115 Federal St. (Winthrop Square)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It begins.

Be gentle with the design.....or lack of. This took 5 min in SketchUp. God I LOVE Google.

Also, it is 1250', not 1000'. I figure what the hell.

Seeing it in place like that for the first time makes the rest of the city look infinitely larger.

Only two paragraphs because you now have to pay to read the BBJ online ($113 a year) ... but what little we can read here is still interesting:

Hub architects: No chance for mayor's tower
Boston Business Journal - September 29, 2006
by Michelle Hillman
Journal staff

Local architects fear that out-of-town rivals have the inside track to design the proposed tower that would be the city's architectural statement of the 21st century. They now have another reason to worry following a stealth site visit last week from superstar building designer Renzo Piano.

The Italian behind landmarks including the Pompidou Centre in Paris and the Beyeler Foundation Museum in Basel, Switzerland, met with Steve Belkin, a politically wired businessman who owns an adjacent building that would be razed to make room for New England's tallest skyscraper and is widely considered to be a front-runner in the competition.

http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2006/10/02/story3.html

Anyone want to fill us in on what the rest of it says?

Belkin bio

A little about our probable developer, bio taken from the Hawks website; Im also a Cornell alumni, but this clears up the issue of his local ties vs. why does he own Atlanta sports teams but want to build here.....

Steve Belkin
Board of Managers, Atlanta Spirit LLC

Steven Belkin is founder and chairman of Trans National Group (TNG), a privately held company headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. Widely respected as a creative, visionary entrepreneur and philanthropist, Belkin developed TNG into a unique, thriving enterprise through 29 years of growth. TNG is currently the world leader in Affinity Group marketing, with unsurpassed record of achievement.
Belkin pioneered the concept of using direct mail marketing to provide producers and services to the Affinity Group marketplace. Belkin was also the founder of affinity credit cards. Each TNG division markets its own unique products and services, sharing Belkin?s philosophy and inherent focus on product excellence, strict quality control, and dedicated customer service.

Belkin serves on the board of trustees for Cornell University, the Boston Medical Center, the Sports Museum of New England and is on the board of directors for the Hoffman Institute. Belkin also sits on the Harvard College visiting committee, committee on university resources and was a member of Harvard?s board of overseers for the Graduate School of Business Administration (1996-2002).

Belkin is the recipient of Cornell University?s Alumni Volunteerism Award, New England Association of Healthcare Philanthropy-Distinguished Service to Philanthropy Award, Reach Out and Read National Center?s Literacy Champion Award and The ADL Distinguished Community Service Award.

Belkin has had a long-term interest in purchasing a NBA franchise and he was Larry Bird?s partner in the attempt to buy the new Charlotte franchise. Belkin graduated from Cornell University with a bachelor of science in Industrial Engineering and from Harvard Business School with a master of business administration. He is married to Joan Wolfers Belkin and they have two daughters. Belkin will serve as the NBA Governor.

Mike said:
Only two paragraphs because you now have to pay to read the BBJ online ($113 a year) ... but what little we can read here is still interesting:

Hub architects: No chance for mayor's tower
Boston Business Journal - September 29, 2006
by Michelle Hillman
Journal staff
Local architects fear that out-of-town rivals have the inside track to design the proposed tower that would be the city's architectural statement of the 21st century. They now have another reason to worry following a stealth site visit last week from superstar building designer Renzo Piano.
The Italian behind landmarks including the Pompidou Centre in Paris and the Beyeler Foundation Museum in Basel, Switzerland, met with Steve Belkin, a politically wired businessman who owns an adjacent building that would be razed to make room for New England's tallest skyscraper and is widely considered to be a front-runner in the competition.
http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2006/10/02/story3.html
Anyone want to fill us in on what the rest of it says?

Well, isn't that frustrating...

Steve Belkin is a shady businessman with even shadier contacts from the Providence area (the italian kind). It would best serve any projects he was involved with if he were not the lead financier. This is someone the city should look to distance itself from, not embrace.

Did you know you can't get the BBJ on the street in Boston anymore? There are no boxes and the few newstands I tried didn't carry it. I'll try the Business Library at lunchtime. Maybe Borders will have it.

If we really want to keep the BBJ as a source, we could all pitch in and buy a forum subscription. It shouldn't cost much if the majority of people contribute something.....just an idea. It's a shame that it's not free anymore, they have good stories most of the time.

so now that the deadline is around the corner, does anyone have any specific architect they would like to see the tower be designed by? i was thinking foster and partners. has anyone been to their website and browsed their work? its all so amazing...

I'm sure CBT will get it. Whoever does, though, has to provide ample space to park the employees' jet packs.

justin

Let the countdown begin! Shall I pop open the champagne? Or would that be jumping the gun? Shall I reserve the 83rd floor function room? So many questions...

Seeing those pictures makes me realize how far from the Common the building will actually be. Won't any possible shadows only be on the Common very early in the morning and only for a short time? Is there any way that we can do some sort of shadow measurement? It's great to actually put the building in perspective though, I hope this lives up to the hype and we can have a big skyscraper that really "wows" people.

tmac9wr said:
Won't any possible shadows only be on the Common very early in the morning and only for a short time? Is there any way that we can do some sort of shadow measurement?
Who cares?

NIMBYs. Best to fight them on their terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back