đź”· Open Thread

Church Park in the Fenway at 221 Massachusetts Avenue was sold on Monday for $439 million. It's a 508-unit apartment complex built in the cement Brutalist fashion.

This is the first time this property has ever sold since being built in 1973.

I was/am under the impression that the First Church of Christ, Scientist (Christian Scientists) were somehow involved in the original land deal but I can't find anything. Does anyone have the details?

The land was taken by eminent domain (I believe) and the entire city block of buildings demolished. One of the buildings on the street was the Loew's State Theatre. It was also known as the Donnelly Memorial Theatre and finally the Back Bay Theatre.

Judy Garland was one of the last performers at the Back Bay Theatre. She sang there in May 1968 following-up on her prior year's appearance on the Boston Common in front of 100,000+ fans.

225 Hemenway St

Does anyone have any information on this parcel?

It's owned by the city, has never been built on, and as far as I know has never been included in any development plans.

1685584902231.png

Interesting question! My first thought was it had something to do with the old Stony Brook canal, which followed what is now Forsyth Way from 1889 to 1905. However, it was fully filled in, and clearly did not stop construction of the MFA on the opposite side. (Compare to the older conduit further up Hemenway, marked as "Stony Brook Sewer Easement" on that aerial, which is still active.)

1685591401743.png

Interesting question! My first thought was it had something to do with the old Stony Brook canal, which followed what is now Forsyth Way from 1889 to 1905. However, it was fully filled in, and clearly did not stop construction of the MFA on the opposite side. (Compare to the older conduit further up Hemenway, marked as "Stony Brook Sewer Easement" on that aerial, which is still active.)

View attachment 38640
Thanks for the info. Where did this map and cross section come from? I'd love to see more of it.

Thanks for the info. Where did this map and cross section come from? I'd love to see more of it.

From this 1892 engineering journal article:

The Wikipedia article that I wrote should be a decent overview as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stony_Brook_(Charles_River_tributary,_Boston)

If anyone is wondering what the current state of wealthy high schools' construction costs are... Andover is independently (no MSBA) navigating through design of a new high school, at a cost of.... $484 million. With potential adds (i.e. not included in the $484m) including:
  • Solar: $17M
  • Timber Structure: $7.5M
  • Porous Pavement: $6.3M
  • Plateau field: $2.4M
  • Skate Park: $4.7M
  • Parking garage: $43M
  • Sports Lighting: $5.1M
Recent presentation

Project website

If anyone is wondering what the current state of wealthy high schools' construction costs are... Andover is independently (no MSBA) navigating through design of a new high school, at a cost of.... $484 million. With potential adds (i.e. not included in the $484m) including:
  • Solar: $17M
  • Timber Structure: $7.5M
  • Porous Pavement: $6.3M
  • Plateau field: $2.4M
  • Skate Park: $4.7M
  • Parking garage: $43M
  • Sports Lighting: $5.1M
Recent presentation

Project website
Parking 43M? So sad

Speaking of parking, I saw this pic on Reddit today. Reddit

One of the comments mentions all the parking still exists, it's just underground. The strings gets more informative about "parking ratios" (I forgot all about those) and provided a couple of interesting links. Just throwing out there for info / fodder. I'm glad there are people out there to lead these governing efforts to prevent South Boston from becoming more of a parking lot.

Max parking ratios - Boston
APCC (Air Pollution Control)

seaport.png

Flooding in NYC after 20 centimeters (8 inches) of rain, resulting in shutdowns of the subway system. Huge delays and large amounts of cancellations in airports and Amtrak. Schools have flooded. Highways overwhelmed with stormwater.

1696020217436.png

Last edited:
I have a BlueSky invite code if anyone wants/needs one. Just DM me - First come/first serve

I have a BlueSky invite code if anyone wants/needs one. Just DM me - First come/first serve
I just got on there too and have now started receiving my first codes, same thing if anyone wants one dm me and Ill give them out as they come.

Back