YIMBYs!!!!!!

choo

Reaction score
We should think about forming a group like this. Take the feelings and idea on this board and put them into a group that shows people in power that density and height have appropriate places. This is to help formulate and articulate the mindset change that we always complain about. Forge a new history, and make boston the revolutionary, dynamic city that it once was.

http://features.csmonitor.com/globalnews/2009/11/09/sweden-enough-quaint-picturesque-homes-%e2%80%93-bring-on-the-high-rise/

Sweden: Enough quaint picturesque homes ? bring on the high-rise.

In Stockholm, Sweden, a new 'Yes in My Backyard' group is celebrating urban growth.
By Tom Sullivan | Correspondent 11.09.09

* Print this
* Buzz up!
* Email and share
* Republish
* Get e-mail alerts
* RSS

Tom Sullivan

The Stockholm Waterfront development (left) towers over the city.

STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN ? When plans for a new high-rise development in downtown Stockholm were unveiled last month, the critics predictably lined up to slam them. But there were also those who enthusiastically embraced the project, indicating a sea change in how Stockholm residents view their city.

The Swedish capital straddles more than a dozen islands on the edge of the Baltic Sea and is better known for picturesque waterscapes, unruly green areas, and quaint 18th-century buildings, than for its dynamic business district.

Yet Stockholm is one of the fastest growing urban areas in Northern Europe. Its 2 million inhabitants increased by 300,000 over the past decade.

The new development, Stockholm Waterfront, has come under fire from conservationists largely because of its height ? twice the city average, and with a 25-story tower block. Following the controversial demolition of part of the downtown in the 1960s, public outrage forced a freeze on major building projects, which has only recently begun to thaw. The extensive urban makeover will radically raise the average height of city center buildings ? and the population density. At least 80,000 new apartments are in the pipeline between now and 2030.

It?s progress being cheered by a group calling themselves YIMBY (Yes In My Backyard).

?We?re positive about the city growing ? we?re happy to have new neighbors and more bars and restaurants and plazas,? says Anders Gardebring, cofounder of YIMBY, a pressure group promoting urbanism and citizen participation.

?Look at this area,? he adds, gesturing to a newly developed square juxtaposed with a glass- and steel-fronted hotel and pastel-colored 18th-century buildings. ?No one used to walk around here until a few months ago, even though it?s right in the center. It was derelict, but now there?s plenty of life.?

Gustav Sv?rd, also of YIMBY, believes the 4,000-strong group represents a silent majority who welcome change. ?Politicians realize that Stockholmers want to live in a dynamic city, not in a town stuck in limbo.?

How do we form a group that can be recognized by the city. I know this idea has been tossed around a lot but we never did anything more than suggest the idea. What I'm wondering is, how can we get more influential. Have John Keith be our leader?

How do we form a group that can be recognized by the city. I know this idea has been tossed around a lot but we never did anything more than suggest the idea. What I'm wondering is, how can we get more influential. Have John Keith be our leader?

The problem is that many people here are armchair warriors or simply live abroad. It's incredibly difficult to get people to actually come out and take a stand for those reasons.

No, the problem is that the system has an inbuilt bias in favor of people who have the time and energy to turn out at physical meetings...which is why the city's development tends to be shaped by whiny, conservative olds.

Plus, let's face it, rarely does anyone go to these meetings unless they're upset by the proposed development and want their complaints heard. What's the motivation to drag yourself there to be a cheerleader?

So the assumption that these are in any way representative needs to be changed - although what they would be replaced with, I have no idea.

How these people finagle their ways onto boards is beyond me. If I had a salary like Vivian Li does, I'd do it in a sec. The cupboards are bare, unfortunately. (And it doesn't always work out, for example, Barbara Anderson at Citizens for Limited Taxation - they're broke.) But, even amongst those who are "reasonable" or "pro-development", there's bound to be dissent - see the Shreve Crump & Low building, for example.

Thanks for the shout-out.

Board memberships = connections.

We should think about forming a group like this. Take the feelings and idea on this board and put them into a group that shows people in power that density and height have appropriate places. This is to help formulate and articulate the mindset change that we always complain about. Forge a new history, and make boston the revolutionary, dynamic city that it once was.

http://features.csmonitor.com/globalnews/2009/11/09/sweden-enough-quaint-picturesque-homes-%e2%80%93-bring-on-the-high-rise/

How do we form a group that can be recognized by the city. I know this idea has been tossed around a lot but we never did anything more than suggest the idea. What I'm wondering is, how can we get more influential.

Hi guys! I'm Swede from SkyscraperPage/City aka Gustav Sv?rd - co-founder of and spokesperson for YIMBY.se I found this thread while ego-googling :D
Here's how we started out:
step1. have an idea for it in the Stockholm thread on SSC.
step2. start separate thread on SSC's NordBalt forum
step3. start facebook group.
step4. set up website
step5. somewhat activly persue media attention. letters to editors, actively participate on news-sites' discussion pages.
step6. ???
step7. international media and being on first-name basis with city council members (we have 100 of 'em!).

/questions anyone?

I can join a Facebook group. Doubtful on the letters to editors for me.

Swede, Americans may be Joiners, but I'm not so sure about Active Participants!

I requested it, hopefully you can figure out that my last name and my screen name are eerily...the same.

when u join Fb/AB do you have to sign in as urself,then dos'e everyone have access to ur Fb page or are we joining as another person? hope that makes sense?:

I also sent a request. My first name is Matt.

02124, it's just a group, so no one can see your profile other than those you are friends with, depending on your privacy settings. The only thing anyone can see is your "public profile," which is usually just your picture, your network, and a sampling of friends and mutual friends.

right I'm already on face book ,so we'll be Identifing ourselfs or will this be seperate from our regular account.

I'm making everyone an admin so that everyone can make events and such. Also, I posted something on the discussion page on what we should do next. Feel free to add more suggestions.

Last edited:
I can join a Facebook group. Doubtful on the letters to editors for me.
Don't at least one Boston newspaper have an on-line comments function for their articles? I've made several comments in such that made it into the print editions (both in Metro and it's competitor here).

Swede, Americans may be Joiners, but I'm not so sure about Active Participants!
This website proves there's at least one Bostonian who can get something started :D

I'm making everyone an admin so that everyone can make events and such.
I checked the link and it says there are no admins left in the group! wassup with that?

on a completely un-related note I found a Boston edition of Metro on the subway here in Stockholm a few years back. It had a pic of Acela on the cover so at first I was wondering how that made it into the Stockholm edition, then I saw it was the Boston edition... randomness quota filled for a week!

Back