Other People's Rail: Amtrak, commuter rail, rapid transit news & views outside New England

Certainly a huge accomplishment for LA. I wish the Santa Monica NIMBYS lost the effort to extend the line to Pier and link up with the E line.
There will eventually be two "crosstown" routes to link the gap between D and E, so at least there will be some options. The K Line will make it's way northward to West Hollywood and cross the D. And the Sepulvida Transit Project will bring a connection further to the west.

Brightline West orders Siemens Velaro 7-car HSR trainsets. Vegas-California is starting to get pretty real with shovels hitting ground on the I-15 median and now this.

Brightline West orders Siemens Velaro 7-car HSR trainsets. Vegas-California is starting to get pretty real with shovels hitting ground on the I-15 median and now this.
Starting to wonder if Brightline should takeover CAHSR to get the project done.

If only they had a real last mile solution in LA. Then it would be a true HSR solution.

Starting to wonder if Brightline should takeover CAHSR to get the project done.

Brightline west is definitely making their life a billion times easier by using the existing right of way in the median of i15 vs the route CAHSR went having to buy/aquire/eminent domain every parcel along the way from LA to SF. I think this is definitely a good model going forward when determining the next cities to build out routes.

I do think it was a good idea that Cali chose the route that included the central valley cities vs skipping them and using the median of i5, but unfortunately route 99 doesnt have room in the median for a train. I wonder if looking back on it they wished they used the route 99 right of way anyways and built the entire thing on an elevated viaduct like they do in east asia. I know building on flat ground for as much as possible is usually preferred for keeping costs down, but in order to do so they have had to spend so much acquiring land and building grade separations that I wonder if just building elevated in the route 99 route would have saved time and money in the end.

If only they had a real last mile solution in LA. Then it would be a true HSR solution.

Isnt what the high desert corridor is for.

HDC-Map.png

https://dpw.sbcounty.gov/transportation/high-desert-corridor/

Palmdale expansion is on the back-burner right now, as it doesn't make much sense to implement until CAHSR gets its act together on last-mile to L.A. Until CAHSR comes, Palmdale will only connect to the service-poor Metrolink Antelope Valley Line, which only runs 11 round-trips daily on a somewhat slow/meandering schedule almost 2 hours long, with a super-anemic (6 RT's) weekend schedule. They're opting in the interim to build to Rancho Cucamonga on the Metrolink San Bernardino Line, which gets 18 RT's (8 weekend) and only takes 1:10 into L.A. Union.

It's the correct decision if they want to get any service starts this decade. Having dependencies on waiting for CAHSR to finish is a fool's game at this point.

Brightline west is definitely making their life a billion times easier by using the existing right of way in the median of i15 vs the route CAHSR went having to buy/aquire/eminent domain every parcel along the way from LA to SF

Recently, I had the "pleasure" of driving from central Florida to the Kennedy Space Center. A decent chunk of the drive paralleled the Brightline line. One (obvious as soon as I thought about it) thing I didn't really consider was that a dedicated passenger line can be much less restricted on grades. There were quite a few places where the line gains and loses elevation relatively quickly to pass over another road.

BTW, seeing an actual passenger train moving at speed going in the opposite direction felt almost surreal. We didn't have time, but the family was "all aboard" with taking a jaunt to Miami the next time we were in the area.

Back