The New Retail Thread

The Marshalls at 500 Boylston in the Back Bay is set to close this June and Wayfair's first showroom / brick-and-mortar location could take its place. [BBJ]

This makes a ton of sense: Boylston St in the heart of the Back Bay is a pretty pricey stretch for a Marshalls and Wayfair's coporate offices are literally right upstairs. And speaking personally, I'd be way more likely to buy furniture from Wayfair if I could check it out in a showroom first.

The Marshalls at 500 Boylston in the Back Bay is set to close this June and Wayfair's first showroom / brick-and-mortar location could take its place. [BBJ]

This makes a ton of sense: Boylston St in the heart of the Back Bay is a pretty pricey stretch for a Marshalls and Wayfair's coporate offices are literally right upstairs. And speaking personally, I'd be way more likely to buy furniture from Wayfair if I could check it out in a showroom first.

Agreed, but this isn't Crate & Barrel where they have a very limited set of items and most are in every store. Wayfair has a MASSIVE catalog - will be interested to see how they do! But agreed, it's unique and will draw more people.

Agreed, but this isn't Crate & Barrel where they have a very limited set of items and most are in every store. Wayfair has a MASSIVE catalog - will be interested to see how they do! But agreed, it's unique and will draw more people.

Agreed. And a lot of the cheaper items come from obscure 3rd parties, so I doubt they'd be in the showroom. But I will absolutely check it out. My biggest issue with Wayfair has been products not matching photos/descriptions.

Wayfair is now denying reports they are opening a store.

Where'd you see that?

Globe article:

"The Boston Business Journal first reported the Marshalls store closing on Monday, which also reported that Wayfair was been floated as a potential replacement tenant at a local real estate event last week. But a spokesperson for the online retailer said the reports about a brick and mortar store were not accurate, and the company is not planning to open anything at the Marshalls location."

This shouldn't carry any weight but I recently asked a couple of friends who work there about this rumor and one said they hadn't heard anything about it, while the other said they thought brick and mortar was some time away (they said few years). Also said they'd probably have heard if it were going to be the Back Bay Marshall's. Neither of them are in the right department to know for sure though, so idk what that's worth.

That Marshalls takes up quite a bit of square footage, right? If so, I wonder what it would take to fill up the void. Another gym? A City Target?

That Marshalls takes up quite a bit of square footage, right? If so, I wonder what it would take to fill up the void. Another gym? A City Target?

City Target would crush it in Back Bay. That would be awesome!

We still need a Nordstrom (regular one, not Rack) in the city, as well.

Apparently Wayfair is in fact opening a bricks and mortar store at 500 Boylston. From Bisnow:

The TJX Cos. revealed Monday it will close its Back Bay Marshalls at 500 Boylston St. in early June, but the space will not be empty for long. Boston-based online home goods retailer Wayfair plans to open its first brick-and-mortar showroom in the Marshalls space, the Boston Business Journal reports. The retail move is expected to accompany a 400K SF office expansion spread across 500 Boylston and 222 Berkeley St. The connected towers are owned by Oxford Properties Group.

Apparently Wayfair is in fact opening a bricks and mortar store at 500 Boylston. From Bisnow:

PSA: Bisnow is not a proper journalistic outfit; it's basically just a blog. Think of it as archBoston where contributors use their real names instead of screen names. Just about anybody can contribute to it and they don't have real reporters. Almost all of their content is recycled from other publications. They do also have some "roundtable" type articles that just restate the answers that various (random) individuals give to standardized questions.

Note that the article you cited includes no new news or information; it just cites/restates what's in the original BBJ article which we've previously discussed (note: the BBJ is indeed a real journalistic outfit with real researchers and reporters).

That Bisnow article confirms nothing, as Bisnow articles never confirm anything. It only regurgitates old news.

I did hear the same thing on WBUR yesterday morning.

Sam Adams to open a taproom near Boston’s Faneuil Hall
Link

This is perfect. Put all the Boston kitsch in one place, plus they already have free advertisement right out front.

Damn the Natick Kellys closed.

That was back in January. Since then, the Paparazzi across Route 9 also closed and the British Beer Company (terrible food but decent tap list, at least for the immediate area) announced that it is closing too. Lots of closings in the Route 9 area of Framingham over the last few months. Sad how few decent restaurants there are in that area given the tens of thousands of people who drive by every day whether to commute or shop.

Back