1 - 101 Main St. | Broad Canal Zoning + Development | Cambridge

A more detailed PDF of the zoning petition is now posted publicly on the Cambridge City Council site here.

The following exhibits are included in the posting ("Subdistrict Zoning Petition As Submitted"):

ExC.png

ExD.png

ExE1.png

ExE2.png

Last edited:
This one has an upcoming Planning Board meeting scheduled (May 4):
https://courbanize.com/projects/broadcanal/updates

Meanwhile the City of Cambridge Community Development Department released a memo today (Apr 27) to the Planning Board :

There's an interesting summary of the history of Kendall-area zoning changes within it.

The memo also reiterates what we saw earlier (p. 9):
...the Planning Board may approve a building up to 350’ in height if it is so designed to be “a distinctive architectural landmark”.

I think this project makes sense on a macro level: dense office space near transit, although the general office/ residential imbalance is another, maybe bigger macro issue, but anyway no one's talking about that and housing cost will continue upward. But I dont buy that a wall of office blocks will make this area more attractive. I feel like they need a different sales pitch. Maybe focusing on the "smart growth" aspect or something.

I think this project makes sense on a macro level: dense office space near transit, although the general office/ residential imbalance is another, maybe bigger macro issue, but anyway no one's talking about that and housing cost will continue upward. But I dont buy that a wall of office blocks will make this area more attractive. I feel like they need a different sales pitch. Maybe focusing on the "smart growth" aspect or something.

Agreed. Lots of lab/office space pounding upwards in/around this area and frankly Boston too. Im not seeing a whole lot of Apts/Residential Space come forward in projects like these. Would love this to be condos/apts and add some supply.

This one has an upcoming Planning Board meeting scheduled (May 4):
https://courbanize.com/projects/broadcanal/updates

Meanwhile the City of Cambridge Community Development Department released a memo today (Apr 27) to the Planning Board :

There's an interesting summary of the history of Kendall-area zoning changes within it.

The memo also reiterates what we saw earlier (p. 9):

The video presentation in that Courbanize link was well done!

Planning Board pushed back at yesterday's meeting, asking for housing to be incorporated and asking for improvements to the existing One Main/101 Main buildings. Summarized here: https://www.cambridgeday.com/2021/0...h-slight-changes-broad-canal-plan-displeases/

It seems the Kendall area mixed-use philosophy positions mixed-use as a requirement, rather than as an opportunity. Meanwhile, since this developer needs a zoning modification for this project, the city has the opportunity to extend mixed-use into this new subdistrict zoning, and it appears they're going to take that opportunity. It will be interesting to see a revised proposal here, as the developer expressed anticipation for multiple iterations before the board (from CoUrb):
...we are anticipating multiple meetings with both the Ordinance Committee and the Planning Board prior to sitting before the full City Council for approval.

Planning Board pushed back at yesterday's meeting, asking for housing to be incorporated and asking for improvements to the existing One Main/101 Main buildings. Summarized here: https://www.cambridgeday.com/2021/0...h-slight-changes-broad-canal-plan-displeases/

It seems the Kendall area mixed-use philosophy positions mixed-use as a requirement, rather than as an opportunity. Meanwhile, since this developer needs a zoning modification for this project, the city has the opportunity to extend mixed-use into this new subdistrict zoning, and it appears they're going to take that opportunity. It will be interesting to see a revised proposal here, as the developer expressed anticipation for multiple iterations before the board (from CoUrb):
This is a good thing Kendall needs more life and residential is key to it

Back