Parcel Q1 | 2 Drydock Ave. | Seaport

goldenretrievers

Reaction score
Giving this project its own thread, now that many of the nearby parcels have been breaking ground and this one is approved.

Parcel Q1

The Proposed Project calls for the construction of an approximately 298,700 square foot, 13-story commercial building that includes approximately 8,400 sf of ground floor retail. The Proposed Project will also include approximately 150 parking spaces.

Site

29322738515_d201a4e87f_b.jpg

28701917783_6cc692b89e_b.jpg

29322737225_81d63432d4_b.jpg

Photo1_21.png

29322734825_0c4bef72aa_b.jpg

29322734745_96a0f9a8fb_b.jpg

Re: Parcel Q1 | 10 Drydock Ave. | Seaport

Something needs to be done to improve the Silver Line. It's already overcrowded.

The western part of the Seaport and Fort Point are a reasonable walk from South Station. This is not.

Anyway I don't get the desire to build way out here. It's a pain to get to unless you live in Southie or can pay for parking (which with the new developments can get expensive fast).

Is the city hoping that self driving cars with good carpooling will be out in a few years to solve lots of transit/traffic/parking problems?

Something needs to be done to improve the Silver Line. It's already overcrowded.

The western part of the Seaport and Fort Point are a reasonable walk from South Station. This is not.

Anyway I don't get the desire to build way out here. It's a pain to get to unless you live in Southie or can pay for parking (which with the new developments can get expensive fast).

Is the city hoping that self driving cars with good carpooling will be out in a few years to solve lots of transit/traffic/parking problems?

You mean like converting it to light rail maybe? I just don't get the idea of bus not-rapid transit. I mean, it's a big bus mostly segregated from regular traffic. With no other advantages other than that, and it's not even 100% segregated from regular traffic.

You mean like converting it to light rail maybe? I just don't get the idea of bus not-rapid transit. I mean, it's a big bus mostly segregated from regular traffic. With no other advantages other than that, and it's not even 100% segregated from regular traffic.

Long term solution should be light rail, though the extent of the tunnel is weak for a train.

Easy immediate solution is buying more big busses. There is plenty of capacity in the transitway. Not enough vehicles.

I'm not transit expert but I have always wondered why the SL buses go so so so slow in the tunnels. They are one way tunnels with no traffic. Why do they have to go 10mph? I assume there is a good reason but they just crawl through those tunnels.

Don't forget, Track 61 goes right in front of this building--it would take a mint to fix it up but it's rail to the Marine Park.

The entire seaport is turning into a huge jobs center, enough to rival downtown/back bay. Yet the transit is so woefully inadequate.

Commercial/office are more dense (as in trips per square foot) and requires more public transit then comparable sized residential buildings imho.

I'm not transit expert but I have always wondered why the SL buses go so so so slow in the tunnels. They are one way tunnels with no traffic. Why do they have to go 10mph? I assume there is a good reason but they just crawl through those tunnels.

The tunnels are narrower than they may seem from a passenger's POV.

It's difficult to increase speed without increasing the chance of a bus jumping the curb on either side and slamming into a wall.

I believe the Globe sent a reporter through the MBTA bus simulator a while back, and they said none of it was easy (especially given that they weren't a professional bus driver) but the simulated SL tunnel was a nightmare.

None of this would've been an issue if they had made the transitway wider, but $$$. Realistically, each tunnel should be two lanes wide with one-way traffic driving down the middle at 40 mph.

The tunnels are narrower than they may seem from a passenger's POV.

It's difficult to increase speed without increasing the chance of a bus jumping the curb on either side and slamming into a wall.

I believe the Globe sent a reporter through the MBTA bus simulator a while back, and they said none of it was easy (especially given that they weren't a professional bus driver) but the simulated SL tunnel was a nightmare.

None of this would've been an issue if they had made the transitway wider, but $$$. Realistically, each tunnel should be two lanes wide with one-way traffic driving down the middle at 40 mph.

A few years back I got to do this too (actually posted pictures here but had to take them down). It was a blast, but it was VERY difficult in the tunnels. Almost impossible.

Its 2018. Weve had self-guided buses for 20 years (using cameras and a painted line)

Would conversion to light rail allow higher speeds as I suspect?

I'm not even sure what the point of the tunnel was if they limit speeds to 10mph. Might as well have made it surface bus routes, it would have probably been faster.

Would conversion to light rail allow higher speeds as I suspect?

Yes, because LRVs run on a fixed guideway. Short of derailment, there's no chance of them bumping the walls.

in a few years, the Silver Line will be like a bus ride with Winston Smith but with prettier buses.

1 post about the building and 16 posts about transportation. Typical archboston.

Back