justin

Reaction score
This baby needs a new thread, so here's Campbel's apercu from today's Globe:
The Boston Globe
ARCHITECTURE
Alone on the waterfront in South Boston, the unfinished ICA is a bold presence
Museum, slated to open in Sept., dominates its site
By Robert Campbell, Globe Correspondent | May 28, 2006
Sometimes a building looks best while it's still in the process of being built. A bold construction of steel and concrete can possess a sculptural power that sometimes fades when smoother, more polite finishes are applied.

It's a legend in the world of architecture that today's best known American architect, Frank Gehry of Los Angeles, who designed MIT's dramatic Stata Center, long ago looked at one of his buildings under construction and suddenly decided it looked great that way. He responded by attacking his conventional pink stucco house in Santa Monica, wrapping it with what appeared to be unfinished construction, much of it junk materials. Chain-link fencing was used for skylights, driveway asphalt paved the dining room floor, and exposed metal and glass erupted at crazy angles.

The resulting house was a delight. Daylight fell in patterns through the chain link. It was fascinating to see the demure pink dwelling surrounded by apparent chaos. Visiting was like finding your grandmother in a madman's cage. The house made Gehry famous.
These thoughts came to mind on a recent tour of the new Institute of Contemporary Art, being built on the South Boston Waterfront. I'm not saying the ICA looks better now than it will when it opens Sept. 17. But it looks and feels great, even -- maybe especially -- when enveloped by wind-driven rain and choppy seas.

For one thing, in all the recent bad weather, it felt big and strong, breasting the elements with ease. A lot of people were worried that the ICA, on an edge of Boston Harbor with nothing much around it, would look exposed, isolated, and lonely. Not so. The building dominates its site in a way I hadn't predicted, nor had Jill Medvedow , the ICA's director, who gave me the tour.

The upper floor, which contains the main gallery space, thrusts out above the Harbor Walk and the water, with nothing to hold it up except its structural muscle of steel trusses. It's a bold gesture that enables the building to take command of its site.
To get factual, the ICA has about the same floor area as three floors of a typical downtown office building. The only people who don't think it looks big are the architects, Diller Scofidio + Renfro, a New York firm long known for innovative art projects, and more recently for innovative architecture.

Liz Diller, on the phone, sounds amazed. ``The ICA will be dwarfed by the new buildings that will be built around it," she says. She seems to think of her building as a pet: ``You can sort of hold it in your hand." But she doesn't want it gentle, either. ``We want it to remain rough and tough," she says. A pet iguana, maybe.

The building will never again look quite so bold as it does now. The wood-paved Harbor Walk, when it reaches the ICA, will widen out and tilt up to form a seating slope -- ``the grandstand," the architects call it -- where visitors, perhaps picnicking, will sit outdoors, sheltered by the galleries above, to enjoy the view of boats and harbor. White-painted drywall will cover the columns and beams and the great steel trusses. But the point of the building, of course, is to show art, not to show off itself.

One detail has been controversial. On the seaward side of those top-floor galleries, the architects proposed a lenticular glass wall. Such a wall would be clear and transparent when you looked straight at it, but at both sides, where you'd be seeing it at an angle, the view would gradually blur. The view would thus follow you as you walked along the wall, clearing and fading.

Diller says that everywhere in the building, she tried to frame the view in different ways and sizes. ``The
building calibrates the view; it serves it up in small doses," she says. She thinks looking at the whole harbor all the time might be boring. The lenticular wall would unfold the view gradually. The building would not be passive, but would actively respond to the view.
The ICA's leaders killed the lenticular wall, not for reasons of cost but because they couldn't resist opening up the whole seascape panorama at once. But the lenticular wall was basic to the architectural concept. The panoramic view is great, to be sure, but something has been lost. Visitors to an art museum don't want to become passive oglers of scenery.
The new building is a huge step for the ICA. It is triple the size of the converted police station the organization long occupied on Boylston Street in the Back Bay. There's space for classrooms, a computer room, a generous lobby, a store, a small theater. Almost the entire construction cost of $40 million has been raised, although more will surely be needed to endow maintenance and operations. The museum has also begun to build the permanent collection it has never had. It hopes to become, says Medvedow, `` a museum of the 21st century."

Someday the new ICA will have an architectural context. It will cease to stand all by itself. Developer Steve Karp has gained government approval for the redevelopment of Pier 4, just across a narrow slip of water from the ICA. Karp says he'll develop a new park where Anthony Athanas's landmark restaurant, Anthony's Pier 4, now stands. Farther in on the pier, opposite the ICA, will be a hotel, offices, restaurants, shops, and condos, for a total of a little more than a million square feet of floor area -- as compared with the ICA's 65,000. On the ICA's other side, the long-delayed Fan Pier project is moving forward under developer Joseph Fallon.

When all that architecture (yeah right -- justin) is in place, the ICA's bold, memorable shape will be needed to keep it visible. The building will become a brand logo for the museum. In the meantime, the September opening promises to be, certainly, the architectural event of the year in Boston.
Robert Campbell, the Globe's architecture critic, can be reached at camglobe@aol.com.
I'm sorry to see that lenticular wall gone (the glass did look transparent in the last update on the late forum); it sounded like a cool idea. On the other hand, it might have been frustrating to go up there and not be able to take in the whole view. Maybe they could have made it opaque on the sides and transparent in the middle, or switchable?

construction_ss_founders.jpg

In any case, I can't wait to see it finished. It already exceeds Boston's quota of great architecture for the 21st century.

justin

Great pictures! Thanks for posting them. I haven't been down there to see it. It's the building I'm most excited about!

I remember seeing the model for this building years ago and thinking "WTF?! They can't be serious."

Now I think it is one of the most attractive buildings in the city. I can't wait for it to be done.

Also, I think it will look even more stunning when it is juxtaposed against all the crap that is being built in the SBW.

I can't decide if I agree with the decision to fore go the "lenticular glass" or not. I think it will turn out to be a good decision -- on the other hand, I think it would be an interesting exhibition, sometime in the future (1 year, 5 year anniversary?) to deploy the as-designed glass.

I, too, continue to be really impressed with this building -- definitely the best execution of the "fold" concept I've seen so far.

ckb said:
I, too, continue to be really impressed with this building -- definitely the best execution of the "fold" concept I've seen so far.

I agree, infact I really hate the "fold" concept but this is really nice.

The Globe said:
ICA says goodbye to a home that was a little too humble

By Geoff Edgers, Globe Staff | June 3, 2006

It is a charming building, the sandstone face a perfect match for the Back Bay. But for too many years, the Institute of Contemporary Art has been known not for what it is, but what it lacks.

Without a storage area, the ICA had to close for weeks between shows. Without a loading dock, workers had to shuffle art through the front door. A few months ago, an exhibition featuring the work of Thomas Hirschhorn had to be shut down for a time because of fire code violations.

Tonight, with little fanfare, the ICA will host its final event inside the Boylston Street space it called home for more than 30 years. The New Group, made up of ICA supporters largely in their 30s and 40s, is having a party, with the theme "Past, Present, and Future."

Then the ICA will vacate the troublesome building, except for keeping a few offices there until the museum's new $51 million home on Boston's waterfront opens in September.

"I kept wondering, `Are we going to have a closing event, a final one that really closes the building?' " said Tim Obetz, an ICA employee who has worked on exhibits since 1988 . "But trying to close one building and sort of synchronize that whole thing with the new one, I think, was too much."

"I'm sure there will be many private moments as we clean out," said ICA director Jill Medvedow. "But all of our energy is focused on opening in September."

The New Group isn't ignoring the old ICA. The party's co-chairwoman, Lucy Moon, 19 months old when the ICA moved to Boylston Street, said organizers picked through photos and films in the museum's archives. They're being turned into a video loop, which will be projected throughout the galleries during the party.

This is to remind attendees that the ICA's history didn't begin when Diller, Scofidio + Renfro was commissioned to design its sleek new building.

``This is where they finally settle down," says Moon, 32. ``We're trying to recognize that."

Medvedow says she's going to miss the gray, slate roof she looks out on from her office. Obetz thinks of the 2003 Carsten Holler show, when a 62-foot steel slide was installed in the museum for visitors to ride.

He also remembers the succession of street people, including Walter Smith and ``Jack," who took up residence behind the building, in an alley sheltered from the rain and heated by the ICA's fans.

``The new space will obviously be a better space to display art," says Obetz. ``But certain elements will be lost. The last show that was up here, the design show `Living in Motion: Design and Architecture for Flexible Dwelling,' I think it'll be much more difficult to make that successful in our new gallery space. The designer came up with these curved walls in the different sections that made it dynamic and interesting."

None of the ICA's limitations mattered much in May 1975, when 1,500 people packed the opening party, which was hosted by the future Senator John Kerry's first wife, Julia.

Since its founding in 1936, the ICA had moved 10 times, sometimes after only a year. Back then, it seemed to have found a proper space. ``Three times [larger] than what the Institute has been used to," director Gabriella Jeppson said when it opened in 1975 .

Cambridge architect Graham Gund had converted the shuttered Back Bay Police Station No. 16 into a space suitable for art. It was a strange job. When he reported to the site, Gund found that the police were still tying their horses to a neighboring building.

Also, one corner of the ICA building had settled, the result of the MBTA tunnel underneath. That made it impossible to remove the many columns installed for support. Gund designed the central staircase to incorporate some of the columns.

``In the end, I think it worked out very well for its time, and they had quite a good run," says Gund. ``For some of the things they want to do today, you want more square footage. Now they want to collect art and have their own collection. But that [Back Bay] building is in a great location."

In that home, the ICA had problems operating almost immediately. While Medvedow has raised almost all of the $62 million for the current fund-raising campaign, the old ICA was so strapped for cash it had to install rugs instead of wooden floors in some spaces. Debt piled up, and two years after the museum opened on Boylston Street, Jeppson (now De Ferrari) resigned to go back to school, studying art at Harvard.

``We had no money, no endowment, no capital gifts," she said. ``We were always in debt. I don't remember one day when we didn't have to worry about money."

Judith Fox (then Hoos), exhibitions curator in 1975 and 1976, also found the building a challenge. ``There was no loading dock, there was no freight elevator, so all the art had to come through the front door," she said. ``There was no storage space, so you had to have long gaps between exhibitions. Then there's the big stairway in the center, which was a whole lot of fun for people watching but didn't give you control of light and as much gallery space as was needed." Still, the space was an improvement over previous homes.

Fox said she is interested in the new ICA. As for the old ICA, she won't miss that space as a museum. ``I don't think anyone is going to," she said.

Geoff Edgers can be reached at gedgers@globe.com.
Link

I walked by the building a few weeks ago. It looked really cool. I hope it inspires that area to become developed. I think I'm going to re-open the McCourt land thread on that subject

ICA in much grimmer conditions:

ICA0624-01.jpg

ICA0624-02.jpg

How does the cardboard box fill in the gap between art and life? Can a box _represent_ a box and yet also _be_ a box? Are these boxes real, or merely carefully worked in encaustic? Alternatively, could these boxes be praised as a slapdash, broadly painted collage of paper, oil, print, and cardboard?

Oh, wait, the museum isn't open yet, I guess its just a bunch of boxes...

ICA0624-03.jpg

ICA0624-04.jpg

ICA0624-05.jpg

ICA0624-06.jpg

Please don't tell me that the stuff on the roof is permanent. It must be going away before the opening, right??

could be art

DowntownDave said:
How does the cardboard box fill in the gap between art and life? Can a box _represent_ a box and yet also _be_ a box? Are these boxes real, or merely carefully worked in encaustic? Alternatively, could these boxes be praised as a slapdash, broadly painted collage of paper, oil, print, and cardboard?

Oh, wait, the museum isn't open yet, I guess its just a bunch of boxes...

don't be so sure that it's not art:
http://www.mfa.org/collections/sear...coll_sort_order=0&coll_package=0&coll_start=1

The stuff on the roof is indeed permanent, but the renderings seem to show it concealed by an opaque cover.

Maybe I'll pile a bunch of boxes together and see if I can sell them to the MFA as a tribute to the 'soulless life of the office worker' :)

Museum sees weeks-long construction delay

By Geoff Edgers, Globe Staff | August 4, 2006

The Institute of Contemporary Art will announce today that construction delays have forced it to postpone next month's opening of its $51 million home on the South Boston waterfront.

Director Jill Medvedow said yesterday that the remaining work involved dozens of minor details, including such matters as floor finishes and the installation of lights, and not major construction problems.

But the decision has the ICA scrambling to reschedule programs, exhibitions, and parties once set to kick off Sept. 10. ICA officials would not give a new date for the opening, but said the delay would last ``weeks, not months," according to Steve Corkin, chairman of the building committee.

Medvedow made the decision to postpone on Wednesday, two days after she received a progress report from construction managers. She told the 36-member board of trustees of the decision yesterday in a noon conference call.

``Our building is beautiful, it's close to completion, and it works," Medvedow said in an interview. ``But you only get one chance to make a first impression. When we open, we are going to hit the ground running. In the long life of this building, this is a very insignificant and brief hiccup."

ICA trustees would not describe the work that remains. But they said that the stakes are high for the project, the first new museum in Boston in nearly a century and the first major project to be built in the United States by architects Diller Scofidio + Renfro .

Slated until now to open to the public on Sept. 17 after a week of events for donors and civic leaders, the 62,000-square-foot building represents a dramatic upgrade from the ICA's cramped former space on Boylston Street. Defined by its glass exterior and an 80-foot cantilever stretching toward the ocean, the museum triples the ICA's gallery space and allows it to collect art for the first time.

``To me, it would be a shame to go this far with such a great building and an important building, and open a building that isn't perfect," said Nick Winton, an ICA trustee and a member the 12-person building committee.

Many of the high-profile design features -- the 166-square-foot glass elevator, the 325-seat theater -- would have been finished by Sept. 10, various building committee members said.

In interviews yesterday, ICA officials, architect Ricardo Scofidio, and construction company manager John Macomber said that the remaining work was not major. Among the pending tasks -- termed ``minutiae" by one ICA trustee -- was the need to test the building's ticket counter and climate control system.

``The feeling was, we can't postpone it much later than now," Paul Buttenwieser, chairman of the ICA board of trustees, said yesterday. ``If we're wrong now . . . all we have is a few weeks' delay. If we're wrong [later], we're in a lot of hot water."

The decision to postpone was not difficult, Winton said.

The time difference between our planned opening and the [new] opening was short enough that we didn't feel it was that big a negative," he said. ``The biggest negative would be to open without being able to enjoy or really show off the building."

The ICA has been the lone bright spot of development on Fan Pier, a 21-acre parcel between the John Joseph Moakley US Courthouse and Anthony's Pier 4 restaurant.

Long owned by the Pritzker family of Chicago, the land has been used mostly for parking, though local developer Joseph F. Fallon, who recently purchased it, hopes to begin building a hotel, residential, and office buildings next year.

The ICA, founded in 1936 and nearly bankrupt at times during the mid-1990s, has been able to raise more than $60 million for the museum project. Over the last five years, its membership has increased from fewer than 500 to 2,500.

The opening week was to have included special donor galas, member previews, and the Sept. 17 grand opening to the public. ICA officials said all those events would be rescheduled once the opening date is announced. The same exhibitions planned for September will open later in the fall.

In addition, performances scheduled for the theater this fall will also take place on the new schedule. ICA officials said the new opening week would include an additional evening gathering to accommodate the greater number of people joining as members.

``We're lucky that the invitations for a lot of the events hadn't gone to print," said Barbara Lee, a trustee and member of the building committee. ``It's really no big deal. Anybody who has ever renovated a bathroom or a kitchen knows that things take longer than were expected. It's definitely a disappointment that we're not opening exactly on time. But we're still going to be pretty close here."

ICA board members said that they began to sense a potential problem with the schedule as early as last year.

In October, the ICA hired an owner's representative to oversee the work being done by Macomber. The ICA replaced Seamus Henchy & Associates, a New York company, with Skanska USA Building Inc., which had employees based in Boston.

Late Monday afternoon, Skanska delivered its progress report to Medvedow, a ``punch list" that she said made her realize the ICA might need to delay its opening.

In interviews, Medvedow and members of the building committee said that they didn't hold Macomber responsible.

``Macomber, our architects, Skanska, and the ICA have worked together very cooperatively to get the building done," Corkin said.

The ICA isn't the first cultural institution to face a delay. The Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, for example, wasn't dedicated until 2003, a decade after its planned opening. Boston's Museum of Fine Arts, in the midst of a massive expansion plan, has already moved the opening date of the project once, from 2007 to 2009.

``The long-term implications are zero," said former ICA director David Ross, who has also served as the director of the Whitney Museum of American Art and San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. ``In the short term, a lot of people are going to have to change their travel plans."

? Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company

Anybody know if the Hynnes/ICA subway station will be renamed?

Yes, it will be changed ...

To Auditorium.

Key laughter track.

The Globe said:
ICA progressing, but no opening date yet

By Geoff Edgers, Globe Staff | August 17, 2006

``Look at that," Melissa Kuronen said as she stood on the fourth floor of the still- unfinished Institute of Contemporary Art earlier this week. ``Lights on the stairs."

Downstairs, construction workers hammered and drilled. Charles Renfro, one of the building's architects, took a final walk-through before scooting to Logan for a flight back to New York. Upstairs, Kuronen, the ICA's director of communications, took stock of one of the many changes made in the few days since she last toured the space. That's when she noticed the guide lights had been installed on the concrete steps in the museum's so-called `` media tech" space.

``Every time I come back here, I feel like they're making huge strides," said Paul Bessire, the ICA's deputy director for external relations, who was standing nearby.

But not enough progress, he conceded. That's why the ICA recently postponed its planned September opening until later in the fall. Much of the explaining has fallen to Bessire and Kuronen who, between them, have given dozens of tours of the ICA's new building over the summer.

``People have been totally understanding," said Bessire. ``You just don't want to open up a museum until it's done."

The ICA still isn't prepared to give a new opening date. There are hints, though, that its leaders are cautiously hopeful that, come late October or early November, the $51 million waterfront space on the Fan Pier, with its glass walls and cantilever stretching to the ocean, can finally open for business.

One way to gauge the timetable: Those scheduled to play at the new ICA through October were being asked to either reschedule or find another place to appear in town. Performers on the calendar for November were, as of this week, asked to stay put.

``It's not great when you book a season and you have to change your plans, but this isn't the first time it's happened," said Rachel Cohen, the booking agent for Les Ballets Jazz de Montreal, a company originally scheduled for October.

The company will instead premiere a new work by choreographer Aszure Barton in upstate New York, then repeat the piece at the new ICA at a rescheduled appearance in the spring.

Other arrangements have also been made for Brazilian singer Cibelle, originally set to play the ICA on Sept. 21. Instead, she will perform at the Somerville Theatre that night. World Music/CRASHarts, which is presenting events at the new ICA during its 2006-07 season, is also working to find another venue for the Bebe Miller Company, originally set to perform Sept. 28- 30 at the ICA.

Inside the new building this week, it was clear that much work has to be done before opening. There were signs of progress. The upstairs galleries need merely to have the concrete floors polished. Stylish steel railings have been installed on the central stairway. The orange seats are in place in the 325-seat theater.

On the other hand, the central glass elevator, 166 square feet, was only partially built. The majority of the ceilings on the first floor were exposed, still in need of drywall. Dirty clay lay where the floor of the gift shop should be, and many details -- rails on the outdoor grandstand, glass doors meant to border the outside patio, a ticket desk -- hadn't yet been put in place.

Walking through the upstairs gallery, Bessire was asked if there were days when he wondered if, perhaps, the ICA should have tried to push for its original September opening. No, he said.

``We want to be sure we open strong," he said.

As he spoke, the din of construction began to die down. It was mid-afternoon, when the construction crews typically wrap up for the day. Could the ICA have finished up by pushing the workers into overtime?

That wasn't an option. The ICA, Bessire said, is pleased to have raised more than $60 million, putting it less than $2 million from its fund-raising goal. That doesn't mean it's willing to go over budget, a certainty if it had paid for overtime to open in September.

Link

Back