The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

IMG_5270.jpeg

The brick-with-gray motif is a little repetitive in the group shots. Does Portland require brick?

RAW-3.JPG

No, but it has kind of become a theme with new downtown construction after all of the sidewalks and plazas were rebuilt with brick and granite in the mid 70's as part of the Maineway project. Fortunately, One Monument Square (Bank of America) had its entire exterior reclad in metal a few years ago which gave it a fresh look when compared to its 10 story twin to the right and helped give the skyline a little more contrast.

Last edited:
53523323676_21df1c0d78_h 2.jpg

This tower would add a new dimension to Portland's skyline and might help break up the brick and granite look!

Federal Street was so much better as a single lane. It really felt better as a pedestrian. Interesting how it's actually tighter that feels more pedestrian scale even though it's a tall building. Now it feels too wide and crossing the street just feels a little less welcoming. We played around with different siding materials. It is a tough balance with managing energy, costs, and aesthetics. Brick just feels easier and more contextual honestly. More grounded and familiar. I like brick. It adds a nice texture. I would like to be more creative and playful with the brick in terms of color and pattern. I think just that can modernize a building without it aging really fast. ~ C

Are they small enough to be transported to the roof via elevator or are they hoisted by crane? Maybe two sections, THE and CASCO?

Are they small enough to be transported to the roof via elevator or are they hoisted by crane? Maybe two sections, THE and CASCO?
Now I'm having visions of the time my brother and I bought my mother a carpet for her senior-living apartment. My SO and I discovered it was too big to fit in the elevator (my brother was living in NY).

It was summer.

We hauled it up the stairs.

My mom was living on the 10th floor of Deering Pavilion.

Fortunately she liked the carpet.

(Hint: if you have a relative moving into that building and an upper floor is possible, try to get an apartment on the front side if available. The back side manages to have a view of absolutely nothing. The front has a penthouse city view that stretches from the B&M plant all the way to Maine Med.)

Catherine, best of luck with the sign installation!

Last edited:

Back