The Apartments at 525 Huntington Ave @ Wentworth | 525 Huntington Ave | Fenway

Also, I just took a peek at the webcam and the parapet is completely up all the way around. They are really cooking with this one!

1315E722-7E7C-4DE3-8F05-0D08A07F745E_zpsmp653zvw.jpg

FB3951F9-79F0-4C34-88BF-65E34E129929_zps8euqpbcb.jpg

Ouch. The windows looked better in the renders. I guess they need a few years to weather and they'll probably look cool.

The teal panels on the bottom of the windows look nice, but I don't think the entire window frame should have been that color.

Still very impressed at the speed the facade was erected at...

Also: Off-topic, but DD, is that the Helix Fossil?

Going on a hard hat tour! So excited! (No public)

Wentworth alumni are cordially invited to a
Reception and Hard Hat tour of the 525 Huntington Ave Residence Hall ~ Wentworth’s newest addition
Hosted by the Wentworth Alumni Association (WAA)

Tuesday, April 8
5:30 p.m.

^Agreed. And I feel like that roofline is screaming for a cornice.

Yikes. This building seems to be a swing and a miss. Sad considering how its neighbor, Triple 5 (555 Huntington Ave), is actually a fairly decent building (has a cornice, window bays, etc). Value Engineering got the best of this building. The roof line is I think the biggest offender. Heck, I'd take one of Wentworth's beloved copper roofs just slapped on top. Anything!

You guys are over reacting. It's fine, it will blend in nicely. The added density and street presence will be good for Huntington.

On that note, is the ground floor commercial spacel? I might have missed that info.

You guys are over reacting. It's fine, it will blend in nicely. The added density and street presence will be good for Huntington.

On that note, is the ground floor commercial spacel? I might have missed that info.

No, Wentworth tried retail in Triple 5 and it didn't work out (became the WIT Center for Community Learning & Partnerships), so they appear to have just given up on the hope of ground floor retail. The only ground floor program other than housing is some collaborative project space.

Ground floor on page 47:
http://wit.edu/imp/docs/Wentworth-PIR-9-26-12.pdf

PagesfromWentworth-PIR-9-26-12_zpsc00d3a4b.png

I will ask about why there is no ground floor retail at the hardhat tour on April 8.

Yikes. This building seems to be a swing and a miss.

Yup. The faux copper below the windows is nice (and I was really excited when it went up), but the windows themselves are terrible; in color, recessed depth, and proportion. Almost ever other building on the block has double-hungs, they couldn't do that here? And god does it need a cornice. COME ON!

It's not bad, but it could be solid with only a few modifications.

Yup. The faux copper below the windows is nice (and I was really excited when it went up), but the windows themselves are terrible; in color, recessed depth, and proportion. Almost ever other building on the block has double-hungs, they couldn't do that here? And god does it need a cornice. COME ON!

It's not bad, but it could be solid with only a few modifications.

There are many pressures that keep dorms from having operable windows (especially double hung). I agree that they could have replicated the look, but at that point I would argue why one would do that.

the glass is starting to go up on the solid glass sections

There are many pressures that keep dorms from having operable windows (especially double hung). I agree that they could have replicated the look, but at that point I would argue why one would do that.

It will never cease to amaze me that we have become so terrible at raising children that we cant even trust college students around *gasp* operable windows.

Also, I just hate casements with a fiery, burning passion.

It will never cease to amaze me that we have become so terrible at raising children that we cant even trust college students around *gasp* operable windows.

Eh alcohol does a hell of a job impairing people's ability to think reasonably about their actions. That said, the last dorm I lived in, which was brand new a few years ago had operable windows and it was about the same height as this building.

It's mainly about suicide, but also about people throwing things out of the windows. I lived in Baker Hall my freshman year at WIT and we had an incident where the idiots on the 5th floor were throwing frozen bread (not even kidding) down at the sidewalk & vehicles on Huntington Ave itself. After that incident, the windows were all rigged so that you can't open them more than a couple inches.

http://www.universalhub.com/node/23255

Back