm only a freshman now, myself - I have no experience with being an upperclassman.

So, I guess, change #1 to be "Zero control over roommates as an undergrad student."

That's still 1 to 2 years, which I think is certainly not something you can throw out as insignificant, and I'd imagine that there'd be a great deal of difficulty transitioning into dorm residency as a junior/senior after having gone out of your way to avoid dorm residency as a freshman/sophomore.

Me too. I thought CBS was saying you could never choose a roommate.

To be fair, I thought you never could. It makes sense that the rules for upperclassmen and underclassmen are different, though.

I maintain that having no control over your roommates as an underclassman - or even only as a freshman - is kind of a huge thing and a legitimate reason an incoming freshman might decide 'residence life' isn't for him. (Going back to my original point, which was that there are a wide range of reasons why someone might reject living in a dorm and it doesn't need to be strictly a matter of how cushy or not cushy the dorm is.)

Yes, well, I was going to keep my pie-hole shut, but you're predicating a whole bunch about institutional planning, city planning, urban design and construction on what's nothing more than an administrative policy. Doesn't scan for me.

Yes, well, I was going to keep my pie-hole shut, but you're predicating a whole bunch about institutional planning, city planning, urban design and construction on what's nothing more than an administrative policy. Doesn't scan for me.

I would say that whether or not you have control over who you're living with is a much bigger deal than 'just an administrative policy.' It's certainly a legitimate concern, and a deal-breaking one at that.

As I said, I swear I'm not trying to start a firestorm, and maybe my raising administrative issues as actual issues doesn't scan with you, but 'students who refuse to live in a traditional dorm must want private suites with luxury amenities' doesn't scan for me.

So, we'll have to agree to disagree, and I'll try to not get really mad about dorms and end up writing any more anger-fueled venting posts that I end up regretting the next day when I go back and re-read them.

Think about the WIT student body in re: to this housing "issue." The stereotypes are you hear about are true.

You have the highly social/outgoing design students (arch, int, ind) that won't shut up and love chit-chatting with everyone, spending all-nighters together because the studios close at 2AM, etc. They're fine in the 610 and 555 doubles.

Then you have the engineering (mech, elec, etc) that like the company of a few friends, aren't as social, but like gathering for sports games, etc. A decent percentage of this crowd would likely want their own room.

Then you have the anti-social comp. networking systems majors that stay in their room all day and night playing WOW and having LAN parties. They are the ones that want the singles.

Finally, the student body is severely predominantly guys - 80/20 is our ratio. Guys tend to like to live on their own and do their own thing, while girls I'd say are much more likely to want to room together.

I would say that whether or not you have control over who you're living with is a much bigger deal than 'just an administrative policy.' It's certainly a legitimate concern, and a deal-breaking one at that.

But am I wrong? It's an administrative policy that architecture should not try to rectify.

As I said, I swear I'm not trying to start a firestorm, and maybe my raising administrative issues as actual issues doesn't scan with you, but 'students who refuse to live in a traditional dorm must want private suites with luxury amenities' doesn't scan for me.

So, we'll have to agree to disagree, and I'll try to not get really mad about dorms and end up writing any more anger-fueled venting posts that I end up regretting the next day when I go back and re-read them.

What doesn't scan is that the current generation of children who have a much different set of expectations on college life than kids even just 10 years older do.

Ironically, you said it yourself:

Isn't college supposed to be all about expanding your horizons, learning new things and meeting new people?

It is..... as long as you're not put out by it, challenged, or inconvenienced in any way? OK...

Perhaps the people running the ship know a bit more than you? Perhaps they think that living with someone you might not *choose* to live with for just a few years in a situation you'll likely never have to be in again is a good life experience (learning how to cooperate, because for flying fuck's sake, when you get into the work force, you won't be able to isolate yourself with the people you like at the desk you like with the amenities you like.)

Anyway, I loathe my generation for being a bunch of pansy ass helicopter parents and I hate their brats for being a bunch of babies, so I have resentment issues I suppose.

Bottom line, I still see this as an administrative issue. (Now, if you want to talk to me about luxury dorms as ginormous revenue generators, that's another story.)

What doesn't scan is that the current generation of children who have a much different set of expectations on college life than kids even just 10 years older do.

Kids even just 10 years older than I am grew up with the Soviet Union, which was supposed to last forever until it collapsed (just before I was born, in fact.)

Kids even just 10 years older than I am didn't grow up with trivialized international communications. They didn't have smartphones, didn't have social media, weren't connected to everyone all the time.

It's easy to forget, sometimes, but things that you and I find ubiquitous in 2012 were totally unthinkable in 2002, never mind earlier.

And you know, progress marches on... the world changes a little bit more, each and every day. Ten years from now, maybe I'll be right there with you being bitter and resentful about the generation that's coming up after mine, and how their expectations are totally different than either of ours.

It is..... as long as you're not put out by it, challenged, or inconvenienced in any way? OK...

I expect to be challenged, and I've probably caused myself far more inconvenience by not even bothering to apply to any college with a residency requirement and by refusing to even consider living in a dorm.

Perhaps the people running the ship know a bit more than you? Perhaps they think that living with someone you might not *choose* to live with for just a few years in a situation you'll likely never have to be in again is a good life experience (learning how to cooperate, because for flying fuck's sake, when you get into the work force, you won't be able to isolate yourself with the people you like at the desk you like with the amenities you like.)

There are plenty of ways to get that good life experience - and for that matter, plenty of ways for a college to force people out of their comfort zones - that don't involve leaving who you are going to be sleeping with for several months up to some bored paper pusher in Admissions or Residence Life.

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't expect to be forced out of your comfort zone one way or another in college, I'm saying that 'forcible random roommate assignments' goes far, far beyond 'forcing you out of your comfort zone.'

Yes, it's an administrative policy and has nothing to do with architecture, but it's a shitty administrative policy and it needs to be done away with.

And hell, plenty of students commute. Whatever you come up with to force students out of their comfort zones that doesn't involve taking away their control over who they share living space with is certainly going to benefit them, too, isn't it? Net win for everyone!

Back