Fenway Corners (Red Sox) | 1 Jersey Street | Fenway

If not, a friendly reminder that the 3 most universally acclaimed ballparks--Fenway, Wrigley, Camden Yards--are cherished because they are embedded in hyperdense mixed-use neighbors that exude urbanism.

Just a friendly reminder that Fenway was cherished even when it was surrounded by gas stations and parking lots.

Also, a complex like this can be a (major) net positive as a whole, while not necessarily having 100% of it being good. (for example see Congress Street Garage if that lab is built) In this case one building kind of sucks compared to the rest of it. I'm pretty sure it's going to block the Citgo sign view too. I realize most people here don't care about the sign, but we botched an entire corner of Kenmore for the Whoops building just to keep it visible, so clearly some people do care.

when late in the game there's an audible crack, a sound like no other, and that ball starts to soar over left field, let people for a brief few seconds wonder how high and how far it could go, like the old days when they actually used to leave dents in the blue sky; please, let people dream.

the pru been looming over fenway since the 60s tho..

If a green wall is really what people need, paint the new building on Landsdowne the special “green monster” shade of green and be done with it.

Last edited:
The development has acquired the holdout property on Brookline Ave: https://bpda.app.box.com/s/utk3dr3yb6u9w3xf4qg19fit5ex8nqhe

1702509863114.png

1702509985967.png

1702510023288.png

the pru been looming over fenway since the 60s tho..

If a green wall is really what people need, paint the new building on Landsdowne the special “green monster” shade of green and be done with it.
I don't even understand that guy's argument. The Monster isn't going anywhere.

Fenway Park is an historic venue, the most significant in New England if not the entire Northeast -- arguably in the country -- and its most prominent and unique feature is that imposing green wall. This new building is going to change the perceived scale of everything in the ballpark. I don't think it's an overstatement to say that the game of baseball itself is going to get much smaller for everyone who buys a ticket. So please, fill in Boston Harbor, reclad the entire North End in vinyl, but when late in the game there's an audible crack, a sound like no other, and that ball starts to soar over left field, let people for a brief few seconds wonder how high and how far it could go, like the old days when they actually used to leave dents in the blue sky; please, let people dream. Honestly, the scale of this vile structure stinks. I might not ever be able to eat another hot dog in my life.
This is the funniest thing I've ever read. Dude, be a pal and share whatever it is you're smoking/snorting/whatever.

Last edited:
Fenway Park is an historic venue, the most significant in New England if not the entire Northeast -- arguably in the country -- and its most prominent and unique feature is that imposing green wall. This new building is going to change the perceived scale of everything in the ballpark. I don't think it's an overstatement to say that the game of baseball itself is going to get much smaller for everyone who buys a ticket. So please, fill in Boston Harbor, reclad the entire North End in vinyl, but when late in the game there's an audible crack, a sound like no other, and that ball starts to soar over left field, let people for a brief few seconds wonder how high and how far it could go, like the old days when they actually used to leave dents in the blue sky; please, let people dream. Honestly, the scale of this vile structure stinks. I might not ever be able to eat another hot dog in my life.
Kevin Costner? Is this you?

Fenway Corners virtual meeting 1/16/24

Nothing to note. Lots of positive feedback from the public. A few key takeaways.

-BPDA mentioned the possibility of a mural Arthur’s Alley.
-Many didn’t like the brick massing in the Jersey Block.
-Despite calls for housing, the BPDA said that the 36k sf zoned for lab and office space is too small of a footprint to solve the housing crisis.
-Some calls to keep Van Ness two-way, which I can agree with. Increased traffic will eventually create a bigger problem if Van Ness is one-way.
IMG_8576.jpeg
IMG_8579.jpeg

IMG_8575.jpeg
IMG_8580.jpeg

So for those of you who aren't Red Sox fans, the big narrative around the team these days is ownership's sudden unwillingless to spend as much on the team as they have in years past. Some in the media have started to speculate whether this project is forcing the team to tighten its belt. I don't have any professional experience in development -- is there anyone here who does who might have some insight on how this is being financed and whether it would likely impact the team?

Fenway Corners virtual meeting 1/16/24

Nothing to note. Lots of positive feedback from the public. A few key takeaways.

-BPDA mentioned the possibility of a mural Arthur’s Alley.
-Many didn’t like the brick massing in the Jersey Block.
-Despite calls for housing, the BPDA said that the 36k sf zoned for lab and office space is too small of a footprint to solve the housing crisis.
-Some calls to keep Van Ness two-way, which I can agree with. Increased traffic will eventually create a bigger problem if Van Ness is one-way.View attachment 46845View attachment 46846
View attachment 46844View attachment 46847
Thanks for the update. I intended to join, but got tied up with a work emergency, alas.

So for those of you who aren't Red Sox fans, the big narrative around the team these days is ownership's sudden unwillingless to spend as much on the team as they have in years past. Some in the media have started to speculate whether this project is forcing the team to tighten its belt. I don't have any professional experience in development -- is there anyone here who does who might have some insight on how this is being financed and whether it would likely impact the team?
I don't know any of the specifics of how this project is to be financed. But I'm quite certain it won't impact the team, as they would be separate corporate entities. Even if that weren't the case, the team would only factor into a lenders review of borrower revenue streams. Arguably, a better funded team leads to a better revenue stream, but as I said, the two activities are likely siloed.

"Some in the media" is just Shaughnessy, right?

I think it has much less to do with this local development and more to do with their aspirations for buying more sports franchises. Rumors swirl of their desire to buy a nfl team, invest in the PGA, an NBA team, it goes on and on.

The Red Sox are just another asset in their portfolio at this point

Back