South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

The buildings that will eventually flank the tower will provide a much needed horizontal dimension, at least I hope it does.
From most angles, SST seems to awkwardly jut up out of the headhouse without a base to speak of. I think that might be why it looks off kilter from some vantage points as a viewer is unable to distinguish separation between SST and the station itself.

I'm a little late... these are from 1/17

53512110693_62fd8d2491_k.jpg

This glare was pretty nuts

53512374340_9adc5b2949_k.jpg

Moynihan is indeed much sleeker, but I'll take the fundamentals of having a gd place to sit.
Moynihan's food/drink area offers plenty of areas to sit. Having just taking the train from Boston to NYC and back, I definitely agree that South Station feels dark, dingy and dated. There should be at least one place to grab a drink and the food options are subpar at best.

I wish Moynihan's food hall was adjacent to the main concourse. It's sort of off in a corner and out of sight. That said, it's always bumping with people and music.
The Tavern in the Square bar in SS is almost pleasantly quaint with its shitty webcam feed of the board and being so central.

Engineering News Record article (2/12/24):

Interestingly:
  • Citing poor soil conditions, "...the construction team had to excavate down to 150 ft." [to hit bedrock]
  • “This is some of the strongest concrete ever seen in Boston" in reference to the 10'x10' concrete columns and cap beam that ties them together 20' underground

A bunch of other cool nerdy stuff too.

Can't wait to see the next setback go up on this!

Skyscraper-wise, what else might be up for the next cycle? The Aquarium Garage tower(s), assuming the city ever grows a brain ... Copley Place Tower, if we're lucky ... One Bromfield (meh) ... and the total long-shot Columbus Center (+/- any other 'High Spine' developments over the Mass Pike)?

Skyscraper-wise, what else might be up for the next cycle? The Aquarium Garage tower(s), assuming the city ever grows a brain ... Copley Place Tower, if we're lucky ... One Bromfield (meh) ... and the total long-shot Columbus Center (+/- any other 'High Spine' developments over the Mass Pike)?
I might expect another residential tower at BU over the next ten years

Exactly zero of these is happening in high rise form, ever

Exactly zero of these is happening in high rise form, ever
Agreed and I doubt we'll ever see the high-rise expansion that we've seen during the past 10 years or so, ever. There is such a glut of commercial real-estate with more vacancies coming as leases come to term that they will need to re-purpose existing building.

Agreed and I doubt we'll ever see the high-rise expansion that we've seen during the past 10 years or so, ever. There is such a glut of commercial real-estate with more vacancies coming as leases come to term that they will need to re-purpose existing building.
You never know. I remember shortly after 9-11, they said tall building would NEVER be built again............and that certainly didn't come true. There are certainly strong headwinds against any new high-rise construction as you mention, but I'm always surprised at the resiliency of our economy, the desire to reinvent, and the desire to build. I was just reading an article from an architecture magazine from the mid 1980's where they talked about "downtowns" being dead and suburbs were on the rise as the new "it" desirable working areas. Well, that didn't exactly pan out either. LOL So, I'm always hopelessly optimistic.

Certainly there will be less overall new floor space added, but there is still demand for very top-of-market new office space, which is why SST (and 350 Boylston) is under construction in the first place, so wouldn't be surprised to if one or two more high-end office starts occur in the near-term. Agree on repurposing... and depending on the success of incentive programs for those conversions, we can look forward to improvements to the 'feel' of the CBD's vitality as more residents move in. For me, this is more exciting than vertical additions.

Back