1 City Square | Worcester

ctsketch

Reaction score
Lets see if this proposal happens, the last 1 city square did not, wasn't a great time for office buildings. 145 units. Shame to lose that green space over the garage but at least they kept some. I liked that green....

1CS.JPG

Maybe there's structural reasons stuff can't go taller here but Worcester really should be encouraging these downtown parcels to go into the 10-20 story range. If there's any place in Worcester that can handle some height it's this area.

Maybe there's structural reasons stuff can't go taller here but Worcester really should be encouraging these downtown parcels to go into the 10-20 story range. If there's any place in Worcester that can handle some height it's this area.

When you have the space, this type of development is more efficient. Going taller can have diminishing returns

When you have the space, this type of development is more efficient. Going taller can have diminishing returns

Yea it's a fair point the economics might not work out for taller, though, there are ways to mitigate that. I just think there's definitely some lost opportunity here to not go taller and denser in this particular area.

As for the proposal... I am not a fan of the materials. Most of the new construction downtown looks like it has really been scraping the bottom of the barrel which is unfortunate.

Yea it's a fair point the economics might not work out for taller, though, there are ways to mitigate that. I just think there's definitely some lost opportunity here to not go taller and denser in this particular area.

As for the proposal... I am not a fan of the materials. Most of the new construction downtown looks like it has really been scraping the bottom of the barrel which is unfortunate.

How would you mitigate the cost? But that's what I'm saying, taller.doesnt mean more dense..when you go taller sometimes there are things you also have to give up space wise. Look at 201 federal in Portland. The tallest in maine...impressive....not a very high unit count. To the best economic/density balanced, this type of development is best.

The only missed opportunity is improving the skyline

Totally agree on materials, lack luster lately

Last edited:
Yikes. I do like the “townhouse” addition, but that corner looks depressing. There have been better proposals for that area, even if they don’t cover the same footprint. Even the office proposal was more elegant.

842746BF-C584-4562-B4F8-1B214BBE7199.jpeg

Lets see if this proposal happens, the last 1 city square did not, wasn't a great time for office buildings. 145 units. Shame to lose that green space over the garage but at least they kept some. I liked that green....

View attachment 33130

Ugly!

Yikes. I do like the “townhouse” addition, but that corner looks depressing. There have been better proposals for that area, even if they don’t cover the same footprint. Even the office proposal was more elegant.

View attachment 33151

Was that the previous proposal? Looks much better!

Was that the previous proposal? Looks much better!

It was more of a study than a serious proposal, and the building was built in front of the existing garage rather than on the square.

The last proposal was for office space and retail:
1-City-Sq-Worcester-MA-1-CitySquare-Rendering-1-Large.jpg

Back