đź”· Open Thread

^ It's not tracking students, it's tracking graduates.

The Manhattan number is ridiculous. Was Manhattan really that undesirable in 2000? I thought the crime problems had been more or less solved by the mid 90s?

I don't think it was "undesirable", but it's certainly a surprisingly different place even compared to the Manhattan I moved to in 2003. The rate of gentrification/homogenization has been out of control.

I'm surprised at the comparatively low Brooklyn figure, though, and the (encouragingly?) high Bronx one.

That's a large increase in people with (probably) useless degrees. This always makes me laugh when I watch it.

Celente, from the Bronx says something about MBAs that every student or parent should probably know (he talks about it 16 minutes into the vid) I guess we have a lot of people with worthless bachelor's degree qualified people working at Starbucks here in the city, that's all.

The Manhattan number is ridiculous. Was Manhattan really that undesirable in 2000? I thought the crime problems had been more or less solved by the mid 90s?

In 2000 the murder rate (in all five boros of New York City) was twice the rate of what it is currently. There was also some other funny stuff still going on at that time, (11 cab drivers murdered/mass shootings at fast food restaurants) but as you say, the early-mid 90s was worse.

Early 90s had something like 2000 murders a year, more than 4 times current rates and by 95 it had almost halved to around 1100.

51U7H7Q4PQL._SL500_.jpg

This is the byproduct when the atoms of a diamond are split.

Because I'm an effing Boston police officer, that's why!

IMG00899-20101209-12051.jpg

Yes, I'm going to keep posting these!

Hmmm. Today was probably the slowest day I've ever seen. Other than this forum (the General forum), we haven't had a post in 24 hours...

Everyone must have been outside enjoying the beautiful weather...

When there's not much going on in the city, you're going to get one these dog days. How about them Pats though?

I was disappointed not to get feedback on my posts. It's all about timing, I guess.

Maybe this will generate some interest.

Google Maps, South End edition:

finger.png

^ Ahahaha, that's awesome! I've been waiting to hopefully see the Google Car someday to do something, not sure what though.

^ Ahahaha, that's awesome! I've been waiting to hopefully see the Google Car someday to do something, not sure what though.

When you see the Google Car coming, stand at the edge of the road. Then as it passes you, pose in a way that it looks like you got sideswiped by it. Then lay on the side of the sidewalk as continuation.

I just got my first smartphone (android os) and I'm having trouble posting embedding pics from picassa on this board. Copying and pasting the url isn't working. What else do you guys use?

Dear Santa,

I would like one of these to put my pencils in.

I've been a very good boy this year.

Sincerely,

Tom Menino

Amusing little story out of Troy, NY (near Albany)

City of Beans, Not of Collars

Troy has more than its share of beautiful buildings, gracious streets and memorable urban landscapes.

But the image that graces the city's official website, letterhead and business cards?

That's a photo of Boston.

The photograph has been used by Troy since its current website design was developed in 2003. The image stretches across the top of the page and shows a street of tightly squeezed houses, with undulating bay windows and a flowering magnolia tree.

The city began using the photo more broadly in 2004, when Mayor Harry Tutunjian took office. Tutunjian on Wednesday said he liked the photo, so decided to have it placed on city letterhead and elsewhere.

"We never questioned where it was from," Tutunjian said.

Full Article

Back