The Economics of Building in Boston, Part 2

sidewalks

Reaction score
Economics

I know this is off topic...but I think Bobby Digital's comment about the economics of development is really important and interesting. It's widely known that our low interest rates- which is enabled by massive Asian investment in US treasuries- has been the driving force behind the real estate boom of the past decade.

If the Asians do cease investing in the US (which would be painful for them as well) and interest rates are forced up into the double digits, commercial and residential real estate values would crash.

I am afraid that it will eventually happen, but by and large people seem to ignore the prospect. It reminds me a bit of those who speculated that the 'new economy' was recession proof, and that astronomical valuations for revenue poor internet start-ups should be taken in stride.

Re: Economics

sidewalks said:
I know this is off topic...but I think Bobby Digital's comment about the economics of development is really important and interesting. It's widely known that our low interest rates- which is enabled by massive Asian investment in US treasuries- has been the driving force behind the real estate boom of the past decade.

i'm not an economist (actually a trained political economist -- which is like a trained seal, only different), but you are forgetting at least two things:

- the recent fear of deflation
- standard monetary policy counter balancing the business cycle

the asians' do hold a lot of treasury instruments, but nothing like as much as most people assume when you look at the whole. you're not wrong on that point, but there is often an order of magnitude on the loose in the discussion...

there's more interesting stuff down there in dem weeds, but it isn't very closely related to building...

singbat said:
sidewalks said:

i'm not an economist (actually a trained political economist -- which is like a trained seal, only different), but you are forgetting at least two things:

the asians' do hold a lot of treasury instruments, but nothing like as much as most people assume when you look at the whole. you're not wrong on that point, but there is often an order of magnitude on the loose in the discussion...

there's more interesting stuff down there in dem weeds, but it isn't very closely related to building...

the recent fear of deflation? I thought stagflation was more a concern at this point - high inflation with low economic growth. Deflation is usually a concern during recession, and we are not at the cusp of recession.

Liquidity in the market has been a major diver for low interest rates, and the prolonged credit cycle. Foreign investors have been seeking yield where-ever they can get it to support their currencies. The real problem will occur when the Yuan is devalued to where it should be.

Remember that China/Thailand/Malaysia/ect. right now is manufacturing stuff for American companies who then sell that product back to the US and the rest of the world. All the major capital is being made the by US companies, but Asia in turn receives investment in payment for the manufacturing (infrastructure & the fact otherwise poor farmers now have some disposable income).

In a few years, all those factory workers will have enough money to demand goods and services (look at every industrialized country 10-20 years into industrialization) and as a result Asian countries will develop a significant consumer market. The companies that form to serve that market will start putting orders into their own manufacturers causing manufacturing demand to go up. This will drive wages up over the limited supply of workers as well as due to the usual formation of labor movements and governments regulating safety/work rules.
All of a sudden there is no more cheap labor and US companies will have to either move the manufacturing elsewhere or pay more money.

Depending on the cost jobs will either move back to the US (happens first with higher tech or quality controlled stuff), or move to whatever poor undeveloped country is willing to work in exchange for investment (by the end of the next century every country that isn't a political basket case probably won't be poor anymore at the current rate of development).
Be really worried when Asian manufacturers make stuff for Asian companies than then sell products to the the US and abroad.

Back to Architecture.......
What is killing development domestically right now is the cost of steel, gas, and other materials which are being gobbled up at an astronomical rate by developing countries while production has remained stable. Asia is building its own steel mills, refineries, kilns, cement works, etc. right now to lower their costs and increase supplies, while domestically NIMBYS and environment regulation are hamstringing us.

Cheap labor domestically is realistically not going to happen anymore, so we need cheaper materials. Everyone hates the really cheap materials, so our only options are to either start rebuilding a nifty Japanese style automated industrial base while telling NIMBYs to go piss off, or drastically alter the construction industry (build buildings like ships, planes & cars in factory fabricated sections rather than the current practice of on site assembly), which is going to require a reorganization and retooling effort equivalent to rebuilding or industrial base. Either will suffice, but I'd rather do both and have dirt cheap buildings, built in exacting factory controlled environments, that as assembled super fast thanks to their component assemblies.

Mmmm lunch

Lurker said:
Cheap labor domestically is realistically not going to happen anymore, so we need cheaper materials. Everyone hates the really cheap materials, so our only options are to either start rebuilding a nifty Japanese style automated industrial base while telling NIMBYs to go piss off, or drastically alter the construction industry (build buildings like ships, planes & cars in factory fabricated sections rather than the current practice of on site assembly), which is going to require a reorganization and retooling effort equivalent to rebuilding or industrial base. Either will suffice, but I'd rather do both and have dirt cheap buildings, built in exacting factory controlled environments, that as assembled super fast thanks to their component assemblies.

Mmmm lunch

Cheap labor? How about removing labor altogether? Take a look at the future: http://www.contourcrafting.org/

LeTaureau said:
singbat said:
sidewalks said:

the recent fear of deflation? I thought stagflation was more a concern at this point - high inflation with low economic growth. Deflation is usually a concern during recession, and we are not at the cusp of recession.

Liquidity in the market has been a major diver for low interest rates, and the prolonged credit cycle. Foreign investors have been seeking yield where-ever they can get it to support their currencies. The real problem will occur when the Yuan is devalued to where it should be.

Yuan won't be devalued -- though I think i get your point there.

the fear of deflation was maybe 2003 - 2005. i'd have to look in the back issues to get a real fix on it -- but it was a big topic and for good reason.

stagflation is more current potential issue, i agree.

Lurker said:
All the major capital is being made the by US companies, but Asia in turn receives investment in payment for the manufacturing (infrastructure & the fact otherwise poor farmers now have some disposable income).
This isn't quite accurate. for one thing value added accrues disproportionately to the the asian producers due to the long tail behind the item showing up in Best Buy.

Lurker said:
In a few years, all those factory workers will have enough money to demand goods and services (look at every industrialized country 10-20 years into industrialization) and as a result Asian countries will develop a significant consumer market.
in every first generation tiger economy this has already happened. in China's coast this began happening more than 10 years ago. China's middle class followed the second generation tigers (e.g. Thailand). Vietnam, Cambodia, rural China, rural India, etc. are next up.

Lurker said:
The companies that form to serve that market will start putting orders into their own manufacturers causing manufacturing demand to go up. This will drive wages up over the limited supply of workers as well as due to the usual formation of labor movements and governments regulating safety/work rules.
All of a sudden there is no more cheap labor and US companies will have to either move the manufacturing elsewhere or pay more money.
yes and no. for one thing, mainland China and India have enormous reserves of under used people. production only moves slowly west and north, respectively.

Lurker said:
Depending on the cost jobs will either move back to the US (happens first with higher tech or quality controlled stuff),
by and large, incorrect. technology follows manufacturing. the jobs will not return en mass unless there is a fundamental and rapidly obtaining shift in valuations. and then only if the US is the best positioned workforce to fill the need, which is unlikely since in many industries we have not been filling any similar need at scale for decades.

Lurker said:
or move to whatever poor undeveloped country is willing to work in exchange for investment (by the end of the next century every country that isn't a political basket case probably won't be poor anymore at the current rate of development).
very big statement. you're assuming no external political, technical, environmental, and resource factors. i.e. never happens that way.

Lurker said:
Be really worried when Asian manufacturers make stuff for Asian companies than then sell products to the the US and abroad.

this concern is not sustained by the example of the Japan and the original tiger economies -- they were export led and had an enormous impact while being outward focused per dirigiste policies.

moreover, as i said, technology (and design, logistics, etc.) follows production. it doesn't matter who owns the label in the long term. all production is effectively investment in more than just plant and equipment. it is perforce infrastructure, human capital, capital management skills formation and other services development, etc.

Lurker said:
Back to Architecture.......

good idea... :)

Lurker said:
Cheap labor domestically is realistically not going to happen anymore
not necessarily true. cheap is relative, depends on currency (monetary and fiscal policy, balance of payments, etc.), productivity, opportunity cost, etc., etc...

wish i had as much to say about architecture...

Interesting and aptly stated Singbat, I'll admit to being bested as economics are outside of my fields of expertise.

Labor isn't gonna 'cheap' in this country ever again... gimmie a break.

unless the entire country turns into mexicans. singbat, you list all these 'possibilities' that dont really have a bearing on labor realistically. how about labor unions, specialization, education. labor isn't going to be cheap here anytime soon. That and we basically steal alot of the best foreign minds because they come to school here and earn better wages when they're out of college.

and production does move to cheaper countries, despite what the current countries try to do to hinder that. stuff that was getting built in China is now getting built in vietnam. You even pointed this out yourself.

Singbat... you know how buildings get demolished in china? they put up bambo scaffolding, have hundreds of guys bang away at the building until its rubble and then haul it away. Now tell me when we are going to have 'relatively' cheaper labor. aint gonna happen. not in our lifetimes.

Morning guys, I think it's time to make a new thread for this topic so the discussion can get back to the Mandarin Oriental. Thanks.

I wasn't going to continue the economics aspect to this thread. but then i thought: the guy building a 5-star hotel in the middle of boston using blue collar labor to be staffed and/or serviced, in part, by "lower class" service workers was the one who started it. (and the recent posts on the ICA thread make me think i can get away with anything... :)

Van, feel free to move us if you think its gone too far...

Bobby Digital said:
Labor isn't gonna 'cheap' in this country ever again... gimmie a break.

you may be correct. however, national economies not only rise and fall, they are also in motion relative to their peers.

look at the arc of the Argentine economy. once one of the most solidly middle class and generally wealthy countries saw their economy crash pretty significantly in recent years -- after a long period of stagnation that degraded their position.

look at the arc of the UK they've gone up, way up, and way down, and back to the upper middle. My grandfather owned a factory in the UK. his son exported himself to get a better job. I'm considering importing myself to get better healthcare and a second eduction.

look at Germany's fall, rise, fall, rise, fall, and rise... look at the pain Russia experienced post comunism. look at the rise and fall of the cubian economy. where is the Roman republic/empire? why did Ming China collapse? what on earth would make us think that the US has repealed the march of history?

Bobby Digital said:
unless the entire country turns into mexicans.

perhaps we could turn into North Dakota, Montana, Lowell, Iowa, Vermont, Springfield, Maine, Detroit, etc. instead? Or perhaps the Mexicans will continue becoming more like Texans.

Bobby Digital said:
singbat, you list all these 'possibilities' that dont really have a bearing on labor realistically. how about labor unions, specialization, education. labor isn't going to be cheap here anytime soon.

i would argue that macro has THE impact on micro.

Bobby Digital said:
That and we basically steal alot of the best foreign minds because they come to school here and earn better wages when they're out of college.

the literature and common sense suggests this is a declining trend. i wish it were not so, but when the first language of the industrialized world is suddenly inundated with 1.5 billion people who's first common language is not english, and who seek to emulate economies (Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong) that speak their common language before the world's common language, something will change. and don't forget that there was a time when US scientists learned Germain so that they could participate in the cutting edge research community.

Bobby Digital said:
and production does move to cheaper countries, despite what the current countries try to do to hinder that. stuff that was getting built in China is now getting built in vietnam. You even pointed this out yourself.

absolutely. but when production moves from Hangzhou to Xian or Saigon following wages, Hangzhou is left with a much higher technical base. and production doesn't simply flow on, it is pushed by new production coming in. i.e. when the Hangzhou television manufacturer pushes its tube production out to the west, in comes the cell phone manufacturer with its home grown line of phones based on its learning as a partner of Motorola in the 90s. i'm not making this up.

and domestic firms source from domestic firms where possible because there is lower transactional friction, including easier information and closer to just in time logistics -- that's how the highly robust small-producer Taiwan economy boot strapped itself off a small number of early inbound ventures mainly from the US and Japan.

as we push IC fab to Taiwan, South Korea and Singapore we see Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea begin to pick up IC design skills. when we push IC design out, we replace it with what? Apple's designers? that works for Apple, but it doesn't do anything for Dell... meanwhile we make good bank on IC production and test equipment, but what makes us think that aspect of the business will stay domestic when most of the worlds chips are made on the other side of the pacific?

Bobby Digital said:
Singbat... you know how buildings get demolished in china? they put up bambo scaffolding, have hundreds of guys bang away at the building until its rubble and then haul it away.

i lived in Hangzhou in 91 and 92. the city's gross city product expanded 25% in 91. my apartment complex was next door to a large 2-story structure that was hammered down just as you describe, while the rest of the "Science and Technology District" was build from whole cloth out of rice paddies. I'm very very aware.

On the other hand, I lived in Taiwan two years earlier where at that time a majority of the value added of many of our laptops was being created and, you know what, they had the same building techniques. despite having a standard of living that was then roughly par with Spain and Greece. a couple years before that, I lived in Spain. They didn't knock buildings down that way because at that time they weren't doing a lot of building. And they weren't making laptops or running IC fabs.

Bobby Digital said:
Now tell me when we are going to have 'relatively' cheaper labor. aint gonna happen. not in our lifetimes.

If your currency crashes you will find yourself in the company of Anything for a Buck, Inc. it could happen. I hope it doesn't.

Banker & Tradesman said:
Agency Issues 40B Monitoring Guidelines
By Aglaia Pikounis
Reporter

An agency that finances and monitors housing developments under the state?s controversial comprehensive permitting law has released new guidelines that aim to address concerns about developers underreporting profits and overstating costs.

The state Department of Housing and Community Development is urging other agencies to follow the new auditing guidelines.

Some say the new guidelines, which were released by the quasi-public agency MassHousing, are an improvement but local officials still have concerns about whether they will curb developer abuses.

?It?s an improvement on existing guidelines but municipalities remain skeptical as to whether they will make a difference,? said Daniel C. Hill, a Cambridge attorney who represents towns that are trying to recover funds from Chapter 40B developers.

The changes come after critics of the law and the state?s inspector general have found that developers who receive comprehensive permits under the state?s Chapter 40B statute are taking advantage of a weak oversight system, inflating costs and hiding profits that should be returned to cities and towns for affordable housing. They contend monitoring of Chapter 40B projects was sloppy and failed to detect significant errors in audits.

The new cost certification manual for Chapter 40B homeownership projects was released by MassHousing in early August after the agency gathered public input from various sources for more than a year.

Chapter 40B enables developers to go through a community?s zoning board for a permit and avoid certain other local approvals in communities where less than 10 percent of the housing is affordable. In exchange, developers must agree to set aside at least 20 percent of the units they?re building for low- to moderate-income households. Developers with Chapter 40B permits that build homeownership units and subsidizing agencies sign regulatory agreements that include a 20 percent profit limitation.

Municipal officials in Massachusetts have complained that some Chapter 40B developers overstate costs, such as how much they paid for land. There also are concerns about how much developers are paying related entities that are doing work on the project, such as construction.

When developers report land costs, they must use the appraised value of land before it?s permitted, according to guidelines released by the Massachusetts Housing Partnership in November 2005. According to those guidelines, developers must limit related-party expenses to 14 percent of total costs. Related-party expenses refer to costs or charges billed by an entity connected or related to the developer, such as a contractor. Those standards still exist and the MassHousing cost-certification manual doesn?t change them.

Inspector General Gregory Sullivan launched an investigation of Chapter 40B projects last year.

In a letter sent to MassHousing Director Thomas Gleason last September, Sullivan reported some of the early findings that some developers ?apparently concealed profits by artificially inflating the costs of services performed by related parties, understating income by transferring property to related parties at discounts, and engaging in other accounting fictions.?

The inspector general?s office wants the state to establish a uniform set of rules to be followed by all agencies.

?This office would prefer that DHCD promulgate regulations to handle these matters rather than leaving it up to the subsidizing agency,? Jack McCarthy, senior assistant to Sullivan, told Banker & Tradesman. ?That way you would have one set of rules to follow rather than individual subsidizing agencies coming up with their own policies.?

He added, ?Regulations would have the force of law whereas policies do not.?

In response, DHCD spokesman Phil Hailer said the agency is ?currently reviewing proposed regulatory changes to Chapter 40B, including cost-certification procedures.?

?The agency hopes to hold public hearings regarding these changes by year's end with the goal of promulgating the new regulations sometime within the first quarter of 2008,? he added.

MassHousing?s new manual provides a detailed step-by-step format for developers and accountants submitting audits to follow, explained MassHousing spokesman Tom Farmer. The developers and accountants are required to present a very detailed breakdown of costs, he said.

?Basically, the goal was to get the accountants to submit to us a higher quality work product,? said Farmer.

Farmer said the new manual enables MassHousing to conduct ?test samples? to check if land acquisition, site preparation, building materials costs and other expenses are accurately reported.

Under the new guidelines, after an audit of a project is completed by the developer?s accountant, an accountant at MassHousing who is skilled in the construction industry reviews it, Farmer said. The audit then is sent to the town where the Chapter 40B development is located so officials can provide feedback.

But MassHousing still retains the final say on the audit. ?The final decision is going to rest with us. It?s not like we?re giving them [the municipalities] veto power,? explained Farmer.

Inherent ?Incompatibility?

Some observers say while it?s good that MassHousing will seek feedback from towns and cities, a subsidizing agency like MassHousing shouldn?t be checking on the profitability of projects.

?Inherently, in my mind, there?s incompatibility of asking subsidizing agencies to enforce profit restrictions when the agency has an interest in the profitability,? said Hill, an attorney with Anderson & Kreiger in Cambridge.

David J. Hedison, executive director of the Chelmsford Housing Authority, said the entity that provides financing should not conduct or oversee the auditing.

?It should be an unrelated entity,? Hedison said in an e-mail to Banker & Tradesman ?Historically, MassHousing has not identified a project that has excess profits.?

Hill said questions have also arisen over whether the level of review will be rigorous enough. The MassHousing manual relies on a specific set of accounting standards that are not the same as government auditing standards, explained Hill.

?Is it a rigorous enough standard to uncover the types of fraud and misrepresentation that the inspector general has uncovered through his auditing process?? asked Hill.

However, others insist that the guidelines do address critical issues about what developers are allowed to report as costs.

?It?s the first time where the state has issued specific instructions and guidance for developers, accounting firms and municipalities regarding the cost-certification audits in homeownership development,? said Aaorn Gornstein, executive director of the Citizens? Housing and Planning Association, a nonprofit organization that used to review audits of Chapter 40B projects.

Jay Talerman, an attorney who represents towns on Chapter 40B matters, said cost-certification audit issues must be resolved. He said the fact that MassHousing is seeking the community?s input on the audits is ?a step in the right direction.?

?The problems with cost certification are manifold. While involving municipalities is one key component of it, the bigger concern raised by municipalities as well as the inspector general revolves around the method in which profit is calculated.?

He added, ?What?s important ultimately is that we bridge the differences so that we can concentrate on housing. The cost-certification issues have become a sideshow that is dragging down good development along with the bad development. We won?t be able to accomplish good development until we solve these peripheral issues.?

No link available

Why do we need development or cities?

About one hundred fifty years ago ?modern cities? were created to supply vast amounts of labor to the great manufacturing empires that had been unleashed by the Industrial Revolution

Later in the mid Twentieth Century cities offered large concentrations of office workers needed to provide the back-office underpinnings that were financing, insuring and litigating for the manufacturing that was becoming located elsewhere -- e.g. New York in the 1950's, Boston in the 1980's, London in the 1990's

Today or it will soon to be ? that we won't need that kind of concentrated labor here, in Lowell {purpose built for mill labor}, London, or Shanghai China

The next generation of robots and the automation of all manner of tasks from making chips to making financial transactions is on the near horizon. Design and high level management and research and development will still need some concentrations of the ?best and the brightest? ? but the rest can be done anywhere

So why do we need cities -- we go back to the Medieval Europe model -- cities housed Cathedrals, Universities and Fairs

Today we might revamp this ordering {and slightly change the terminology} to: Universities, Culture {including concert halls and art museums to supplement or supplant the cathedrals} and Conferences {including Trade Shows and Tourism to replace the Fairs} -- but otherwise the model is intact

So why is Boston still here and why does it need new buildings

Boston {the area} seems to have attracted a uniquely concentrated cluster of brainpower {the best and the brightest} in science {Nobel Prize Capital of the World}, medicine, finance and some important technologies

We need buildings to house the ?best and the brightest? students, professors and the alumni? all of whom can be counted on to create a bright and prosperous future if we give them a chance ? and don?t stand in their way too much and allow them to flourish along with their corporate creations

Is it permanent -- no -- eventually a km of ice will sit on top of where the Pru now sprouts --- just as it has in the past

But, for the next few generations ? Boston can and should be the economic envy of the rest of the world ? the rest will just be pretenders to the throne ? after all modern technical innovation was born here! ? and excepting the NIMBYs ? it still flourishes!

Westy

The Globe said:
A man who can 'get things done'
Boston's mayor turns to a seasoned development professional with a 3-city resume to run BRA

By Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe Staff | September 20, 2007

John F. Palmieri spent 18 years helping to rebuild downtown Providence, two years in North Carolina fashioning an economic development office for Charlotte, and almost four years in blighted Hartford, trying to raise homeownership levels from a critically low 20 percent.

Now he'll head the Boston Redevelopment Authority, the powerful city agency on the ninth floor of City Hall that combines planning, economic development, and approval functions.

Palmieri will face many of the same issues here, only on a larger scale: creating more affordable housing in an expensive city, overseeing an office market on the verge of a boom, and dealing with impatient developers and neighborhood groups with conflicting agendas.

Through it all, he'll be expected to please a mayor known to want things done his way.

He'll also have to guide Harvard University's new campus into an Allston neighborhood nervous about being overrun, weigh in on whether downtown Boston should welcome bigger skyscrapers, such as the proposed 1,000-foot tower at Winthrop Square, and help determine if city government should abandon a much-criticized building downtown for the emerging South Boston Waterfront district.

Can he do it?

"I don't think there's any question he can," said Paul L. Barrett, Boston development director in the early 1990s and now regional director for the AFL-CIO Housing Investment Trust. Barrett was Rhode Island's state economic development director when Palmieri was head of planning in Providence, and they worked together to create a $400 million development on 30 unused acres, the Providence Mall, which opened in 1997.

"He's got a great personality for this job," Barrett said. "He's someone who's always been willing to learn and listen. That's his number one talent."

Timothy P. Kirwan, general manager of the InterContinental Boston Hotel and formerly at the Westin Providence Hotel, was chairman of the board of the convention and visitors bureau in that city in the 1990s. He worked with Palmieri on several urban improvements, including enlivening downtown Providence with WaterFire, a high-profile, ongoing show of installation art and music.

"You meet a lot of guys in the public sector, but it was always Palmieri who got it done," Kirwan said yesterday. "He had all the sensibilities to work with the private sector. He was the key guy in the administration in the city."

Mayor Thomas M. Menino said he picked Palmieri because of his "experience, his ability to get things done."

"He's a creative implementer and a respected, able manager," Menino said. "He's the right guy for the time." Development on the South Boston Waterfront and Harvard's expansion to Allston will be top priorities, Menino said.

But Menino also said he expects Palmieri to closely examine the BRA itself, which comes under periodic criticism for its potentially conflicting missions: planning the city's future, spurring the economy, and approving proposed development projects.

"I want him to look at the BRA and make sure the functions are there today that are necessary, and how we can work together to deliver product much quicker than we have in the past," Menino said. He said the BRA has "a great staff" but that Palmieri is "going to have to hire a couple of people."

Palmieri, 56, called coming to Boston "a consummate opportunity to perfect the kind of work I do in a world-class city."

"I've got to take a hard look at aligning the planning function with redevelopment," he said yesterday. "I know that's been expressed as a concern."

Palmieri said he understands politics can be played hard in Boston, but, "I spent 18 years in Providence; that's a good start. I like to think I have the skill sets to respond to the mayor's directives and objectives," Palmieri said. "I'm comfortable doing this kind of work."

Barrett agreed, and said he thought Palmieri could survive working for Menino, who has scrapped with BRA directors who had, or appeared publicly to have, their own agendas.

"He worked for Buddy Cianci," said Barrett, referring to the pugnacious former Providence mayor who recently completed a five-year prison term for racketeering conspiracy. "Mayors by nature of who they are are not shrinking violets. He's the ideal personality. He's not a guy who looks for credit."

Palmieri graduated from Temple University in 1972 and earned a master's degree at the University of Rhode Island in 1976.

He is expected to start work in Boston on Nov. 12, replacing Mark Maloney, who resigned early this year.

Thomas C. Palmer Jr. can be reached at tpalmer@globe.com.
Link

whether downtown Boston should welcome bigger skyscrapers, such as the proposed 1,000-foot tower at Winthrop Square

One should hope, considering it was the mayor's proposal!

Boston: Boom times for office space
Shaking off development doldrums, builders try to catch up to demand
By Robert Preer

Source: Jones Lang LaSalle

Boston's Two Financial Center will be a modest downtown office building, a mere 12 stories tall, with some 215,000 square feet of office space. In June, developer Lincoln Property broke ground for the building, now rising on a former parking lot in the Leather District, a former industrial enclave on the edge of the city's Financial District.

The groundbreaking offered more proof that Boston is on the verge of a building boom, sparked by strong job growth and the end of the country's largest-ever public works project, the Big Dig, which buried a reviled elevated highway that divided downtown and opened up a mile-long ribbon of land that will be mostly green space.

Boston's last major office building broke ground six years earlier, in June 2001, before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and the ensuing economic downturn. The Two Financial Center groundbreaking, combined with an increasingly tight market for premium office space, buoyed hopes that new, larger commercial development will soon begin in Boston. Five or six major projects that could reshape the city's mostly low skyline have been approved or are under city review, and planning has begun on what could be Boston's tallest building.

"I really think the conditions are ripe for new development," said Brendan Carroll, research director for Richards Barry Joyce & Partners, a commercial real estate brokerage. "By most measures, this is pretty much the best market that we've seen since 2001."

Falling vacancies for office space and rising rents have fueled the upbeat outlook. In a recent analysis, commercial real estate firm Meredith & Grew reported that the Boston office market was enjoying "an ongoing recovery with nearly 4 million square feet absorbed since the vacancy rate peaked in the third quarter of 2004 at 17.2 percent." The vacancy rate for the second quarter of 2007 was 7.4 percent, according to data compiled by Jones Lang LaSalle. Rents have also increased dramatically. Meredith & Grew reported that downtown rents jumped by 43 percent in a six-month span, from $33.25 per square foot to $47.55.

"I think this will start the wave," said Lauren Picariello, research manager for the commercial real estate firm Jones Lang LaSalle.

John Cappellano, Lincoln Property's senior vice president for development, said his company was at the vanguard. "We're first in the ground, and we'll be the first to be completed. We're very confident the market is heating up," he said. "It's good timing." Two Financial Center is scheduled to open in January 2009.

The high-rise development planned for Boston could bring more than 3 million square feet of office space to Back Bay, the downtown Financial District and the waterfront. If even a significant portion is built, Boston -- a city known more for historic charm than tall buildings -- will look very different in a few years. Major projects include:

? Russia Wharf, a mixed-use combination of new construction and historic restoration on Congress Street on the downtown waterfront. Three 19th-century buildings will be incorporated into the project. Developer Boston Properties, which also owns the city's mammoth Prudential Center, has plans for 500,000 square feet of office space in a 32-story glass-and-steel tower as part of Russia Wharf.

? South Station Tower, a mixed-use development above one of Boston's main railway stations, with a 40-story, 1.3-million-square-foot office tower. Developer Hines of Houston expects to start construction this year.

? Fan Pier, a new waterfront community with 1.2 million square feet of office space. Developer Fallon Co. projects groundbreaking later this year for the first commercial building, which is to have 500,000 square feet of office space.

? One Franklin Street, the former Filene's building at Downtown Crossing. Developers Gale International and Vornado Realty Trust plan to turn the property into 600,000 square feet of office space, along with a retail, condominium and hotel complex. The project is under review.

A Renzo Piano design for Boston's Financial District would dwarf the others. The 1,000-foot-tall Trans National Place would soar 210 feet higher than Boston's tallest building, the John Hancock Tower in Back Bay. Nicknamed Tommy's Tower after Boston mayor Thomas Menino's challenge to developers to build taller, Trans National Place's proposed 80 stories would have 1.3 million square feet of office space. Last year, the city designated a developer, Trans National Properties, but review by the city has not begun.

On the drawing board in Back Bay is 888 Boylston Street, a 19-story office building that would add 439,000 square feet of space to the Prudential Center.

Optimism about Boston's future is fueled by strong job growth in the city's core industries: financial and business services, health care, higher education and biotechnology. Since 2004, Boston has added about 93,000 jobs, roughly half the number lost in the recession that began in 2001.

And the city is cleaner and greener after decades of construction chaos caused by the Big Dig. The old elevated Central Artery (Interstate 93), which sliced through downtown, was buried, and the Massachusetts Turnpike was extended under Boston Harbor to Logan Airport. A massive harbor cleanup has drawn both development and tourist cruise boats. Atop the now-underground highway, nearly 30 acres have been freed up to create the Rose Kennedy Greenway, a series of urban parks and gardens. Plans call for a YMCA, a history museum and an arts museum.

The downturn that began in 2001 hit Boston's office market hard. The situation worsened by the addition of 4.9 million square feet of office space between 2001 and 2004, after the economy had gone south.

Boston's housing market remained tight, however, and developers kept busy constructing condominiums and apartments while the office market languished.

(That early momentum in housing continues. Today, about 7.4 million square feet of residential space are under construction.)

Two Financial Center has been a microcosm of the city's shifting development scene. It was approved in 2000 as an office tower, but the original developers decided to switch to housing as the office market softened. Then, last year, Lincoln Property acquired the project and went back to office.

"They were responding to market conditions," said Kairos Shen, director of planning for the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

All the optimism, however, must be tempered with a note of caution.

Carroll of Richards Barry Joyce & Partners said that while office demand is strong in premium locations -- downtown, the waterfront, Back Bay, Cambridge and suburban Waltham -- it remains weak in other areas.

"We've seen a concentration of absorption in a few specific areas," said Carroll. "It is a flight to quality."

Shen agrees. "The big need now is for Class A office space. The remaining Class A that's available is in small chunks," he said. "It is fueling the market to build office space. We are seeing a series of projects in and around the downtown and the waterfront to fill this need."

http://www.therealdeal.net//issues/SEPTEMBER_2007/images/1188581711.jpg

The article is about LA but I thought the graph showing how cheap it is to build in Boston (cheaper than Dallas!) was interesting. I wonder why it seems like it is so tough to build here?
The Atlantic said:
A Tale of Two Town Houses
Real estate may be as important as religion in explaining the infamous gap between red and blue states.

by Virginia Postrel

postrel-chart.jpg

In 2000, my husband and I moved out of our mid-1970s three-bedroom town house in Los Angeles and into a brand-new three-bedroom town house in Uptown Dallas. At the time, the two were worth about the same, but the Dallas place was 1,000 square feet bigger. We?ve moved back to L.A., and we?re glad we kept our old house. Over the past seven years, its value has roughly doubled. By contrast, we sold our Dallas place for $6,500 less than we paid for it.

Housing market

It?s not that we bought into a declining Dallas neighborhood: Uptown is one of the hottest in the city, with block upon block of new construction. But the supply of housing in Dallas is elastic. When demand increases, because of growing population or rising incomes, so does the amount of housing; prices stay roughly the same. That?s true not only in the outlying suburbs, but also in old neighborhoods like ours, where dense clusters of town houses and multistory apartment buildings are replacing two-story fourplexes and single-family homes. It?s easy to build new housing in Dallas.

Not so in Los Angeles. There, in-creased demand generates little new supply. Even within zoning rules, it?s hard to get permission to build. When a local developer bought three small 1920s duplexes on our block, planning to replace them with a big condo building, neighbors campaigned to stop the proj?ect. The city declared the charming but architecturally undistinguished buildings historic landmarks, blocking demolition for a year. The developer gave up, leaving the neighborhood?s landscape?and its housing supply?unchanged. In Los Angeles, when demand for housing increases, prices rise.

Dallas and Los Angeles represent two distinct models for successful American cities, which both reflect and reinforce different cultural and political attitudes. One model fosters a family-oriented, middle-class lifestyle?the proverbial home-centered ?balanced life.? The other rewards highly productive, work-driven people with a yen for stimulating public activities, for arts venues, world-class universities, luxury shopping, restaurants that aren?t kid-friendly. One makes room for a wide range of incomes, offering most working people a comfortable life. The other, over time, becomes an enclave for the rich. Since day-to-day experience shapes people?s sense of what is typical and normal, these differences in turn lead to contrasting perceptions of economic and social reality. It?s easy to believe the middle class is vanishing when you live in Los Angeles, much harder in Dallas. These differences also reinforce different norms and values?different ideas of what it means to live a good life. Real estate may be as important as religion in explaining the infamous gap between red and blue states.

The Dallas model, prominent in the South and Southwest, sees a growing population as a sign of urban health. Cities liberally permit housing construction to accommodate new residents. The Los Angeles model, common on the West Coast and in the Northeast Corridor, discourages growth by limiting new housing. Instead of inviting newcomers, this approach rewards longtime residents with big capital gains and the political clout to block projects they don?t like.

The direct results of these strategies are predictable: cheap, plentiful housing in some places, and expensive, scarce housing in others. A remodeler working on my L.A. town house a couple of years ago wistfully recalled visiting a cousin in Arlington, Texas, between Dallas and Fort Worth. He wanted to move there himself. In Arlington, he said, ?you can buy a million-dollar house for $200,000.? According to Coldwell Banker?s annual sur- vey, a 2,200-square-foot, four-bedroom ?middle-management? home costs around $141,000 in Arlington (or, for big spenders, $288,000 in Dallas), compared with $1 million or more in the L.A. area. One man?s million-dollar dream home is another?s plain old tract house.

Many people do pack up and move, if not to Arlington, then to Las Vegas or Charlotte. Historically a magnet for educated migrants, California has begun losing college-educated residents, on net, to other states, in large part because of the high cost of housing. Most of the South?s population growth since the 1980s has come from the lure of cheap housing created by liberal permitting policies, according to new research by the Harvard economists Edward Glaeser and Kristina Tobio. By lowering the cost of housing, these policies give residents higher real incomes compared with similarly paid workers elsewhere?a strong incentive to move, even if you don?t like bugs or hot summers. The mobile middle class gravitates to the cities where housing is affordable. ?If you?re your basic $85,000-a-year person, you can?t own in Los Angeles. You can?t do it,? says the Wharton School economist Joseph Gyourko. And if you?re your basic $45,000-a-year person, closer to the U.S. median household income, you?d better pack for Texas.

That doesn?t mean Los Angeles and San Francisco are in any danger of turning into Detroit and Buffalo. To the contrary, Gyourko calls them ?superstar cities,? places that offer ?a rare blend? of stimulating leisure activities and a highly productive work environment. A life that looks ?rushed? and ?materialistic? to the folks headed for North Carolina feels exciting and creative to die-hard urbanites. As a friend who recently moved from Manhattan to Santa Monica once said to me, ?When people say a place is ?good for raising children,? that means it?s boring.? But not everyone with a taste for urban amenities can afford the superstar life. As the number of affluent Americans grows, the rich are bidding up the price of living in these special places, increasing the gap between the superstar cities and everyplace else.

People in these high-price areas respond that they have no control over housing costs. Everyone wants to live in California, and the land is already full of houses. This isn?t Texas, with its miles and miles of empty old cotton fields. True, land is cheaper and more plentiful in less-developed parts of the country. But high-price areas could put many more units on the land they have. Research by Gyourko, Glaeser, and Raven Saks found that the lowest-density areas around expensive cities tend to have the least new construction and the most land-use restrictions. It?s actually somewhat easier to build in more densely populated towns and neighborhoods?the opposite of what you?d expect if a shortage of empty land were the problem.

Some of the higher price of L.A. real estate does reflect the intrinsic pleasure of living there, as I?m reminded every time I walk out my door into the perfect weather. Some of the price reflects the productivity advantages of being near others doing similar work (try selling a screenplay from Arlington, Texas). All of these benefits?and the negatives of traffic and smog?are reflected in the price of land.

But what exactly is that price? Consider two ways of computing the price of a quarter acre of land. You can compare the value of a house on a quarter acre with that of a similar house on a half acre. Or you can take the price of a house on a quarter acre and subtract the cost of the house itself?the price of construction. Either way, you get the value of an empty quarter acre. The two numbers should be roughly the same. But they aren?t. The second one is always bigger, because it includes not just the property but the right to build. Expanding your quarter-acre lot to a half acre doesn?t give you permission to add a second house.

In a 2003 article, Glaeser and Gyourko calculated the two different land values for 26 cities (using data from 1999). They found wide disparities. In Los Angeles, an extra quarter acre cost about $28,000?the pure price of land. But the cost of empty land isn?t the whole story, or even most of it. A quarter- acre lot minus the cost of the house came out to about $331,000?nearly 12 times as much as the extra quarter acre. The difference between the first and second prices, around $303,000, was what L.A. home buyers paid for local land-use controls in bureaucratic delays, density restrictions, fees, political contributions. That?s the cost of the right to build.

And that right costs much less in Dallas. There, adding an extra quarter acre ran about $2,300?raw land really is much cheaper?and a quarter acre minus the cost of construction was about $59,000. The right to build was nearly a quarter million dollars less than in L.A. Hence the huge difference in housing prices. Land is indeed more expensive in superstar cities. But getting permission to build is way, way more expensive. These cities, says Gyourko, ?just control the heck out of land use.?

The unintended consequence of these land-use policies is that Americans are sorting themselves geographically by income and lifestyle?not across neighborhoods, as they used to, but across regions. People are more likely to live surrounded by others like themselves, creating a more-polarized cultural map. In the superstar cities, where opinion leaders congregate, the perception is growing that the country no longer has a place for middle-class life. Yet the same urban sophisticates who fret that you can?t live decently on less than $100,000 a year often argue vociferously that increasing density will degrade their quality of life. They may be right?but, like any other luxury good, that quality commands a high price.
Link

^^^^^^^^^^^

The graph must be mistaken; it's impossible that Boston is at the bottom of the list, just barely above St. Louis. Boston is more likely right up there with San Fran!

Back