South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

photo_2024-04-05 13.39.27.jpeg

I'd like to see 2 thin residential towers, one on each side from the front of south station at some point in the future just like I'd like to see 2 or 3 residential towers over the tracks at North station in the future. These huge transit hubs need to be used better.

Is this the same construction company that had a fire while building the new State Street HQ and got a worker killed due to structural failure during demolition of the garage. Not a great look if so.

Is this the same construction company that had a fire while building the new State Street HQ and got a worker killed due to structural failure during demolition of the garage. Not a great look if so.

Not according to this website, which lists John Moriarty as the GC for One Congress, whereas South Station Tower is Suffolk Const.

Still not a great look, as you say, given the recent rash of construction-related fatalities/near-disasters in Boston--and given that Councilor Flynn has already hosted City Council hearings re: construction safety in the City, it seems reasonable to presume he'll be all over this like the proverbial cheap suit (and rightly so).

From BFD: Companies working at a fire of construction materials on the outside deck of the 9th floor of a building under construction at 700 Atlantic Ave. No injuries to report. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

I’m so tired of the same uninspired mirrored glass on every tower. We can do better than this, Boston!

Evidently not. All the glass is so bland and boring. They even turned One Post Office Square into just another glass box.
One Post Office Square looks phenomenal in its context. I was just admiring it a few days ago. Very few buildings around One Post Office and South Station are glass, so both really add.

One Post Office Square looks phenomenal in its context. I was just admiring it a few days ago. Very few buildings around One Post Office and South Station are glass, so both really add.
Exchange Place, Atlantic Wharf, 75 High Street, Intercontinental Hotel, 200 State Street, Bullfinch Place and South Station Tower. Yep, not much all glass in that area. 🤣

This is really looking great so far imo. Definitely some broad shoulders on this one. Theres a lot of times where glass additions to neoclassical structures look like a tacked on addition that came down from outer space. The bundeswehr military history museum in Dresden for example:

1712740263802.jpeg

Here though the design languages of the 2 structures are in harmony vs clashing and I think it makes it work. The flat broad roof of the station with the central clock that rises up above the rest of the structure is the same design “language” as the tower with the flat “roof” with the central portion that continues up beyond it. Plus the ground floor level of south station has large arched windows which matches up with the arches at the base of the tower. So the station goes from ground level arches, to broad structure with flat roof, to thin central parapet- to tower with ground level arches, to broad structure with flat roof, to thin central spire. Thats at least to me what my brain sees that makes this work, I’m sure other ppl see different things that stand out as well.

that lowest "floor"/mech floor looks straight out of 1985. nakatomi plaza vibes all over.

Back