Fenway Corners (Red Sox) | 1 Jersey Street | Fenway

Had some mild apprehensions about their plans with that block before, but this puts me at ease. Maybe the least respected opinions available are that of sports radio hosts, the lowest of the low.

Comes now Dan Shaughnessy, *the dean of Boston sports columnists,* with this *certified fresh hot take*:

"Nice of FSG to unveil its 5-8-year Fenway Corners plan to build on every available piece of land around the ballpark. The proposed monstrosity that would sit behind the Green Monster looks bigger than the new Terminal E at Logan. Designed by James Cameron, perhaps? Increasingly, it feels like the Red Sox are merely a side hustle in the FSG acquirement/real estate company."

Shut up and scribble? It must be tough to be stuck in perpetual 1978 in terms of your vision for what the Fenway neighborhood should look like...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/07/21/sports/dan-shaughnessy-baseball-hall-of-fame/

The retrofit of ballpark? It been talked about some pages back.

Can you point it out I went back a few pages and didnt see anything. The only retrofits I was aware of was the extra seating filled in where the gap between the monster and bleachers were on the left side, and the new club house added above the right field bleachers. I dont remember anything new coming after that.

Comes now Dan Shaughnessy, *the dean of Boston sports columnists,* with this *certified fresh hot take*:

"Nice of FSG to unveil its 5-8-year Fenway Corners plan to build on every available piece of land around the ballpark. The proposed monstrosity that would sit behind the Green Monster looks bigger than the new Terminal E at Logan. Designed by James Cameron, perhaps? Increasingly, it feels like the Red Sox are merely a side hustle in the FSG acquirement/real estate company."

Shut up and scribble? It must be tough to be stuck in perpetual 1978 in terms of your vision for what the Fenway neighborhood should look like...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/07/21/sports/dan-shaughnessy-baseball-hall-of-fame/
Taking a dump in our mouths one article at a time

Can you point it out I went back a few pages and didnt see anything. The only retrofits I was aware of was the extra seating filled in where the gap between the monster and bleachers were on the left side, and the new club house added above the right field bleachers. I dont remember anything new coming after that.
I didn’t identify any concrete retrofitting plans. I just said that between what was mentioned and whatever JH had in store. It’s coming either way.

Taking a dump in our mouths one article at a time

The line "plan to build on every available piece of land around the ballpark" is particularly obnoxious and irritating. Tell me you're a reactionary Boomer without telling me you're a reactionary Boomer. The insinuation is that the Red Sox are orchestrating some diabolical conspiracy to scale-up the Fenway neighborhood to grotesque proportions. Of course that's utter rubbish--there are so many good and plainly obvious reasons why the Fenway area demands greater densification, I won't belabor them--but it's still disheartening.

Again, though, when your conception of the neighborhood was formed in the era of Yaz, Fisk, and El Tiante, when gas stations, taxi-cab garages, and assorted ratty light-industrial uses stretched as far as the eye can see, then of course anything remotely like this will occasion much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments...

The line "plan to build on every available piece of land around the ballpark" is particularly obnoxious and irritating. Tell me you're a reactionary Boomer without telling me you're a reactionary Boomer. The insinuation is that the Red Sox are orchestrating some diabolical conspiracy to scale-up the Fenway neighborhood to grotesque proportions. Of course that's utter rubbish--there are so many good and plainly obvious reasons why the Fenway area demands greater densification, I won't belabor them--but it's still disheartening.

Again, though, when your conception of the neighborhood was formed in the era of Yaz, Fisk, and El Tiante, when gas stations, taxi-cab garages, and assorted ratty light-industrial uses stretched as far as the eye can see, then of course anything remotely like this will occasion much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments...

You pretty much summed up the essence of Shank Shaughnessy - the Archie Bunker Luddite of Boston Sports. The Patriots barred him from a buffet in the 1990’s and he’s held a grudge against the Kraft family for a quarter century. His “best used by“ date was a couple of decades ago.

You pretty much summed up the essence of Shank Shaughnessy - the Archie Bunker Luddite of Boston Sports. The Patriots barred him from a buffet in the 1990’s and he’s held a grudge against the Kraft family for a quarter century. His “best used by“ date was a couple of decades ago.

Yup. As much as I enjoyed his principled anti-Boston 2024 Olympics stance, this "plan to build on every available piece of land around the ballpark" conspiratorial garbage dumps him right into Howie Carr palookaville.

By my measure, the Fenway neighborhood is 215 acres--at its northeast apex, where the Muddy River touches the Pike; then girdled by (and of course including) the whole Fenway estuary system, all the way up to Park Drive; then the northwest apex at Park Drive & Mountfort; then the northern perimeter is the southern edge of the Pike.

Of those 215 acres, 75 acres--35%--are the Fenway estuary system itself. Which by definition is permanently undevelopable, by any reasonable comprehension.

So, 35% of the Fenway neighborhood is inviolable greenspace... but sure, Shaughnessy, spout brainless assertions like this. What profoundly ignorant rhetoric from someone who really ought to know better.

Yup. As much as I enjoyed his principled anti-Boston 2024 Olympics stance, this "plan to build on every available piece of land around the ballpark" conspiratorial garbage dumps him right into Howie Carr palookaville.

By my measure, the Fenway neighborhood is 215 acres--at its northeast apex, where the Muddy River touches the Pike; then girdled by (and of course including) the whole Fenway estuary system, all the way up to Park Drive; then the northwest apex at Park Drive & Mountfort; then the northern perimeter is the southern edge of the Pike.

Of those 215 acres, 75 acres--35%--are the Fenway estuary system itself. Which by definition is permanently undevelopable, by any reasonable comprehension.

So, 35% of the Fenway neighborhood is inviolable greenspace... but sure, Shaughnessy, spout brainless assertions like this. What profoundly ignorant rhetoric from someone who really ought to know better.

Don’t assume he doesn’t know better. His job is to drive engagement and given that we are discussing his article, he is quite good at his job.

Don’t assume he doesn’t know better. His job is to drive engagement and given that we are discussing his article, he is quite good at his job.

Journalists used to aim higher than than to be a Kardashian. The Globe in the 1970’s had Gammons, Ryan, Montville, McDonough, Visser, Rosa, Fitzgerald, Collins, MacMullan, Whiteside and Powers - - - that’s 11 sportswriters whose coffee Shank couldn’t carry.

He doesn’t inform. He gets clicks. That’s his success. He’s a local version of a Kardashian.

Last edited:

Why wouldn't one "build on every available piece of land around the ballpark?" What's the point of owning land in a city but to develop it?

Why wouldn't one "build on every available piece of land around the ballpark?" What's the point of owning land in a city but to develop it?

As a postscript to my prior post: not only is 35% of the Fenway neighborhood's 215 acres untouchable, as the Fenway estuary system, but, another 5%--11 acres--is... Fenway Park itself. Which is a national historic landmark and a pending Boston Landmark, so similarly untouchable...

Journalists used to aim higher than than to be a Kardashian. The Globe in the 1970’s had Gammons, Ryan, Montville, McDonough, Visser, Rosa, Fitzgerald, Collins, MacMullan, Whiteside and Powers - - - that’s 11 sportswriters whose coffee Shank couldn’t carry.

He doesn’t inform. He gets clicks. That’s his success. He’s a local version of a Kardashian.

Ironic that he complains about John Henry wasting money on things that aren't the Red Sox - I can think of one waste of Henry's money I'd love to see him dump...

Last edited:
Sorry to bump, but here’s something that was spotted in the wild. Colorful NIMBYS and someone who is upset about this project for unknown reasons. I tried to send these people a DM and they told me “thanks but you’re missing the point.”

You be the judge
IMG_7103.png
IMG_7104.png

Fenway Park is an historic venue, the most significant in New England if not the entire Northeast -- arguably in the country -- and its most prominent and unique feature is that imposing green wall. This new building is going to change the perceived scale of everything in the ballpark. I don't think it's an overstatement to say that the game of baseball itself is going to get much smaller for everyone who buys a ticket. So please, fill in Boston Harbor, reclad the entire North End in vinyl, but when late in the game there's an audible crack, a sound like no other, and that ball starts to soar over left field, let people for a brief few seconds wonder how high and how far it could go, like the old days when they actually used to leave dents in the blue sky; please, let people dream. Honestly, the scale of this vile structure stinks. I might not ever be able to eat another hot dog in my life.

These guys honestly inventing the Not In My Left Field argument. Seethe.

Did you all throw a fit when new seating was added all throughout the park (including on top of the monster), or when new signage was added for whatever sponsor is there now? Were those “rushed” decisions? I’m sorry parking is going to be more expensive now, but a derelict warehouse district is not charming and should be replaced with useful buildings. Fenway is a gem and we’re lucky to have it in the city. Leaving the area behind is a bad idea.

Fenway Park is an historic venue, the most significant in New England if not the entire Northeast -- arguably in the country -- and its most prominent and unique feature is that imposing green wall. This new building is going to change the perceived scale of everything in the ballpark. I don't think it's an overstatement to say that the game of baseball itself is going to get much smaller for everyone who buys a ticket. So please, fill in Boston Harbor, reclad the entire North End in vinyl, but when late in the game there's an audible crack, a sound like no other, and that ball starts to soar over left field, let people for a brief few seconds wonder how high and how far it could go, like the old days when they actually used to leave dents in the blue sky; please, let people dream. Honestly, the scale of this vile structure stinks. I might not ever be able to eat another hot dog in my life.
There were enormous fiberglass Coke bottles there for much of my life.

but when late in the game there's an audible crack, a sound like no other, and that ball starts to soar over left field, let people for a brief few seconds wonder how high and how far it could go, like the old days when they actually used to leave dents in the blue sky; please, let people dream. Honestly, the scale of this vile structure stinks. I might not ever be able to eat another hot dog in my life.

Is this some attempt at a Field of Dreams parody? Are you James Earl Jones?

If not, a friendly reminder that the 3 most universally acclaimed ballparks--Fenway, Wrigley, Camden Yards--are cherished because they are embedded in hyperdense mixed-use neighbors that exude urbanism.

(Have you ever been to one of the parks marooned in sterile low-density Freewayville USA, where nothing but acres of parking lot stretch as far as the eye can see, in endless monotony? Like, where the Rangers play? Or, where the Rays play? I have, and the surrounding fabric sucks.)

This proposal will add even more of the ingredients--density, mixed-use character, urbanism--that already makes Fenway a "winning" neighbor. And yet you wax poetic about... what, precisely?

(Though again, I'm partially convinced you're attempting a parody here...)

Back