đź”· Open Thread

Topsfield Faire starts this Friday, October 1st and runs through October 10th. Yeh.

Boston Street View finally updated! Now featuring pretty pictures of everything in between the intersections.

And apparently Cambridge still gets the shaft (yet Brookline is bright and shiny)

Cool new city maps made completely of words; only Boston and Chicago available now:

bos1b.jpg

http://www.axismaps.com/typographic.php

Not only are the ones I posted deleted from YouTube, but these two vids were way better and more informational than the crappy 5-part one I posted.

I wonder if this train is the origin of the produce on the Chelsea Market produce train.

I think it's great how successful this is, from 1 train out of Washington to 3, 2 out of a brand new California facility, in 3 years? And they're going to add a 4th? AND increase the lengths of the trains and size of the receiving facility in New York? Sounds like great business to me. All at 1/3 the fuel and emissions of a truck but in the same time. I think it's a good sign for the future of freight rail and it's possibilities.

Heya, tomorrow is Oktoberfest in Harvard Square. All the usual suspects will be there -- tons of food, beer and a bitching parade -- but also my band will be playing on the main stage at noon! Come out and see the spectacle, get a little drunk, then go home and watch some football! (that's what I'll be doing)

I'll look for you. Are you one of the HONK bands that was also in Davis Sq today?

Nope. I'm with [url="www.facebook.com/gentlemenhall]Gentlemen Hall[/url] and I'm the drummer. I don't know if you remember but we met once before at a 2006 meeting about the Memorial Drive reconstruction at Morse elementary, and I'll keep an eye out for you.

How would you guys argue with someone who thinks warm weather and strip malls are better than dense and compact cities? Also, how do you argue with somebody that thinks driving a car is part of American culture and you're weird or un-american if you don't?

I wouldn't. Wafting in your mobile barcalounger to Walmart or Target and getting everything you need in one place is great. You miss less TV that way.

Well, maybe you go go the health route. People from suburban America can't concieve of walking or biking as a form of transportation. (I'm generalizing, so shoot me) My relatives from Ohio visited recently and marveled at how many not fat people there were in Boston.

Last edited:
Urbanity would be more popular if the typical politics within urban centers was less corrupt and punitive tax wise. Entrenched political machines, their army of hacks, and legions of loyal dependents on the government plantation are the stuff of nightmares for the small government crowd. Urban centers should have LOWER TAXES due to the efficiency of providing services and have having an overall denser tax paying population, however that is never the case due to corruption and the welfare state.

One also has to remember that people far away from large urban centers are used to being more isolated and on their own. Typically they aren't dealing with as much regulation or interaction with the government and really don't see too many government funded services or infrastructure beyond roads. So the thought of higher taxation for services they don't use or have never seen, regulation as interference in their life, less personal space, and the lower importance placed on roads, is disturbing.

Drop your average city dweller in the boonies and the same reaction will occur. What do you mean there aren't regulations? Where's XYC service? Why's the only transit public roads? This place is huge!

One some bad news two rehersal places, joined in one building, closed about a month ago in Allston, the sound meuseam and the other one, which I just called Rugg Rd. Rugg Rd was clutch for musicians just forming bands. I was recently practicing in there. The rooms went for 10 an hour and came furbished w/ shitty gear, but gear non-the-less. It was actually one of the most schitzophrantic buildings I've ever been in, with MK II arcades, stuffed animals, a real live Boa Constrictor, Medevil swords, and all other types of shit. The other facility was a montly rental and had flavor on par w/ all other urban post industrial reherasl facilities. I was wondering if any one knew why they had to close? There must have been plenty of fire code violations, but that didn't seem to stop them before.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

In my day there was a machine shop on Rugg Road run by a father son combo (90 and 60 years old) that would build you a very nice Packard engine. I used them to port, polish and deck Alfa engines.

Back