South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

IMG_3839.jpeg
IMG_3844.jpeg
IMG_3845.jpeg

OK, stupid question. If the framing we see in the FB post above is for the core of the residential section, shouldn't that mean there's an elevator shaft within the part that's being framed? The floor/current roof looks pretty solid in that picture. Are they going to open that back up once the core starts rising? Is the continuous lower shaft somewhere else? Can't quite square it mentally.

OK, stupid question. If the framing we see in the FB post above is for the core of the residential section, shouldn't that mean there's an elevator shaft within the part that's being framed? The floor/current roof looks pretty solid in that picture. Are they going to open that back up once the core starts rising? Is the continuous lower shaft somewhere else? Can't quite square it mentally.
Couldn't they just be leaving openings in the floors for the elevator shaft, with load-bearing walls to be built around it to form the shaft? No expert on this. Just a guess.

At night the exterior of South Station used to be uplit. Hasn’t been for a while. Anyone know what gives?

I had to travel down to NYC for business last week. After arriving and departing at the new Moynihan Train Hall in NYC, South Station seemed tired, dark, and a little dirty. I had about 30 minutes to walk around South Station Concourse while waiting for my Greenbush train. I used to just love hanging out at South Station, but this time, I wasn't impressed. However, I realize that so much is walled off and under construction because of the tower. A Cafe Nero Express has replaced the Starbucks, but all the other food vendors seemed like they needed a refresh.

I sure hope that something is done AFTER the South Station Tower is completed to spruce up the South Station Concourse so it's a pleasant waiting area again. :)

IMG_8027.jpg

1706568753036.jpeg

IMG_8082.jpg

I included this photo of Nantasket Junction just for fun. Both West Hingham and Nantasket Junction have these big solar panels over the parking area.

1706568806275.jpeg

Last edited:
... You know it's not good when they've forgotten to pay the Squarespace subscription for their official website.

That was Ashkenazy’s site for South Station - retail directory, general info, etc. Maybe we’ll be getting some good news along the lines of Faneuil Hall.

Project specific sites:

That was Ashkenazy’s site for South Station - retail directory, general info, etc. Maybe we’ll be getting some good news along the lines of Faneuil Hall.

Project specific sites:

I really hope they find a new manager for the South Station public areas. I think Boston properties did an admirable job.

I doubt it. Michelle Wu's office looks out on Faneuil Hall, and there's a quote in the Globe's story where she says, essentially how staring at the place every day made her mad given the deferred maintenance and her *creative differences* with Ashkenazy. Seems like the kind of crazy-making thing that would motivate you to pull every lever you've got, if you were a politician. And neither Maura Healey nor Monica Tibbits-Nutt have to look at the South Station waiting area every day.

Which is all to say, the people who matter most here probably have bigger fish to fry at the moment!

And neither Maura Healey nor Monica Tibbits-Nutt have to look at the South Station waiting area every day.

Which is all to say, the people who matter most here probably have bigger fish to fry at the moment!
Or maybe they don't even know how bad it is, because I don't think either of them have any reason for being in there. The other point to consider, I'm not sure people really notice it if they are a typical commuter, quickly passing through between a train and elsewhere. I mostly chalked things up to construction, but recently had need to spend some actual time waiting in the concourse, and only then realized just how awful it was in ways that can't at all be placed at the feet of temporary construction related issues. Construction might cause the lack of adequate lighting. It does not cause the lack of adequate cleaning and maintenance.

Or maybe they don't even know how bad it is, because I don't think either of them have any reason for being in there. The other point to consider, I'm not sure people really notice it if they are a typical commuter, quickly passing through between a train and elsewhere. I mostly chalked things up to construction, but recently had need to spend some actual time waiting in the concourse, and only then realized just how awful it was in ways that can't at all be placed at the feet of temporary construction related issues. Construction might cause the lack of adequate lighting. It does not cause the lack of adequate cleaning and maintenance.
They might not, but Stephanie Pollack did. When she was CEO she commuted to work from Newtonville. I shared train cars with her.

I'm not sure if the Tibbits-Nutt, who lives in Lincoln, rides the Fitchburg line to work with any regularity.

Back